Django Reinhardt and the Ilustrated History of Gypsy Jazz

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

This new title from Michael Dregni is now in the hotclub shop for pre order.
I've just had a preview copy arrive and it's top quality printing and content.

Expected delivery is end of November

For those wishing to place pre orders you can at

>>> Hotclub Shop <<<
Attachments
django_dregni.jpg
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

I have not had a chance to look at this book in detail yet but if you are interested in Django Reinhardt and Gypsy Jazz, you must have it.

It is packed with photographs of all aspects of gypsy jazz from Django to Scot Wise. There are some often seen pictures but many of them I am sure will be new to you. There were even two of Django that were new to me! :oops: They are not just photos of people but extracts from concert programs, record and sheet music covers, posters and sundry memorabilia and, unusually, the quality of the reproduction is good.

There is also considerable text covering the history of the music and brief biographies on just about everybody involved, even if only on the fringe, and including some pretty obscure individuals. It is an easily accessible guide to gypsy jazz and I think good value for money. I am saying all these positive things despite not getting a mention in the book even though some of the photos and information originally came from me and the individuals I gave these to do get a credit. :(

Interestingly, although this book is very much about the history of gypsy jazz rather than concentrating on Django, there is a Django Reinhardt Chronology at the back by Anne Legrand who looks after the Charles Delaunay archives.

Highly recommended and it will hopefully give you a taster for my book which will be even bigger and better. :roll:
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Teddy Dupont wrote: I am saying all these positive things despite not getting a mention in the book even though some of the photos and information originally came from me and the individuals I gave these to do get a credit. :(

Tossers! lets get 'em. :evil:

Highly recommended and it will hopefully give you a taster for my knob which will be even bigger and better. :roll:
:shock:
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Caballero wrote:
Teddy Dupont wrote: I am saying all these positive things despite not getting a mention in the book even though some of the photos and information originally came from me and the individuals I gave these to do get a credit. :(

Tossers! lets get 'em. :evil:

Highly recommended and it will hopefully give you a taster for my knob which will be even bigger and better. :roll:
:shock:
Sorry Cabo. No chance. You'll have to stick with the transvestites and lady-boys. The "Tossers! let's get 'em" does actually echo my real feelings though but as a man of peace and extreme piety, I cannot allow myself to express such negativity. 8)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

You are right, o' ancient sage, I will attempt to be more forgiving, as your example, to those who would plunder the bounty of others and defile woodland creatures.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

You guys are a truly disgusting lot. I only wish I could have spent the holidays with you. As it happens, my father came through with this one after stumbling across it in a shop, and for what it is, it's great! Of course I'd love to have had many of the photos larger, but I'm sure Teddy's book, at 4'x6', will deal with that. Shipping's going to be a bitch, though.

At any rate, thanks to all who contributed so many rare photos and LP art...and if you don't have this, go get it for crying out loud.

best,
Jack.
FSUGypsyJazz

Post by FSUGypsyJazz »

I got this book for my birthday fram my friend who saw it in a museum shop in San Francisco. Needless to say it is awesome and She was at the top of the Christmas list!
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

Having given up on getting a freebe review copy I sent Zoot some money and got this book. All the good things said before are true and it should be purchased by any self-respecting reader of this forum.
I have to have a little gripe however. When I wrote the 'Django's legacy' chapter in the Masters of Jazz Guitar I was dragged over the coals by some (American) folks for missing out the German development and early (yet not well known) French gypsy players. It is only now I see the error of my ways. The Gypsy Jazz revival and development of Django's legacy was an American phenomenom for whom we should thank Paul Mehling and Tony Green amongst a few others. I was looking for the chapters on Bireli, Romane and Stochelo but found only a minor mention. Ian Cruikshank's stellar contribution over the last 30 years to the continuance and popularity of GJ must have been my imagination and even John Jorgenson's pioneering work in America during the 1980s and 90s with Raul Reynoso didn't warrant a mention. Topping the bill at Samois a couple of years ago must have been a dream also as JJ's current headling status is obviously forgotten. Gary Potter? never heard of him. Perhaps the biggest omission if writing about the history of GJ todate is our own Zoot. His work in setting up this swingpage got more people educated to this music than anything else I can think of.
Griping over I still love the book for what it got right - great pictures and excellent commentary on the early stuff.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

Thanks Andy for the praise but I'm sure I'm not worthy of the ink they would have used to spell my name when placed alongside the Paul Meeehling :shock:
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

I have seen the "authentic" history of Gypsy Jazz change quite significantly since I first became interested in Django in 1955 but one thing I am absolutely sure of is that in 10 years time, it will have been invented by America. :lol:

The reality is that for a book to be commercially successful, it must sell in America and therefore needs to be written with a US bias. My editor actually keeps telling me we need to write in "American". :shock:.......So color my aluminum pick red baby while I do the math.
Thrip

Post by Thrip »

Teddy Dupont wrote:So color my aluminum pick red baby while I do the math.
I liked that bit :D
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

Teddy Dupont wrote: aluminum
I think you mean 'aluminum'.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Cattermole wrote:
Teddy Dupont wrote: aluminum
I think you mean 'aluminum'.
Well you've got me Catty. :? What's the difference? I've missed the flavor of your mail.
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

[/quote]Well you've got me Catty. :? What's the difference? [/quote]

None.
My eyes are dim, I cannot see.
My brain is dimmer.
I am a lady's bit.

Catch ya later, Dude.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

A very complimentary review of the book in "Jazzwise".