Footsteps

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

GitarrenPapst

Footsteps

Post by GitarrenPapst »

I noticed Nousche's foot is constantly tapping with the beat on the samois dvd.
(A lot of) other players (like bireli) dont seem to count along like that.
my teacher always told me not to do that, because it makes you speed up and also be more tense than relaxed.
i dont think that nousche is speeding up at all, he seems to be one of the best and experienced rhythm players around

any opinions? is it worth practicing that?
greets
cap_django

Post by cap_django »

More important is to just practice with a metronome.

I notice I always carelessly stomp away but whenever I do, I stop it. I've noticed a big difference in where my attention goes. If the foot stomps, that's indirectly telling you that you're losing some focus to stomping which is more useful to put into the hands.

Once you've become totally solid, like Nous'che, stomp away all you want. Until then, I recommend against it, Michael Horowitz recommends against it, and according to Michael, the gypsies are generally against that as well.
djangology

Post by djangology »

being capable of stomping your feet on any song is an incredible skill to have. you will sometimes need it. it comes in handy. it sounds like an easy thing to do but it isn't. its good to tap your foot while you practice soloing to a jam track. Keven Nolan does it a lot, and I think he does it in good taste.
phil_g

Post by phil_g »

If the foot taps on it's own why waste energy stopping it?
devinci

Post by devinci »

Bireli does a side shuffle foot stomp thing, check it out on his new DVD.
Agent

Post by Agent »

Michael Horowitz only advises against "excessive foot-stomping", not against keeping time with your foot per se. I'm surprised to learn that some people are down on this. In their recent classes at the Que both Stephanne Wrembel and Biel Ballester stressed the importance of just practising tapping time with a metronome--that is, without playing anything at all or perhaps just articulating the rhythm in speech. And Robin Nolan writes:
"Begin by always tapping your foot in time with your playing. I cannot stress enough the importance of physically tapping the pulse out with your foot...Whenever and wherever you hear music in your daily life try to pick up the pulse and tap along with the beat. It's good training. You will make better music."
Okay, that last bit isn't actually about tapping and playing at the same time, and none of the authorities I'm quoting are Gypsies, but Bireli clearly taps a lot on the Vienne DVD and I've heard that Yourgui Loeffler has had to scrap takes in the studio because the sound of his tapping was so distinct.
ramsezaz

Post by ramsezaz »

The lead guitarist of our band took some lessons with sami daussat who's first remark was :
"Damn you don't swing ! Tap your foot in rythm, it'll help you feel the beat and swing like mad"...
and indeed, now he swings :)
"Free your mind, and your ass will follow" © George Clinton
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

when you tap your foot on every beat the tendency is to speed up, so that's something to keep in mind.... another solution is to tap on 1 and 3... or 2 and 4 for those who do that... or feel the pulse somehow with your body like devinci hehehehe
blindbluesandjazz

Post by blindbluesandjazz »

I tap my left foot on the 1 and 3, and my right foot on the offbeats. This also enables me to sway back and forth in time. This is very useful when playing for dancers.
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
kcox

Post by kcox »

I just sat within arms reach of Patrick Saussois two nights in a row, and he tapped his heel from time to time, but not usually for very long. It really rang out because he was on a wooden stage and had hard heels on.
c'est chaud!!!!!!!
BachelorNo2

Post by BachelorNo2 »

I'm a big fan of Bireli's footwork in the Live in Vienne DVD! For me foot tapping can't be helped, it's just an instinctive reaction to the music.
troychapman

Post by troychapman »

Not tapping your foot seems a bit silly. And purposefully not tapping your foot even sillier.

I have found, almost without fail, that the great players tap their feet in time. They ALL tap their feet. Some more blatantly than others, some more consistently, but it's always there.

You can tell the good players from the lesser immediately because the latter can't tap their feet in time and play at the same time.

I just got out Bireli in Vienna and turned on Les Yeux Noir. Bireli, Stochelo, Dorado, Angelo, Tchavolo, Samy, Diego. ALL ARE TAPPING THEIR FEET.This is about 2/3's of the way through so don't watch it and tell me Dorado isn't tapping his foot.

Drummers tap their feet constantly. On all four beats. Do you think they were taught NOT to do that because they may speed up?

It's all a bit of a smoke screen. Music comes from your whole body not just your hands. If tapping your foot makes you speed up, slow down, not swing, whatever, it is because you have a bad sense time. Period.
Don't blame the messenger (your foot, not me:).

It's a bit late here on the west cost of the U.S. so maybe I'm sounding a bit harsh but really...

If you can't tap your left foot in time with you right hand...

Spend more time practicing with a metronome, not discussing whether you should be tapping your foot in the first place.

And that's the pot calling the kettle black!!

Troy
GitarrenPapst

Post by GitarrenPapst »

wow!...thanks for all those replies!!! it really seems i've been wrong on this one!
i think i'll start just tappig along with the metronome or a record, and after i get comfortable just strum away on one simple chord before trying to play a whole tune while tapping.

only problem is, until now i played either with legs crossed or one foot placed on the other (like angelo does sometimes...), so i'll have to cxhange my whole body position in order to tap properly.

...by the way, i find i really hard to get a comfy chair some kind of seat to play on, my back is always killing me afer two hours of practicing....
- greets