Woodland guitars, Eagle Guitars?

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Bbender

Woodland guitars, Eagle Guitars?

Post by Bbender »

Anyone have any experience with Woodland or Eagle guitars? I found a couple of Woodlands at http://www.palmguitars.nland http://www.gypsyguitars.de , at very friendly prices... And the swedish brand Eagle ([url]http://www.eagleinstruments.nu)[/url] has a "Django model" called SX DJG1. I just wonder if anyone knows these guitars, and if they would be any good for a "Django guitar newbie.."?
B25Gib

Woodland Guitars

Post by B25Gib »

.....I and my bandmate both played a Woodland at DjangoFest NW 2004 USA and were shocked at at the poor sound and volume. Unless Woodland has totally redesigned the guitar it is not worth having. It is like trying to make a log vibrate! As your ear develops and you distinguish this, you will feel guilty about selling it to your only market, which is another newbie.
.....Eagle Mfg is unknown to me.
.....Buy a used Model DG 250 or 255 Gitane off EBAY for about $450 US as they are well-built ( a little overbuilt meaning extra durable) and have plenty of volume and decent tone, though not particulary the "Gypsy Sound".
.....Jam On!

.....Rocky
minorchavo

Post by minorchavo »

yes it sound almost like unplugged electric guitar
latcho dives
Bbender

Post by Bbender »

OK, thanks for your advice. I guess I would be better off spending some more on a Gitane, then..

But I'm still curious about the Eagle SX DJG1, or just SX DJG1 (I'm not sure if Eagle instruments might be just the name of the importer).
It's probably as "bad" as the Woodland and the other cheaper models, but it might be better than the others, who knows..?

Bbender
Ganondorf

Post by Ganondorf »

stop being a cheapskate and fork out the extra cash and get a good one!
It may seem a little pricey at the moment but this music is so addictive i guarantee that you will be at it for the rest of your life , and rather than go round the bushes and getting crap guitar after crap guitar (forever trading in and never happy with the sound) get a good un.You will not regret it. The people who play this sort of music are really helpful aswell because we all know how hard it is to play in this style. There are lots of helpful people knocking about but beware because there are also a lot of nutters aswell!! :D
Bbender

Post by Bbender »

"stop being a cheapskate and fork out the extra cash and get a good one"
I'm not sure what "a cheapskate" means (I'm from Norway), but I guess it's not a positive expression.. But if the mentioned cheap guitars are no good, then I guess I'll wait until I can "fork out" the extra cash for a Gitane (I guess that qualifies as "a good one"?)
BachelorNo2

Post by BachelorNo2 »

hey. You might want to check out Manouche guitars because I've heard good things about them and they sound better than gitanes. They are worth a bit more than a gitane i think but it's something worth checking out. After saying so, I play a gitane myself and they're not bad at all.
Josh Hegg

Post by Josh Hegg »

I work on all sorts of GJ guitars and the majority of them are entry level instruments. So I get to play them and really get a good idea of how they play and how they sound. That being said I feel that the best guitar fro under $1,000 is the Gitane DG-300. With a good set up and a proper bridge these guitars a blast to play and sound really nice.

Cheers,
Josh
Bbender

Post by Bbender »

OK, thanks for the advice. What would you say is the difference between the Gitane DG300 and the cheapest models DG250 and 255 (if you've tried them all)? The 250 or 255 is more in the right price range for me..
Josh Hegg

Post by Josh Hegg »

They are all well made. The tone of the 255 is not nearly as good as the 300 but not bad with a good set up and bridge. The huge difference is the neck. The neck on the 255 is ultra thin. The one problem with this (and I have seen this with two 255 now) is that the neck has a hard time when shipped to a hot place. I think this can be taken care of with some truss adjusting but in both cases the neck bowed far enough to make the guitar unplayable. Just something to keep in mind.

The difference is the head stock in the 250 and the 255. They sound the same and I like the looks and ease of sting change in the 255 model. All in all the 300 is worth the extra money and that is what I suggest. But if the 250 or 255 are your options the 255 is a good intro guitar. It can be set up correctly and will allow you to learn with a guitar that can be played.

Cheers,
Josh