Dunn guitars

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

SWINGCAT 1

MICHAEL DUNN GUITARS

Post by SWINGCAT 1 »

VERY NICE TO SEE YOU ON THE FORUM, MICHAEL
I SPOKE WITH YOU 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO ABOUT HAVING YOU BUILD ME A BELLVILLE, AND THEN FOUND A REALLY GREAT ONE THAT ERIC SCHOENBERG HAD, AND BOUGHT IT.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER WITH ANY INSTRUMENT. ( I HAVE 5 REALLY GOOD ACOUSTICS, 4 GREAT ARCHTOPS, AND SEVERAL ELECTRICS(WHICH I BUILT)
I NOW USE THE BELLVILLE ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY FOR ALL ACOUSTIC GIGS WITH "SWINGCATS", WHERE WE PLAY EVERYTHING FROM GYPSY AND WESTERN SWING TO BLUES AND EARLY ROCK N ROLL.
YOU ONCE TOLD ME TO LET A CLASSICAL PLAYER PLAY IT, AND I DID JUST THAT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. IT SOUNDED REALLY GREAT.
THE PERFECT JYPSY JAZZ GUITAR IS ALSO THE PERFECT INSTRUMENT FOR MANY OTHER THINGS!!!
I HAVE PLAYED MANY OTHER MAC STYLE GUITARS SINCE I GOT THIS ONE AND ONLY A VERY FEW EVEN COME CLOSE (SHELLY PARK HAD ONE @ THE HEALDSBURG GUITAR FESTIVAL THIS YEAR THAT WAS ALMOST AS GOOD, BUT THEN SHE LEARNED IT FROM YOU, DIDN'T SHE?
THANKS MICHAEL!!!!,
KEVIN MCCONNELL
chap

Post by chap »

New Dunn Models on his page under "Gallery 2"--among them a Tenor Harpguitar. Something about Harpguitars just fascinates me. I recently picked up a copy of The Last Waltz on DVD. Robertson plays a Gibson style U in the last scene and it sounds great. I always imagined that they would not.

I kind of miss those older gibson models like the Style O Artist. I really love the curves of those guitars. I once read an interview with Gruhn though who said that a Style O Artist was his first big dollar investment and that although it was just gorgeous that it was never a great sounding model. Although I have heard this comment about a number of guitars that I thought sounded great. I remember walking into a shop once and these guys were talking (snickering actually) about this guitar that had just come in. Old 40's Martin f style guitar. They were comparing it to and playing it like Martin Dreadnaughts. No wonder they were disappointed. If you played it like a manouche guitar, it sounded like a cool old DiMauro. I wonder what those old Style O Artists would sound like in the hands of a Tchavolo. I still say they are among the most beautiful guitars ever made.

That Knutsen/Dyer stuff is amazing too. I just wouldn't know where to begin in playing something like that though.
westsidemaurice

Post by westsidemaurice »

I just had the top of my Dunn Fleche d'Or refinished (it had suffered at Mandolin Bros)...and the fretboard, bridge, and nut arched (I think Dunn prefers flat, classic-style)...and wide jazz frets (like my Dupont) were installed...and the neck was reshaped (like my Dupont)..$800. Well worth it.

The work was better than flawless. I've never seen such a beautiful finish on a guitar (I have a Dupont and a Dell Arte as well). Exquisite frets.

The work was done by Rick Pimentel, member of a luthiery family here in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They make classic, flamenco, unconventional flattops, and a wonderful "jazz fusion" flattop. They do miracles with small walnut bodies. As designers they're a little crazy (fancy turquoise inlays etc). www.pimentelguitars.com

This cypress-backed Dunn has otherworldly sustain and overdrive, sings like a boid, is unlike Django tonewise (though maybe it sounds like an ancient Selmer in the hands of Koen Decauter), but is superb for the meditative end of the spectrum.
chap

Post by chap »

Jan Primus

Purple Haze

Post by Jan Primus »

I got to play Michaels Purple Haze guitar at DFNW and it was a real corker. Big sound and just the feel of it was cool. It was fun to see and play in person.

Cp
guitarbuilder

Post by guitarbuilder »

Hello Everyone,

This is an invitation to view my completely new website at www.michaeldunnguitars.com. It has been created by Dave Bricker .

If anyone finds something that doesn't work, please let me know and Dave can fix it. God knows I certainly can't.

Keep on swingin'

Michael Dunn