Fishman Rare Earth Pickup?

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

bk

Fishman Rare Earth Pickup?

Post by bk »

Hi,

I have an Ivanovski D hole, Non-cutatway. THe finger board does not extend down into the sound hole like most D holes. Would it be possible to fit a rare earth there considering the extra space and the fact that the fretboard is not in the way? BTW how are the rare earth's on feedback. I play very very loud gigs and need a super feedback resitant pickup like the fishman matrix. Anyone have any idea how the rare earth sound compares to the matrix? I have a matrix in my martin 00-18 and it sounds just brilliant.

THanks
Bill Knox
lnb

Post by lnb »

The rare earth is the best pickup on planet earth, if you can get it to fit on your d hole then you would.nt get anything better in my opinion, how you would do it though is another thing as the hole is to big, when you do manage it you can play as loud as you like with no feedback.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
bk

Post by bk »

My measurements indicate there's barely enough room the slap the rare earth in there and more than enough if it's turned the other way. Are the rare earth's uniform in their setup or are they designed according to bass and treble?
bk

Post by bk »

again, my fretboard stops at the soundhole.
lnb

Post by lnb »

Designed fro bass and treble having said that though i have one on a greek bouzouki and it works better the wrong way round.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

Gordon Giltrap brought his Hodson D-hole to Samois and it had what looked like a Rare Earth pickup fitted. Look at this picture
http://www.giltrap.co.uk/tools.htm
I am certain either GG or David Hodson could eleborate.
bk

Post by bk »

I took it over to the shop today to see if it would fit my Ivanovski non-cutaway and voila! THere's just enough space for it to grip on to and as to the sound? Holy &*%ing S$%#!!! My tech is going to file some of the plastic down and glue some small flaps onto to the pickup to ensure stability and easy removal.

Amazing product! (The Rare Earth Humbucker, didn't have the single coil in stock to try but I don't care.) The guys at the shop were impressed with the tone too.

Anyone suffering from D hole pick up issues would be well advised to chop that extra fingerboard out of the sound hole to make room for this pick up. The loss of those few high frets is nothing compared to what your ears will hear.

The best pickup I've ever heard and I now think I have the best sounding acoustic/electric guitar on the planet. It is absolutely perfect for a D hole and 10x better than the bigtone IMO and better than the matrix in my Martin 00-18.
bk

Post by bk »

Was it on this forum that I saw a response from fishman that they refused to make a rare earth to accomodate selmer guitars?

IMO if they them made to fit they would do quite well. I also have a Foley bouzouki with a sound hole near the size of a petit bouche. It's begging for the rare earth. I can't say enough about these pickups gang. Hearing it was one those "where were you when..." moments.

Lop those D-Hole fingerboards off! You'll thank me
lnb

Post by lnb »

I have been trying to convince Fishman about making a pickup to fit but so far they are not willing to give it a go, they make one for the f***ing banjo for gods sake why not one of our guitars. I use humbucker Rare Earths on all my guitars except the Selmer style, i even managed to saw bits off one to fit the Fylde Egyptian guitar i have (the oval hole is bigger though than a selmer) with good results.....see pic....anyway please send Fishman a request for one to fit our style of guitars, the more they get then there is a chance they may do something about it.
Attachments
DSCF0463.JPG
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

NewcastleBud

Post by NewcastleBud »

Hey BK, In my opinion, you're better off with the humbucking version. I've got the single coil in my Maccafakie and while the sound reproduction is great, sometimes in certain clubs and/or P.A. systems this thing buzzes like a cheap T.V.
bk

Post by bk »

It is the humbucker. It's great.