Dunn guitars

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Jan Primus

Dunn got it!

Post by Jan Primus »

I am a happy camper. I just won a Mystery Pacific on ebay at a very good price.
djangology

Post by djangology »

i think shelly has made a model called a Harlequin that is similar to a Dunn guitar. i don't know how many she made but there is one for sale on one of the many sites web sites that i peruse from time to time, but i don't remember off hand what site it was. if you really want to see it, mabye i can look around for it...

EDIT: here it is: http://www.archtop.com/ac_park.html
Jan Primus

More guitars than you can shake a stick at.

Post by Jan Primus »

I am happy with my Dunn thanks. Now I just have to get an elephant testicle plectrum I have always dreamed of to get that true manouche sound.
You oo oo, I wanna be like you oo oo.
I wanna walk like you, talk like you, play like you
Oo-oo-oo
Oo be dooby doo wah...
joef

Dunn Guitars

Post by joef »

As an alternative to an elephant's testicle I'd recommend the Wegen Trimus. My Mystery Pacific loves it - and for you it rhymes with Primus. Be careful not to lose it in the internal resonator though or you'll have to get into keyhole surgery.

Joe
Phydeaux3

Post by Phydeaux3 »

Call me fussy but the headstock looks sh**e. Reminds me of an old plastic Beatles guitar I had many moons ago.
Ahhhh.. it's just clicked isn't the Dunn headstock a copy of the plastic Maccaferri headstocks?
Anyone :?:
Alors! Un, deux...
Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Fussy!

Actually, it isnt bad looking at all. It is simple though...
Phydeaux3

Post by Phydeaux3 »

So it is me.
Too use to the overall beautiful design of the Selmers
Alors! Un, deux...
djangology

Post by djangology »

Yeah, i don't understand why anyone would use anything other than the standard classical style headstock that the Selmers had. I am curious why Michael Dunn uses this particular style of headstock. Could it be just for looks? Anyone know why? Does it have any effect on the tone of the guitar?
Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Michael has a reputation for doing things the way he wants. He is not a slavish imitator of the Mac/Selmer style. He actually has a bit of an attitude about it. I like that.
djangology

Post by djangology »

well, one of these days, hopefully i can try one out for a test drive...
joef

Dunn Guitars

Post by joef »

Some Selmers round about numbers 500 to 550 had flat headstocks ( Maple ). I wouldn't say no to one of those...
The flat headstock makes changing strings a lot easier on the Dunn and the machine heads are great.
Anyway maybe Michael Dunn would build you one with a slotted headstock - I think there are some on his website.
Joe
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

Dunn told me years ago that he the shape of his headstock is just his own take, much like the rest of the guitar. He said that he prefers solid headstocks because they are quicker when it comes time for restringing. Having just broke a string in the middle of a set, I can sympathize with that idea.....
chap

Post by chap »

Zoot wrote:The only Dunn that I have seen was a D hole with resonator owned by Alfonso Pontichelli (spelling??). It was a loud guitar very well made and used to be thrashed by it's owner at least 8 hours a day at the Samois festival.
I serously think that Michel should stick to making guitars and and not making videos.
Did anyone else see that video he made on how to play rhythm. :shock:

Wow I almost bought this guitar from Ponticelli. As I recall he had a really interesting way to mount a Bartolini pickup on it. Two metal pieces were attached to the side of the fretboard that extended over the soundhole. The pickup then bridged the gap between thost two metal things. Utilitarian, and certainly functional, but I hate to mar the beauty of that gorgeous reflector.
guitarbuilder

Dunn guitars......

Post by guitarbuilder »

Hello everyone,
I have just logged on to this site on a whim and imagine my surprise at seeing several pages of postings about my guitars. I would like to clear up a few points...First, my heads are flat because when I started making this type of guitar back in the 60's, it was practically impossible to obtain high quality machine heads for slots...therefore I went "flat' and used Grovers. I do make slots but generally on order only. I now use Sperzel heads for flat and Schaller or Waverly for slots.
I am trying to build 21st century Gypsy guitars and have made only very few copies of the Selmers & Maccaferris. My external dimensions are very similar but the insides are different from the originals. My Mystery Pacific model with the internal soundbox and reflector is based on, but quite different from the originals, and my Ultrafox with the 670mm scale and int. soundbox and reflector is a radical departure from any other interior box as far as I know.
I do not use any plywood ( read politely...laminate)
My philosophy is to get up in the morning and vow to make a better guitar.
And yes...I have made an instructional video called ' Django's Rhythm'. In it, I have deciphered and explained how Django himsefl played rhythm when he was primarly backing a soloist like Stephane. I have had lots of very good feedback from it...the main complaint is that is does not seem to cover the contemporary style of planing rhythm....well, I did base it on the 1936-39 recordings...nothing like starting at the beginning of things.....
Theres lots of interesting guitars on my site and within a few weeks there will be a real unusual guitar like nothing anyone has seen before...trust me. I'm at www.michaeldunnguitars.com I am always available to answer questions about my work.

Kind regards, Michael Dunn
djangology

Post by djangology »

welcome to the Hotclub site Michael! its nice to see a luthier who steps up and tells it like it is! i suspect that all the other conservative luthiers are probably sitting back and learning from your experiences, being afraid to experiment themselves.

out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the use of "Pine" wood in a guitar?