Django Documentary

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Gadjo wrote:Lovely to see the wonderful Ted Cherrett in person. What a gent. Triffic.
Zoot and I used to go to Teds gaff, he really is a gent, funny guy too. His toilet is covered in 20 quid notes, ceiling to floor. My toilets covered in pubes, ceiling to floor.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Gadjo wrote:The series was great and obviously the work of a fan. Does anyone know him?
John Percivall made this documentary as part of a university project a couple of years ago. Pretty impressive I thought for a non-commercial effort and a well reasoned analysis of the war-time situation as it related to Django and gypsies. Interesting that in France, gypsies who lived in houses during WWII were "safe" from the Nazis but not so in other occupied countries.

It is significant, I think, that other gypsy entertainers survived and even prospered during the war. Sarane Ferret was at his most popular during that period. He together with Baro and Eugene Vees even appeared in feature films - Baro actually playing an itinerant gypsy. The "preferential treatment" was not only metered out to Django.

I think the authorities took a very pragmatic attitude to such matters at the time. Django & co were not a source of discontent but were actually keeping much of the French population happy so they thought leave well alone.

At least John did not dwell on the ludicrous suggestion that Django was a Nazi or a collaborator.
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

Funnily enough, I've just read a fictional work by a chap called Noel Barber titled "A Farewell to France" set more or less during the years covered in this documentary.

I mention it because DR gets an incidental mention on page 207 of the edition I have.

I was going to start a thread about fictional works that include a reference to DR but problems caused by the word "paucity" probably preclude most of you from ever having read a book :lol: :lol:

And no, Cabo, leafing through your semen shattered collection of Razzle doesn't count as reading a book.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Cattermole wrote:Funnily enough, I've just read a fictional work by a chap called Noel Barber titled "A Farewell to France" set more or less during the years covered in this documentary.
I've never read his books but I thought he was great in "Noel's House Party"and he is truly spellbinding in "Deal or No Deal".
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

Oh dear! you try and introduce a literary angle to the cultural badanage with a view to raising the overall tone, and what do you get?

And anyway, he peaked with "Swap Shop". It was all downhill after that.
jack

Post by jack »

Cattermole wrote:I was going to start a thread about fictional works that include a reference to DR but problems caused by the word "paucity" probably preclude most of you from ever having read a book :lol: :lol:
Anne Proulx mentions Django and the Ferret Brothers in her book Accordion Crimes. It's an interesting work of fiction that follows a number of accordions through different generations, kind of like the Red Violin, except a little less ridiculous.

In the book one of the characters is a man who picks up an accodion falls in love with Jazz, and becomes consumed by a jealous fixation on
Jo Privat! :P
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Listen guys. You are no the only ones to have ever read a book! I have just started the Booker Prize nominee "Nipples on Holiday". It is a pretty heavyweight tome that juxtapositions the suffering of the miners in the 1930s with the emotional upheaval of a 46 year old female teaching assistant who has nipple enhancement surgery whilst on holiday in the Maldives. No mention of Django so far but some very scathing comments about mandolins. Rather predictably, Jo Privat features strongly throughout.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Cattermole wrote:
And no, Cabo, leafing through your semen shattered collection of Razzle doesn't count as reading a book.

Fu*k you Mofo! :evil: I wrote AND read the Bible.
and as for your slanderous remark about Razzle, I'm more of a www.agentprovocateur.com type of guy. Has anyone read 'MonkeyPlanet' by
Pierre Boule?
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

In another attempt to bring some reason back to this thread - did anyone spot the deliberate mistake in Part 1?
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

Caballero wrote: you Mofo!
I should be so lucky.
Mmmmmm..........milfs. :D

No Teddy, I didn't spot the mistake, and since there's nobody here except us you might as well tell me the answer.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Cattermole wrote:No Teddy, I didn't spot the mistake, and since there's nobody here except us you might as well tell me the answer.
Thank God you've turned up again. I thought I was left alone here with those scary Gossington shirt lifters. :shock:

It's a bit late for me to reply tonight. Time for the Horlicks, flannelette pyjamas and off to bed. Image
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Not that he called Django French instead of Belgian? Or the Venuti/Lang reference? Or the Indian Cradle Song reference? That there's no strings on Ted Cherret's guitar? That Stephane never voiced his opinion without prodding?

Or is it that Ian is described as Author & Jazz Guitarist?

You're a picky man. I like that.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Okay rest stroke losers, here is the answer.

There are several photos and film clips that were not actually taken during the war but I accept that as being part of the poetic license of producing a documentary such as this in order to create atmosphere.

The really naughty bit was talking about Louis Vola and showing a photo of Roger Grasset. Paul Balmer did exactly the same thing in the Grappelli DVD which I presume is why John replicated it.

I have sent him various pics of Vola and he is going to try to substitute one of them for Grasset.

Here is Vola looking typically slightly silly:-

Barro

Post by Barro »

thanks for the links teddy