Guitar Comparisons - opinions sought

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Riversax

Guitar Comparisons - opinions sought

Post by Riversax »

Hi All,
Is there any resource on this site ? or others that anyone knows of ? which compares luthier made, or indeed any/all makes of Selmer/Maccaferri style guitars?

For example the qualities of Hodson, Aylward, etc and comparison of their sounds, build methods & quality vs. prices etc. Obviously some of this would be quite subjective but interesting and could help people who are thinking of buying their first or upgrading their SelMac style guitar

Does anyone who has experience of playing several makers? instruments feel like penning a piece with the comparative merits of different makers instruments? Unfortunately I am singularly unqualified by dint of only ever having played the one I have, and being not much good anyway!

Also does anyone know of a good place to go to actually get to try out a few different makers guitars ? do they go to any of the UK festivals for example?

Thanks for any help or comments

Regards

Roger
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

The most obvious answer is to go to a major festival, Samois or in the UK and look and listen to what people are playing - both amateurs jamming around the site and the pros on stage. From my experience it is more about the set-up than the maker. Assuming you have a good quality guitar be it from a factory (Gitane) or luthier, Hodson, etc and it is set up correctly then the rest is down to you I'm afraid. A five grand Dupont with a bad set up is worthless in my view.
You can debate makers, timbers, hardware all day long but at the end of the day Bireli on an entry level Gitane is better than me on a 1936 Selmer.
Riversax

Post by Riversax »

Thanks for the reply Gadjo,
I agree - of course most of it is down to the person - I just wondered if there were certain characteristics in certain guitar makes.
Coming from playing sax for last 18 or so years where there are subtle but distinct differences in sounds of instruments from different makers even once the variables of mouthpeice and player are factored - I just wondered if the same was true of guitars.
Perhaps more of a conversation point :) ... as I too subscribe to the it's how you play not the instrument you play that largely defines what you are - musically speaking.
Do makers go to the larger festivals to sell their instruments - i.e. so one can actually play them for oneself?
Regards
Roger
Cattermole

Post by Cattermole »

What Gadjo said.
There's also a notable difference in timbre between a guitar with solid back and sides and a laminated one.