Chord position help

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

emicad

Chord position help

Post by emicad »

I had some problems playing the exercise n.2 of the "astouce de la guitare manouche vol.1". This exercise shows how to play with one finger (the second in this case) two strings. This technique can be used for example in 6/9 chords, like G6/9

- - - - 5 - -
- - - - 5 - -
- - - 4 - - -
- - - - 5 - -
- - - - 5 - -
- 3 - - - - -

and now the fingering:

- - - - 3(or 4)
- - - - 3 - -
- - - 1 - - -
- - - - 2 - -
- - - - 2 - -
- p - - - - -

I'm trying to use my second finger tu push the A and D strings as the book shows but it's a big problem for me, i can tell you this after a period of training, a couple of months approximately. What i can do to play in this way this chord? I want to know this to applicate this technique to other chords but i don't know the way to push both strings, i've tryied putting the finger in the center of the two strings trying to play both strings without pushing the finger like a little barre', or (the second way i tryied) pushing it like we do playing a m7 chord with the third finger (mini barre'), but in both cases the sound is unclean and my little hand suffering. I hope i was clair.
Thank you for the help
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

Emicad,

you could try not playing one of the strings.
emicad

Post by emicad »

nwilkins wrote:Emicad,

you could try not playing one of the strings.
i know, and it's what i'm doing now, but i want to learn the way to play all the strings, in the astouce book there is nothing about this...
anyway thank you
stublag

Post by stublag »

emicad wrote:

i know, and it's what i'm doing now, but i want to learn the way to play all the strings, in the astouce book there is nothing about this...
anyway thank you

Emicad
It isn't easy--took me a few months
I started by missing out the bottom thumb note which can distort the hand position ar first
Try placing the 2nd finger 'in between' the 2 strings--not so much a barre but the top and bottom of the fingertip cover the strings
Practice just covering the 2 strings at first--it should get easier
Then try the full chord

Tcha Limberger uses the following fingering without any need for the thumb

index finger on bottom string
3rd finger covering 5th and 4 th strings
2nd finger on 3rd string
little finger on top 2 strings

For those,like Tcha (and me!) who have small hands its a good alternative
Cheers
Stu
Last edited by stublag on Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emicad

Post by emicad »

stublag wrote:
emicad wrote:

anyway thank you

Emicad
It isn't easy--took me a few months
I started by missing out the bottom thumb note which can distort the hand position ar first
Try placing the 2nd finger 'in between' the 2 strings--not so much a barre but the top and bottom of the finger cover the strings with the tip
Practice just covering the 2 strings at first--it should get easier
Then try the full chord

Tcha Limberger uses the following fingering without any need for the thumb

index finger on bottom string
3rd finger covering 5th and 4 th strings
2nd finger on 3rd string
little finger on top 2 strings

For those,like Tcha (and me) who have small hands its a good alternative
Stu
Thank you man i'll try both ways
lukejazz

Post by lukejazz »

Emicad - here's what I did (you might have already tried it of course).

I find if I contact the 3rd string slightly to the side and not the middle of my 2nd finger and then sort of push or stretch it over to the 4th string I can get pretty good results.

I'm thinking that after while this strectches your finger tip (and callous) a little and it becomes wider and more flexible. At first it's a matter of getting that skin to stretch a bit. You'll more or less hook the tip on the 3rd string and then "stretch" it over to the 4th. That's what worked for me anyway.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I used to leave a string out on my old guitar because the strings were spaced so widely it was impossible to do it. With my new guitar I have no problems, so maybe the type of guitar you have makes it difficult?
emicad

Post by emicad »

nwilkins wrote:I used to leave a string out on my old guitar because the strings were spaced so widely it was impossible to do it. With my new guitar I have no problems, so maybe the type of guitar you have makes it difficult?
i have a patenotte 254
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

What worked for me was learning how to shift from a ninth chord shape to the 6/9 shape:

--5--- to --5--
--5--- --5--
--5--- --4--
--4--- --5--
--5--- --5--
-(5)-- -(3)-

Since you begin in almost the right position, your hand naturally finds the new fingering pretty quickly. Good luck!

