DJANGO ALTERNATE TUNING RETRACTION ALMOST

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

jackthe hack

DJANGO ALTERNATE TUNING RETRACTION ALMOST

Post by jackthe hack »

i am sure THEmaster didnt always retune,but listen to the pieces he sweeps(diminushed ascend with D7 like ascending by3fret chords).you must slow down the recordings listen carefully,these song have without a doubt alter tuning,sorry i am not as knowledgable to his style as you folks.for years i have recorded bit parts,keys and guitar, for singers ect and have focused on an array of styles.i always over do it.in final,we all can copy Jimi,Page,Stevie,yet my research led me to believe that not another guitarist on the whole planet has even came close to tying His shoe laces.
i am new
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have never heard a Django song that I would say he was playing in a open tuning (apart from drop D).

I don't see how an open tuning would make playing this style any easier anyway.. plus if he has used them then he would have passed it on to other Gypsys and we would be seeing players today using it.

Which songs do you think he is using an alternate tuning on (and why)?

Surely if modern players like Bireli can play the way they do in standard tuning Django could have done the same.

There is no doubt in my mind that Django used standard tuning 99.9% of the time..
kcox

Post by kcox »

Are you talking about the diminished sweeps where he uses the little triangular shape like this (where numbers indicate fret position)...

--3--|-6---
--2--|-5---
--3--|-6---
------------
------------

These are exceedingly simple to play in regular tuning, why would you think he had problems with them?

Kevin
c'est chaud!!!!!!!
Teddy Dupont

Re: DJANGO ALTERNATE TUNING RETRACTION ALMOST

Post by Teddy Dupont »

jackthe hack wrote:...yet my research led me to believe that not another guitarist on the whole planet has even came close to tying His shoe laces.
Maybe so but there is absolutely no doubt he used standard tuning.
jackthe hack

say kevin

Post by jackthe hack »

you're playing this with 3 finger?django used 1
i am new
jackthe hack

Post by jackthe hack »

rich
iv only studied about ten pieces,listened to about 100.i found drop D tuning,with the rest tuned to either G6 or Gm6,listen and try.perhaps he doesnt take the same short cuts as i.
i am new
kcox

Post by kcox »

Sorry, Django used at least two fingers (not one) and he could use his third (and the fourth tagged along) to chord. He likely slapped his limp fingers on the E string in that particular shape in order to do it. Have you seen the J'attendrai footage of him playing? Go look at the videos on www.about-django.com

Besides which, as Michael already mentioned, Django uses quite a large number of tricks that could only be pulled off in standard tuning. Which specific pieces are you talking about, maybe we can discuss this a bit less abstractly.

Best,

Kevin
Last edited by kcox on Sun May 22, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c'est chaud!!!!!!!
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

kcox wrote: Besides which, as Michael already mentioned, Django uses quite a large number of tricks that could only be pulled off in open tuning.
Best,

Kevin
Kevin, I'm sure you mean "Django uses quite a large number of tricks that could only be pulled off in standard tuning." No? Let's not add fuel to the fire...

Best,
Jack.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

justjack wrote: Kevin, I'm sure you mean "Django uses quite a large number of tricks that could only be pulled off in standard tuning." No? Let's not add fuel to the fire...
I assumed Kevin meant Django used a large number of tricks and chords that involved open strings with standard tuning hence proving it is standard tuning.
jackthe hack wrote:you're playing this with 3 finger?django used 1
:shock: Yor avin a larf. Aint cha? - Django was good but not that good!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yeah, I'd suggest watching the Django clips on the net. He is clearly playing in standard tuning there.

Plus as said before listen out for the open string tricks he uses such as fretting the 5th fret of the b string and playing it with the open e string (as can be found on the solo in I'll See You In My Dreams and many others).

As for the diminished trick Django could have done this, just like he does the intro to improvisation 2. (Which also makes use of him playing the open strings later in the piece)

I can see why u may think he used open tuning if you think he is only playing with one finger.. but he used 2 and could use his other damaged 2 on the bottom 3 string.
Last edited by Rich on Sun May 22, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcox

Post by kcox »

Thanks JJ and Ted, I did of course mean standard tuning. I must have been thinking about "open string tricks in standard tuning" and only got part of it down... I have corrected myself in editing.

Cheers,

Kevin
c'est chaud!!!!!!!
troychapman

Post by troychapman »

On the next Integrale CD there's a tune where Django doesn't use ANY fingers. He just uses his genius to will the guitar into playing itself.

In standard tuning, of course.

I've been practicing this technique and I'm proud to say I can get the guitar to play an Em11 (if I drop it on the floor).
RICK-D15

Post by RICK-D15 »

Also, on some songs it sounds like he's using a capo, possibly two.
"It's all one big note" - Frank Zappa
frater

Post by frater »

O.K., let's face the plain truth: Grappelli did never exist.
Listen closely: it's actually Django using an Ebow... :D
~Ja Mahavishnu~

Post by ~Ja Mahavishnu~ »

frater wrote:O.K., let's face the plain truth: Grappelli did never exist.
Listen closely: it's actually Django using an Ebow... :D
:shock: