closest to Django I ever heard........

Whats happening on the Gypsy Jazz Scene today

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

banshee2

Post by banshee2 »

Hey all...........I got emailed this link, you have to hear this.....

http://www.flybywireless.com/paul_misc_music.htm

I'm told this link isnt public knowledge, just put here asa tester...... anyway, listen to Nuages.......... absolutely beautiful......first time it hasnt been over-complicated, or bastardised in a long time.....

Paul, I take my hat off to you my friend.......
Mario

Post by Mario »

There's definitely some very nice playing to be heard, but I wouldn't say that this it's the closest to Django I have ever heard.

Granted, he did an amazingly beautiful job at Nuages, but especially his rendition of Limehouse Blues couldn't really convince me.

Still, much better playing than I could hope to come up with in the foreseeable future (which is still a rather optimisic statement, I'm afraid).
banshee2

limehouse blues

Post by banshee2 »

Hey Mario, wow, I actually really like the Limehouse Blues version TBH......that's one of my favourite tracks of his!! LOL.......Still, I guess that's what makes music such an essential part of life; it hits people in such variable ways, and creates conversation and understanding.

Either way, I'm glad we agree on the Nuages version.....there's way too many "guitar wankers" out there at the moment, ruining what is undeniably one of the most wonderful tunes of all time........ I just love this playing though, passionate, and what it's all about :)
Mario

Re: limehouse blues

Post by Mario »

banshee2 wrote:Still, I guess that's what makes music such an essential part of life; it hits people in such variable ways, and creates conversation and understanding.
So very true. And I'm just glad that you put up the link. It's alway great to listen to what other people make of any give tune.

Happy holidays!
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

why do we keep getting these posts titled "the best version since Django" etc... he must be paying you a lot!

The playing is ok but my humble opinion is that the timing is a bit "free form" and he always sounds like he's trying to cram in way too much
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

banshee2 wrote:"closest to Django I ever heard..."
You should buy some new CDs, I think. Mike's being too kind...
sol_calador

Love it!!!

Post by sol_calador »

I don't think he's being too kind actually.......it's innovative stuff; it's nice to see someone actually attempting to breathe life into the genre. I think the playing's fantastic too! Maybe not the closest to Django in terms of style, but fantastic guitar playing, and really very thoughtful compositions.

This forum's great - nice to develop discussions about these various artists, and see how opinions differ :)

Modjango are fantastic IMO, and amazing live.......
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

"Rated as one of the top-ten Gypsy Jazz acts in the world" .......

according to his website :shock:
sol_calador

Post by sol_calador »

It's all very subjective really isn't it? I've seen dozens of people walk out of the stage area at Samois when Bireli was performing, because they didn't like the music he was playing at the time. Either does it for you, or it doesn't.......lets face it, there wouldn't be a forum like this if everyone liked the same artists, tunes, and styles.......thats what makes it enjoyable at all!!! I appreciate most music to be honest; sounds kinda an obvious thing to say, but, I like music so long as it's good :D
jack

Post by jack »

it's innovative stuff; it's nice to see someone actually attempting to breathe life into the genre.
Phrases like this really bum me out. It makes it sound like this is the only guy doing something different. I feel like I hear this a lot from fans on the forums, and it's such an injustice to all the musicians who are doing new and interesting things with the music.
What about Kamlo Barre, Boulou and Elios, Jaunito Watremez, Patrick Saussois, Mandino Reinhardt, Marcel Loeffler, Robin Nolan, Bireli has breathed all sorts of life into the style. There are more too like, Sami Daussat, Christophe Lartilleux, Reinier Voet and all of pigalle 44, Rodolphe Raffalli... Romane's done some really interesting things, his collaboration with Babik comes to mind. Ritary's incorporation of RnB repetoire is really no less radical than the playing above. All these players have done progressive things with the instrumentation, vocabulary, reptoire, and way ensemble playing is approached, within the style. There are so many great exciting players out there, I kind of wish that people would spend more time talking about them, and less time complaining about players who "all sound the same".

For, what it's worth I really enjoyed the music in the link, it's nice playing. But I think labelling an original tune or two, and a looser sense of time as terribly innovative, or marking someone as the best since Django, is not really fair to players like Paul. They should be applauded for making good music, but not burdened with compliments that are, in all honesty, very hard to live up to.

I also want to point out that the players I listed who are doing new, or interesting things, are only those who immediately came to mind, and I know there are a bunch more I'm not thinking of, or haven't gotten the chance to hear. I encourage anyone to add a name, or write a little something about the ways these, and other great players are trying to breathe new life into the style.
sol_calador

Post by sol_calador »

Very good points Jack; it is all too easy to attach labels to artists, styles and individual compositions. After reading through this entire post again, it has attracted a wealth of varying opinions, and fairly "definitive" comments, and I agree, it may be a little unfair to judge various artists in any extreme fashion, when really, every contribution is just another opinion, no more valid than the next. But then, forums like this help promote more music, and allow people access to a wealth of new material, and others with a shared interest. Overall, I'd like to think that the pros definately outweigh the cons :D
BirdDog

Post by BirdDog »

music is art. art is not a contest. art expresses personality. some of my favorite artists can barely sell a piece. remember the guy who bought a urinal and signed it and put it on display. Lets focus on sounding more like us, like our souls. everything clicks when we do this. thats what Django did, and thats why we love him.
--The BirdDog
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Yes, music is art, etc. What gets me is that out of a combined 29 posts, all the following (i.e., about 1 in 3) are about Modjango...and they just happen to be from banshee2 and sol_calador?

Modjango - Eskimo, Hoylake every Sunday
NEW!!! Paul Gregory, Modjango - AWESOME Bossa Dorado!!!!!!
you have to listen to this - Paul Gregory, Modjango
modjango - every sunday confirmed, Wirral
Modjango - 18th April, The Mill Hotel Canal Cruise, Chester
Modjango - Monday 17th April, Nantwich Jazz Festival
Modjango - Sunday 16th in Hoylake, Wirral
Oh, by the way...

That last one is probably my favorite...so sly!

Cynically,
Jack.
Thrip

Post by Thrip »

Why not just be honest and say he's a mate of yours? You'd get more respect that way instead of patronising us with this "better than Django" nonsense. Do you take us for fools? You're doing him no favours I think.
BachelorNo2

Post by BachelorNo2 »

hehe, this topic is funny. I actually enjoyed the playing by Modjango but I thought it was a little too notey, and doesn't actually have that elegance that Fapy or Moreno has. In any case I think he's certainly not the closest to Django that I've heard. I mean, 'being the closest to Django' is a pretty big label! Sol_Calador and Banshee, try listening to other artists like the ones Jack mentioned. Or even the lesser known ones, at your local pub or bar, you might find that there are quite a lot of people who are close to Django!