Gypsy-Spotting

Whats happening on the Gypsy Jazz Scene today

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Gypsy-Spotting

Post by Caballero »

Does anyone have any idea who the Gypsy is in this photo? On the Sunday at Samois , he sent the lad who's sat between us, to fetch me and wouldn't take no for an answer. We had a good ol' jam, but it was all a bit strange.
Attachments
the gypsy that wanted me to jam.jpg
Last edited by Caballero on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cattermole

Re: Gypry-Spotting

Post by Cattermole »

Caballero wrote:it was all a bit strange.
Why? Did you wake up afterwards with your pants on back-to-front, or something?
I think we should be told.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Strange as in , "you will play NOW gadjo dog, I will not take no for an answer, I have sent this small annoying boy to hassle you repeatedly, he is in a pink shirt and will badger you to the grave, I am sitting down with my guitar, my sunglasses are off and my friends and family are all watching" sort of way.
Looks like a Demeter, anyone got any ideas?
maca

Post by maca »

SATAN :twisted:
Thrip

Post by Thrip »

He obviously wanted to play with the bloke who once played with a bloke who played with Stochelo Rosenberg.
wirralgitane

Post by wirralgitane »

Its Jimmy in disguise isn't it?
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

It is a Demeter - Titi? On a serious note however he looks really ill compared to when I saw him the previous year - he's lost a lot of weight. So it's either an illness or drugs??
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

No, It's not Titi. Hell, where's that brown-noser Teddy G. when you need him?
He knows 'em all.
Okay.......seeing as this is going nowhere fast, lets give him a name :D !
kimmo

Post by kimmo »

No, not Titi. It's Bouba Demeter.

Kimmo
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Thanks Kimmo! cool....The young lad literally dragged me over to Mr Bouba whereupon I found a nestling of his brethren and friends. There before me , two feet away from him stood an empty white chair. We thrashed around a bunch of tunes for 40 minutes, he tried a few ragging tricks on me, I tried not to let them phase me and did the best to embrace any musical inspiration that one might salvage from the situation. It was fun and I always learn from any gypsy session that arises, they're the magic moments eh? At the end of the last tune he got up , left, and took the entourage with him. Another Samois moment, been and gone.
In the UK, we have a television programme called Boobahs, is that the same pronounciation?
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Caballero wrote: In the UK, we have a television programme called Boobahs, is that the same pronounciation?
that word is actually Hebrew, i.e. from Israel It's pronounced Boo-bah. it means doll
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

ah, the old Gypsy session eh? - not happened to me yet... still gathering courage and licks!... although me, Gav and Luke did play a few tunes on the island - sat by the river and we attracted the attention of a pissed up Gypsy who was rather pleased with my playing and kept trying to kiss me on the head... I saw him later doing the same to Stevie Demeter's lot in the restaurant in the village square! We also had some Gypsy woman dancing by us although I was desperately trying to avoid eye contact as she was a bit of a hag.... awesome!
Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

hey cab,im intrigued as to what "ragging tricks" this chap tried to pull.Was it like Over the top...when that armwrestler tried to put Sly off by punching him in the face?Was he changing key every bar or summat?
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Munkhaus wrote:Was it like Over the top...when that armwrestler tried to put Sly off by punching him in the face?
:lol: That's really funny!

The musical ragging these dudes do, in my experience, is generally more technique based, and song variation based. On this occasion, I was lucky in the fact that I knew all the tunes he called, or rather, he cracked into without a word. I have a few 'grey' area tunes which I should know but am too goddamn lazy to learn, so that was safe ground. He'd stick in extra bars on turnarounds and such, so you kinda had to use the ears full-on or else look like a doofus. He threw in some stops when I was soloing and do some unison stuff on the fly also. Like I said, I endured all that shit the first 5/6 years of going to Samois and playing with these dudes. His biggy came on what was to be our last tune, Dark Eyes. He cracked into the intro at a ridiculous pace, if you miss the cue, you might as well get up and go. I've done a LOT of rhythm practice over the last six months, I have some very strict methods for getting my shit together. I caught his melodyand he then took about 25 choruses. So my stamina/endurance was given a good hiding. I'm more than happy to take all this on the nose, cuz playing with these guys is just the BEST, from any angle. So much to gain, even if you get torched. Again, I was lucky, the tempo he choose was still slightly slower the one I've been practising against. So that meant I could give him a little nudge and push it a little faster when I gauged his last couple of choruses. I then tried to put him in my shoes and take a few gratuitous rounds while he kept the tempo, which he did. It was still a lot of fun and this was on the Sunday, previous to this I'd been lucky to get in some serious playing time with Stochelo, Nomy, Don Vink, Andreas and lots of other badboys of both Gipsy and Gadjo origins. So I felt loose, like a floppy napkin. I'm not fond of that whole competitive thing, for me, It takes away from making music. Depends what the vibe is from the other guy/s. I'd like to hope that anyone that's played with me gig, or jam, would detect a chilled, friendly aura eminating from me. I just like playing guitar with people, it's such a great way to pass the time! Beer rules.
Rich

Post by Rich »

On the Sunday at Samois , he sent the lad who's sat between us, to fetch me and wouldn't take no for an answer. We had a good ol' jam, but it was all a bit strange.
Yes! and I was there to witness the whole event.. (I was the guy with the beard (not the guy from southport, the other one) who knew Paul Chester). This event I remember.. and I can confirm it was all a little odd. Some damn fine playing came out of it though.. :shock: