Bireli & Jimmy Bruno

Whats happening on the Gypsy Jazz Scene today

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

TedGottsegen

Bireli & Jimmy Bruno

Post by TedGottsegen »

Hey Guys,

I've seen some photos floating around of Bireli jamming with Jimmy Bruno. Was anyone from this site there to witness the event?

Best,

Ted
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

if you're thinking of the same photos I am then they were taken during one of the Wales jazz guitar festivals.
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

I know where and when they were taken, I was wondering if anyone was there during the jam... I'd be interested in know Bruno's reaction to Bireli and vice cera.
Barengero

Post by Barengero »

TedGottsegen wrote:I'd be interested in know Bruno's reaction to Bireli and vice cera.
Jimmy Bruno himself gives the answer: "Bireli Le Grin":

http://www.jimmybruno.com/photo.htm

(scroll a little bit - it´s the 10th pic)

Best,
Barengero
Teddy Dupont

Re: Bireli & Jimmy Bruno

Post by Teddy Dupont »

TedGottsegen wrote:I've seen some photos floating around of Bireli jamming with Jimmy Bruno. Was anyone from this site there to witness the event?
I saw them on stage with Gary Potter (Cabo on rhythm with Kelbie) and to be honest, I thought it was a bit of a bore. Typical of those endless "guitar summits" with each guitarist trying to outdo the others and, in consequence, producing very little of any real substance.

Bireli was excellent in the rest of the set though.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Aye Teddle, it was all a bit strange when Gazza and Jimmy came on board. During the second half, the whole band was locked on and Bireli started to chow down hard. We did an extremely fast 'them there mincers'
and then they (organisers) got G & J up and we knocked 'em dead with a medium Sweet Georgia B, followed by a superb medium something else, capping off with an unbelievable medium 'changes' in Bb !!!!
I've listened to the recording many times, and although G & J are mighty fine players the musical effect at this point was rather like shooting one's 'filthy yoghurt' before the 'sell-by date'. If you get my drift.
Before was wild though.
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

Caballero wrote: ....the musical effect at this point was rather like shooting one's 'filthy yoghurt' before the 'sell-by date'. If you get my drift.
Before was wild though.
God I wish I thought up a line like that. You're a artist, Cabbo, capable of painting only the most vivid of pictures. :lol: :lol:
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

:oops: