arpeggios

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Devon8822

arpeggios

Post by Devon8822 »

I just checked out the arpeggio section of the site and I am a bit confused because they appear to have more than a normal arpeggio. For example the first one is an e minor arpeggio, except... it has more than just the 1st, 3rd, and 5th... it seems to have the 2nd in there as well... im very confused why this is there? can someone explain? thanks

heres the tab for the arpeggio I used as an example.

Code: Select all

E!-----!-----!-----!-----!-----!--4--!
B!-----!-----!-----!-----!-----!--4--!
G!-----!-----!--1--!-----!--3--!--4--!
D!-----!-----!--1--!-----!-----!-----!
A!-(1)-!-----!--3--!--4--!-----!-----!
E!-----!-----!-----!-----!-----!-----!
   7th
clausci

Post by clausci »

it is just a minor arpeggio with the ninth.
the second is called more often the ninth in this case, and in gypsy jazz also appear the sixth often in the minor and major arpeggios.
Claudio
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

yes - a lot of gypsy jazz is based on licks/patterns, so terminology gets confused. people might say "minor arpeggio" referring to what is actually a minor 9th or minor 6th arpeggio. since lots of these things are learned by fingerboard pattern the names don't matter as much.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

I wondered if anybody actually looked at those pages.
Sweet
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Those pages were my first lessons many moons ago.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

justjack wrote:Those pages were my first lessons many moons ago.
mine too! I remember the whole thing was so mysterious - there was almost no footage available of people playing this style, except probably for bootlegged videotapes, and I'd only seen pictures of Selmer style guitars. And of course I had heard the sound of the guitars and was mesmerized. I wanted one so badly, but I couldn't even afford the odd Saga that popped up every now and then (the DG series, well before the Gitanes existed).

Access to every aspect of this music has increased incredibly since the mid 1990s.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Yeah, it's really pretty incredible how quickly things have changed. When I was looking at those pages they were still part of Steve's ourworld.compuserve website...1996 or 97 I think--I was using the computer at the local library. I pored over that stuff for at least a year or two before I met anyone who had any interest in it. It really was a mystery.

Thanks again, Zoot.