Nerves!!!

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

DaveM

Nerves!!!

Post by DaveM »

Does anybody know a good way to get over pre-gig nerves? :oops: I've recently started gigging and i'm getting so nerous before gigs that i literally cant play. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

Just remember the reason you're gigging is because you're good enough to.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

If I can be serious for a while this is something that affects most players to a greater or lesser extent - me included I hasten to add. It is all a question of scale, I don't bother about regular gigs now but am accutely aware of butterflies in the stomach before TV stuff. Martin Taylor said the only way he put the thing to bed was continually get out there and do it. After a while playing solo at Samois is the equilalent to a pub gig I suppose. John Jorgenson seemed immune to nerves but will admit to bricking it before playing Samois. He maintains it focussed him and everybody admits he nailed it.
There is a fine line between being concious of the moment and shaking like a leaf making any playing impossible but to me the passage of time has sorted most things out. If you are just starting out just keep doing it and with every gig you will gain confidence. Preperation is everything and if you can play a piece without a mistake at home you should be able to do it under pressure. If you can't keep practicing until it is so 'second nature' even if you are nervy you can still deliver the performance. Another trick is just give yourself a good talking to before the gig. You can say we can do this two ways - firstly I can get that wound up I play like a prat and go home upset or you can convince yourself that the people are on your side, share their good times and tell yourself that the pressure is self inflicted.
If all this is bollocks then there are plenty of books on the subject as it is something that has been plaguing musos for centuries.
Ganondorf

Post by Ganondorf »

My mate ian never gets nerves before he plays. His mind is so focused that if i there is no sound, you can hear the force travelling through him. He learnt his craft from obi wan kenobe. Legend. Gadjo, what tv work have you done? Do you have any clips?
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

In the good old days in Manchster loads of stuff when Granada was active but lately the only TV sessions coming through are S4C (Welsh language stuff) and I gather now most of that is going south to Cardiff. I'll show you a recent show I did for them in the house band of an arts show where the guest artist was that great jazz player - Trefor Owen!!! Thankfully nothing on youtube that I know of.

Talking of nerves not affecting performance check out John at Samois
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdbcaI6PTY
Gmajor

Post by Gmajor »

My nerves started when I met the Bass player, but Ive been given tablets by my Doctor but serious for a mo when I played in a Dance Band with more musicians to hide behind no problem or playing as a group with a singer great, it's the competitiveness of this music and the followers of it , and the focus on the player's.The audience will invariably be guitarist and that adds pressure so my salution to it was fuckthem their all a complete set of bastard's good look ,I'm sure you will be great and as my Bass player say's you;ve not been practising.
jack

Post by jack »

It's been stated here already, but I just want to second the advice to just keep on doing it. Don't worry, it does get easier.

When I started gigging, I'd get pretty bad nerves. It felt really weird, like I was in someone else's body. I felt like I had to contend with a different set of arms than the ones I had been working with in the practice room. Generally I'd just play through the nerves, and most nights the gigs would go well. After doing enough of them, that feeling went away. I usually feel completely normal on stage now. I still get a little nervous on more high pressure gigs, but even that doesn't feel anything like those first gigs did.

it's great that you're gigging, enjoy it, persevere and you'll get control of the nerves. Good luck.

-Jack
maca

Post by maca »

Quite a few years ago I was told by a teacher that your playing level is reduced by about 40% when you play live due to nerves,basically this meant (as I was new to all this) that I was SHIT! I decided to get out and play as much as I could either jamming with a mate at home or going to an organised open mic thing, experience is priceless. It's like making omelettes, the more you do the better they become but sometimes you end up egg-bound!

ps I can make scrambled eggs now 8)
DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Many thanks to all of your helpful tips. I know it gets easier, i just dont want to wait. Saying that, i did a gig on saturday and i felt a lot less nervous, infact, it went so well im looking forward to the next one!
lnb

Post by lnb »

a violinist/good friend of mine swears by this book
http://www.musicroom.com/en-US/se/ID_No ... tails.html
works for her, dont see why it will not work for guitarists.
other than that take a herbal version of beta blockers like valerian or Kava.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
Teddy Dupont

Re: Nerves!!!

Post by Teddy Dupont »

DaveM wrote: I've recently started gigging and...........i literally cant play.
Exactly the same thing happens to me but it's got nothing to do with nerves. I'm just a shite player.
stublag

Post by stublag »

There's a wonderful book by Kenny Werner called "Effortless mastery"(advance music ) which goes deep into the psychology of performance as it relates to improvisation;its really helpful imo.
I was shitting it at Goss this year but i got through it and thats the important thing-next time won't be as bad.
Stu