Is it Edith Piaf or not?

I found it here:

http://relativeesoterica.blogspot.com/2 ... -here.html

D.
Attachments
Django Fortune Teller.JPG
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

that's edith piaf and it is not a new picture.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Here are two more taken at the same time. There are others. - I have never been able to find a good copy of him with the drum.
Attachments
1942 Congo Drum.jpg
DJANGO CD COVER 2.JPG
spatzo

Post by spatzo »

Hello Teddy!

This picture of Django with the drum set is great ! Never seen that! do you know where it was I guess France but ...

Tks!
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

spatzo wrote:...... do you know where it was I guess France but ...

Tks!
I am not 100% sure but most of the captions I have indicate France. Here is another one. Perhaps you could do some of your detective work to find out where it was taken with that distinctive background. It is a slightly different pose to the previous one of him with the guitar.

Other information I have says these were taken in 1942 but he has a "D" hole which does not fit with that period although the suit does. Perhaps it is someone elses guitar borrowed for the photos.
Attachments
1942 STATUES.JPG
spatzo

Post by spatzo »

An interesting fact is that on the bongo Django photo there is the name FUD written on the wall probably for Fud Candrix so it might have been shooted in April 1942 when Django went in Brussels to play at the Palais des Beaux Arts.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

spatzo wrote:An interesting fact is that on the bongo Django photo there is the name FUD written on the wall probably for Fud Candrix so it might have been shooted in April 1942 when Django went in Brussels to play at the Palais des Beaux Arts.
Yes that occurred to me also. I wonder if Piaf was in Belgium in 1942?

In one caption I have for the Piaf photo, it says 1944! :?
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

the d hole he is holding in that pic looks like a DiMauro, not a Selmer, so I wouldn't let that influence your dating.
Papi

Post by Papi »

These pictures might have been taken in the cellar of the "Hot club de France", 14 rue Chaptal (?). The pictures with Duke were shot there. On the attached picture you can see a bongo and behind the band, posters for la Nuit du jazz and other musical things. Not the Fud Candrix one but the bongo pic is a later shot. On the picture with the statue the place looks like a cellar. It is written "Al Casey" on the wall, it is a jazz place.
The picture with Edith Piaf seem to be a different place, it is full of posh furniture behind them.

A+ :)
Papi
Attachments
1941, 2 mars, programme pleyel.jpg
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

The reason I have put all those photographs together is that Django is dressed in exactly the same way in each. The jacket, pocket handkerchief and scarf are identical; even the way the latter is tied (see below). I do not think I have seen photos of him dressed in exactly the same way at different times.

I have no doubt the pictures with the guitar and playing the bongos come from the same session and the same place. The Piaf clearly was not taken in the identical spot but I would be surprised if it were not taken at on the same day in the near viscinity.

That is clearly a jazz club of some sort but I do not think Django was playing a gig there at the time the photo was taken. Every photo I have seen of him shows him wearing a tie whilst performing in public. There is that 1943 photo we have of him at Salle Pleyel with the HCQ wearing a scarf but I think that was a posed shot and not an actual in concert photo.

I have very few photos from inside the Hot Club of France but none of them look like any of these pics.
Attachments
COMPILATION.JPG
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

....the drum could well be the same but the photo quality is too poor to be sure:-
Attachments
Django at Hot Club.jpg
Papi

Post by Papi »

You are right Roger, the dressing details are obvious. The reason I was thinking to the hot club is the jazz references on the walls. On the Hot club pictures there is usualy a musical detail on the wall.
Maybe we should ring the HC de France to find out more, their phone number is TRI 44-82. :lol:
Attachments
Adhésion au Hot club de France.jpg
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Papi wrote:Maybe we should ring the HC de France to find out more, their phone number is TRI 44-82. :lol:
OK. I'll let you know what they say. Here it is from the outside but that's not a lot of use really. :roll: Delaunay is second from the right.
Attachments
Hot Club 14 Rue Chaptal.jpg
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Django looks to be dressed pretty much the same here from what you can see. The date is given variously as 1943 and 1944.
Attachments
DJANGO 1943 (red).JPG