Best,
Jack.
emicad

Post by emicad »

lukejazz wrote:Emicad - here's what I did (you might have already tried it of course).

I find if I contact the 3rd string slightly to the side and not the middle of my 2nd finger and then sort of push or stretch it over to the 4th string I can get pretty good results.

I'm thinking that after while this strectches your finger tip (and callous) a little and it becomes wider and more flexible. At first it's a matter of getting that skin to stretch a bit. You'll more or less hook the tip on the 3rd string and then "stretch" it over to the 4th. That's what worked for me anyway.
i've understood nothing Luke...please explain me simple, i don't understand what you say, i know that the "first" string is the high E string, why you speak about the second finger on the third string?!? :shock:
sorry for my english but the following part is arab for me :roll:
lukejazz

Post by lukejazz »

i've understood nothing Luke...please explain me simple, i don't understand what you say, i know that the "first" string is the high E string, why you speak about the second finger on the third string?
As usual I'm confused so I can't explain anything very well. I'll try this one more time my friend. If I screw up again we'll have to jab me in the eye with a stick.

We are trying to play the 4th and 5th strings in the same fret with the 2nd finger.

Place the tip of your second finger on the 4th string, but instead of right on the center of the tip - off center a little. Let the finger tip more or less "hook" on that string and then stretch it over to the 5th string. That's about the best I can explain with words.

This and the thumb over the top technique are WAY easier for me on my Gibson steel string than on my Dunn Belleville. A previous post mentioned the width of the finger board. I requested a narrower neck when he built it, and even sent a template from my Gibson but he still made it larger than I wanted. Does anyone know if some of the other makers or brands use a smaller width neck?
emicad

Post by emicad »

lukejazz wrote:
i've understood nothing Luke...please explain me simple, i don't understand what you say, i know that the "first" string is the high E string, why you speak about the second finger on the third string?
As usual I'm confused so I can't explain anything very well. I'll try this one more time my friend. If I screw up again we'll have to jab me in the eye with a stick.

We are trying to play the 4th and 5th strings in the same fret with the 2nd finger.

Place the tip of your second finger on the 4th string, but instead of right on the center of the tip - off center a little. Let the finger tip more or less "hook" on that string and then stretch it over to the 5th string. That's about the best I can explain with words.

This and the thumb over the top technique are WAY easier for me on my Gibson steel string than on my Dunn Belleville. A previous post mentioned the width of the finger board. I requested a narrower neck when he built it, and even sent a template from my Gibson but he still made it larger than I wanted. Does anyone know if some of the other makers or brands use a smaller width neck?
Thank you for the help but your eye it's already black and your face a bloody mask...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
maruejouls

Fast playing and neck

Post by maruejouls »

It is off the main topic, but in response to lukejazz ....

I'm sure luthiers can make a guitar to your specification - to have a smaller neck. For example the neck of my guitars is smaller than the original Selmer Maccaferri guitars:

*Width at 1st fret ------ 45 mm (My Guitar):::::::::: 45 mm (Original Selmer Maccaferri)
*Thickness at 1st fret ------ 20 mm (My Guitar):::::::::: 21.5 mm (Original Selmer Maccaferri)

*Width at 12th fret ------ 57 mm(My Guitar):::::::::: 57.5 mm (Original Selmer Maccaferri)
*Thickness at 12th fret ------ 23 mm(My Guitar):::::::::: 26.5 mm (Original Selmer Maccaferri)

The way in which the neck is shaped is also very important. I shave off quite a bit of wood from the neck to allow confortable and easy playing. When Selmer Maccaferri guitars were built 70 odd years ago, they didn't have tross rods so they had to make their neck wide and chunky. With the new advancement of guitar making, it's possible and perhaps ideal to make the neck slimmer, although some makers do produce exact Selmer Maccaferri copies. I prefer to have the neck slimmer to allow a more confortable and faster playing.

Happy practice.

Godefroy