Dunn guitars

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Le Comp

Dunn guitars

Post by Le Comp »

Hello, all!

I would like to know if any of you own, or have had any experience playing Michael Dunn's guitars. I own three: A Belleville, a Rhythm Futur, and my most recent, a cedar topped 1995 Stardust prototype with slotted peghead. My first with a cedar top, and I have to say.... it sounds spectacular.
How about you, Maurice. Don't you own a Dunn? TIA for your responses.

Larry
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

The only Dunn that I have seen was a D hole with resonator owned by Alfonso Pontichelli (spelling??). It was a loud guitar very well made and used to be thrashed by it's owner at least 8 hours a day at the Samois festival.
I serously think that Michel should stick to making guitars and and not making videos.
Did anyone else see that video he made on how to play rhythm. :shock:
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Zoot wrote:Did anyone else see that video he made on how to play rhythm. :shock:
Yes and it was virtually impossible to distinguish Micky's right hand technique from that of Django on the "J'Attendrai" clip.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

I do beleive your being flipant.

Well done.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

A Floridia jazzer with a few Dunns asked about mine, just before the recent megawhoopsie:

It's a Fleche D'Or. Cypress. Not at all gypsoid when diddled lightly (might be a good fingerpicker if I was into that). But when thwacked soundly it yowls delightedly ...and appropriately for this music. Classical guitar-shaped wide, flat fingerboard. That took some time getting used to, but I like it now. By contrast, my Dupont's gypsy-only, inherently very sensual and sonorous, almost gutteral. Marlene Deitrich. But the Dunn offers a lot more variety and it's quite a lot more musical up the neck.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

hmmm. I guess I'm not registered anymore. Came in the back door, nobody asked for my ID.

Le Comp, that "Florida Jazzer" was you! You ought to post the link to your site again...I went there, listened to your two cuts. C'est bon!

Then I came back here and posted something about Joe Pass being Django's only equal. Then the site went to hell. Gypsy lightning, most likely.

Your Florida luthier shows some gorgeous archtops. We're probably not supposed to talk about that here. :roll:
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

Sorry left the door unlocked. All future posts by registered members only.
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

Michael makes some very unique guitars which definatley follow his own design and example. Maccaferri is a starting point, the rest is all Dunn. I believe that he makes everything by hand and uses no molds or anything like that making each guitar unique.

I have a good friend who swears by his guitar, even though some gypsy friends of his weren't so keen on it. It's not the loudest guitar on the planet and doesn't have much sustain but it's a very nice instrument. His guitar doesn't have the internal soundbox, though.
lecomp

Post by lecomp »

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Apparently I got bumped off, and had to re-register. Drat!
I agree with you Maurice, especially my latest Dunn is extemely musical, and barks like a bitch in heat when you really dig in! Someone must have really played this guitar in before me. It is 8 yrs. old, and has a dark cedar top. My rhythm guitarist Nick, will be receiving his new Eimers sometime in March. I'm more excited than he is!
Thanks for the kind words about my website and music that I posted. I'm going to post some examples of my "gypsy-jazz" quartet very soon. We just finished a studio CD with violin, contrabass, and two guitars a few weeks ago. It sounds pretty good, though I don't think Fapy or Stochelo or Angelo will be too impressed. It's good, honest, Manouche though, and it really swings. The spirit is there, it has some cojones.
I am so grateful to have discovered Django and this music, even this late in life. (I just turned 50) I'm having more fun playing this music than I've had playing "modern jazz" or bebop, in a long time. I've made a lot of progress in just a year. This s**t is HARD!!!
Thanks for listening to my rambling post, and believe me, I'll be back with plenty of questions.

Larry (wannabe) Camp
www.larrycamp.com
"Thy will be Dunn."
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

I think we're all grateful, regardless of age (I turn thirty in about a month, but am trying to play my way through it). It really is fun to play; I always catch myself grinning like an idiot halfway through a tune, and shaking my head. But all this reminds me of a thread from Ye Olde Forum, along the lines of How Did You Get Into Gypsy Jazz? Should we begin again?
Rene

Post by Rene »

Hey Le Comp,
You got three Dunn guitars ? Send me one ! I ain't got any ! Share and enjoy, right ?

Rene
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

That still leaves one for me :t:
SWINGCAT 1

Re: Dunn guitars

Post by SWINGCAT 1 »

I own a Dunn Bellville long scale oval hole with spruce top, rosewood sides & back, solid peghead.
I love it. It has a very loud, bright voice, sustains well, plays like a dream, and generally kicks butt on all the other Selmer style guitars that I have played, including a couple of Duponts and several Del'arte's.
I have played a few other Dunns, and they are fairly consistent, with the exception of a cedar top Bellville, which was ungodly loud but also very harsh sounding. (I understand that Michael has replaced the top on that guitar, and it is now more like his others)
Michael Dunn does not pretend to COPY Selmers, but makes improved versions, with tremendous success.
The late Chet Atkins bought a Bellville the first time he played it!
KEVIN
Jan Primus

Dunn Guitars

Post by Jan Primus »

I just spoke with Michael last week. What a nice guy! I truly appreciate his adventurous spirit. He is willing to use some really uncommon woods in his instruments and they are often spectacular looking. He also seems to have a lot of fun doing it. I am still torn between him and Shelley Park for building my guitar. <sigh> What a problem eh?
Last edited by Jan Primus on Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWINGCAT 1

Re: Dunn Guitars

Post by SWINGCAT 1 »

Jan,
You won't go wrong with Michael Dunn
I understand Shelly Park Also makes fine guitars, and I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that she studied luthiery under Michael
Kevin