Teddy Dupont

The Utimate Django's Book

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Has anyone tried this book?

ImageImage
TedGottsegen

Re: The Utimate Django's Book

Post by TedGottsegen »

Teddy Dupont wrote:Has anyone tried this book?

ImageImage
No, but it looks like a winner as long as the transcriptions are accurate. We're long overdue for a good Django fakebook, too.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

I have it on order and is expected next week.
Will let you know the quality of transcriptions when it arrives

KA KA KA CHING
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

zoot wrote:I have it on order and is expected next week.
Will let you know the quality of transcriptions when it arrives

KA KA KA CHING
How much Zoot? Remember I'm an old age pensioner. :(
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

Come on now Teddy - we all know your chronologicly gifted but we are also well aware you have spent many years acruing serious dividends on your shares in magazines such as "Playboy" and "Doggies do it Better".

£26.75
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Bloody Hell!!! :shock: My last top-of-the-range suit from Primark cost less than that but I must have a copy.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

I have just received this book and at first glance, it looks excellent. A truly massive publication containing 81 Django Reinhardt compositions in notation and tablature, and with chord diagrams. There are no note-for-note transcriptions of Django solos but the basic themes/melodies and accompaniments are illustrated in detail together with various Django intros, outros and passages of particular interest. For example, the way Django plays the theme to "Pêche à la Mouche" in chord form is shown and there are some very interesting shapes for "Troublant Boléro", "Anouman" and "Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure".

The chords shown are not necessarily the shapes that are now considered to be "gypsy chords" but are based on what the HCQ rhythm guitarists probably played at the time although some of them in the "special passages" are the specific shapes that Django actually played. After such a brief look, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of everything in the book but from what I've seen to date, it is most impressive.

If that was not enough, there is also a very informative summary of the key events in Django's life together with many photos and illustrations. Several of the photos are very rare and some I have not seen in any other publication.

All the text is in French with English translations and this approach has been so assiduously applied that the caption "Photo X" in French is translated to "Photo X" in English; the italics clearly resolving any potential confusion for us English speakers. :roll:

I have shelves full of Django Reinhardt music books but this is amongst the best and I would recommend it highly from my initial perusal. It is expensive but I am sure Django and gypsy jazz enthusiasts will feel it is money well spent.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

I was a bit worried when I noticed theat Blue Drag was missing, but I have reliably informed that he did not write tis tune, I'm assuming this is correct
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

I was a bit worried when I noticed theat Blue Drag was missing, but I have reliably informed that he did not write tis tune, I'm assuming this is correct
No he didn't write it.
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

I've got all the transcriptions for Blue Drag if you want them Zoot.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

Cheers mate kind offer
I'm sorted really, I just thought it was a Django tune - silly me.
Agent

Post by Agent »

Are my ears working properly or does the back cover list a tune called "Stop"? If so, if this a Django tune?
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Agent wrote:Are my ears working properly or does the back cover list a tune called "Stop"? If so, if this a Django tune?
There were two different Django compositions recorded under the same title "Folies À Amphion". The version recorded on 6th July, 1947 is called "Stop" in the book.

The same problem occured under the single title "Del Salle". I will have to check see whether they picked that up as well.

There are several illuminating little quotes from people such as Rostaing and Fouad at the beginning of some of the tunes explaining Django's approach to composing and introducing the tunes to his fellow musicians for the first time.
Agent

Post by Agent »

Thanks for that - didn't want to think that Fremeaux had shortchanged me.

And I meant "eyes" :oops:
tommaso

Post by tommaso »

I have just received this book this morning(after less than one week :D ), but only have had time to open it and have a rapid look, cause I was late to the office.
The price paid is 39?+ 14? for shipment.
The first impression is very positive: the appearance is great, the format too, I will check the contents this evening, but they look very very accurate and interesting. Also the images are beautiful and the color of the paper...
I will tell you the rest of the story.
Tommaso
Thanks Django!