Is it a lack of interest?

Whats happening on the Gypsy Jazz Scene today

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

TedGottsegen

Is it a lack of interest?

Post by TedGottsegen »

Hi All,

I'm curious to know about fans of the German scene out there. Between Stochelo ruling Holland and incredible pool of talent coming out of France, the German scene (with the exception of Alsace) seems to fall by the weyside. I'm talking about Häns'che Weiss, Schnuckenack, Martin Weiss, Kussi, etc. Some people just don't like it which is fine by me, I just never read or hear about anyone (except nwilkins) talking about it.... :cry:

Best,

Ted
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

ALL HAIL SCHNUCKENACK AND HANS'CHE!
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

nwilkins wrote:ALL HAIL SCHNUCKENACK AND HANS'CHE!
:shock: <GASP> All down on your knees in praise of The Great Ones!
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

It looks like it is a lack of interest Ted based on the dearth of replies. I think the problem may be that there are so many talented performers in this style, it is impossible to properly listen to them all without the music becoming a little boring. I love this style but it is actually possible to have too much of a good thing.
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

Teddy D. I think you do have a point and also as JustJack and I elluded to in a previous post, the stuff ain't pretty. But you see, I am the opposite.

When I get bored, I simply move on to the next guy. When I've listened to enough Alma Sinti, I move on to Bousquet, when that gets tired I move on to Joseph Reinhardt or Tchan-Tchou, Les Manouches, Paul Pata, Kamlo, Tchavolo, Dubanton/Laudat, Note Manouche, Dino, Am Ketenes - it never ends. I will admit to having to augment my Manouche listening sessions with bits of hard rock, funk and hip hop as well but that's another story.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

TedGottsegen wrote:I will admit to having to augment my Manouche listening sessions with bits of hard rock, funk and hip hop as well but that's another story.
don't forget POLKA!
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

nwilkins wrote:don't forget POLKA!
Maybe you dig polka, Nick, but not this cowboy :wink: :twisted:
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

As much as it pains me, I have to say that I caught a polka band not long ago at a park near my apartment...not a guy under 70, and swinging like mad. You've got to respect that, even if the oom-pah isn't your thing.
Jan Primus

polka me babay!

Post by Jan Primus »

I must admit a strange fascination with polka music in small doses. I was just at the PSGW Winter Retreat guitar camp and it was awesome. John KNowles was there just hanging out and a real nice guy too. Anyway, there was this Seattleite of Norwegian descent and he plays a totally hot button accordian. He does everything from Tex MEx to all sorts of different alpine polkas. There really is a difference and this guy is hot. If you want a big surprise, put a guitar in his hand and find that he is also an expert Hawaian slack key guitarist with a soulfull feel about him. He can play a lot of different styles. Manouche is not among them, but he is a great musician nonetheless. Personally, my tolerance level for polkas in general is a bit higher than my Jim Carrey level. More than one of his movies every two years or so, is a bit much for me. Pardon my wanderings, but standing right next to someone who can really belt it out on a button accordian is an amazing thing. Try it sometime.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

What's the PSGW? And a "Seatlleite"...maybe a friend of Ted's?
Jan Primus

PSGW and Seattleites

Post by Jan Primus »

Ted would be a Seattle-ite<a person that resides in Seattle>, whether or not he knows Kory would be another question. PSGW is the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop. http://www.langston.com/PSGW/ It is a wonderful wonderful thing. During the summer sessions they offer classes in all styles of guitar playing and it is just a gas. I highly recommend it.
TedGottsegen

Re: PSGW and Seattleites

Post by TedGottsegen »

Jan Primus wrote:Ted would be a Seattle-ite<a person that resides in Seattle>, whether or not he knows Kory would be another question. PSGW is the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop. http://www.langston.com/PSGW/ It is a wonderful wonderful thing. During the summer sessions they offer classes in all styles of guitar playing and it is just a gas. I highly recommend it.
Hi All,

I am a Seattlite (even though I live in the North Bend, in the foothills of the Cascades). I know of the PSGW, but have never been. My bass player used to go often, but not so much anymore. Friends like Joe Vinikow go yearly.

If I have a choice of taking one music related vacation a year, it'll always be to Europe to play this music. Samois is outstanding but I think that I would like to take an off-season trip and split the time between Paris and Strasboug. If you really love this music and really want to learn how to play it correctly, drop the cash and get on a plane. You have to see it played live by the masters in order to "get it".

Best,

Ted
Jan Primus

PSGW vs Samois?

Post by Jan Primus »

Oh I am sure I Would rather go to Samois as well, but I have children now and bopping over to Europe for a week without the kids would be a bit tough. This is my version of a busmans holiday. I agree, it is not for everyone, but at the the winter retreat, I can just about guarantee any of you would have a good time playing hot jazz with some of the real serious players...
bwilkins

Re: polka me babay!

Post by bwilkins »

" More than one of his movies every two years or so, is a bit much for me. "
One Jim Carrey per lifetime is one TOO many.

" Pardon my wanderings, but standing right next to someone who can really belt it out on a button accordian is an amazing thing. "

Anyone catch "Quartango" on CBC-TV? I love that accordion, technically a bandoneon. And I sure love the little button accordions in a rippin' Irish reel.

BW
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Oddly enough, I just caught the ass end of a show tonight on PBS all about button accordionists playing a sort of Mexican/Italian hybrid music, and immediately thought of Django. Just something about the fire behind it, I mean; they're not playing Minor Swing. But they could.