Marin Guitars

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

FSUGypsyJazz

Marin Guitars

Post by FSUGypsyJazz »

First of, is there a US destributor for these guitars??? I notice there are getting fairly popular and I have heard good things. what are you guys thoughts????
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
devinci

Post by devinci »

There is no distributer in the U.S. as far as I know the only shop to buy one in is guitar village outside of Paris, you can try ordering one through them, and I think the guitar village site has a link to Olivier Marin's site.

Olivier Marin has a limmited production rate, prefering to work on one or two guitars at a time and taking a minimum of a month to complet one. Every Olivier Marin guitar I have played has been great and some have been phenomenal. I have had a perticularly good one for about two years now, which I bought privately in Paris, it is improving with age and is also one of the most beautiful django style guitars I have seen, which goes for all of his guitars. All of them are beautiful objects as well as fantastic, subtle, broad range, inspiering guitars. They are now well established as the guitar of choice for 'the new Paris elite', Sebastien Giniaux, Mathuie Chatlain, Rodolphe Raffali, Adrian, and others.

I really don't know the best way for going about getting an Olivier Marin, but go to Samois, find him on the camp site and try and buy a guitar of him then and there, he usually brings one to sell.

Out of intrest, how did you hear about them and what good things did you hear?

Cheers,

Robin
jitjo

Post by jitjo »

Are Marin's guitars made of laminate or solid wood?

I tried the Google automatic language translator and here is what I got for one of the guitars at Guitare Village:

Copy Selmer, table spruce, back and fish-plates Indian purple wood, 14 boxes except small case stops, 2440 ? :shock:

The secret to the tone is in those purple wood fish plates, no doubt!
devinci

Post by devinci »

http://maringuitare.ifrance.com/accueil(uk).html

the link has to be done with the (uk).html bit on the end
FSUGypsyJazz

Post by FSUGypsyJazz »

I have heard little things here and there on the web about thim. I know a lot of guys in Paris use them. They sound pretty damn all right in video or recordings I have heard where cats are using them. I am in the market for a new guitar and didn't want to jump into anything although I think I have found a brand and model i like I am keeping options open for now.

Thanks for all the information.
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

i have to agree the olivier marin guitars are great! wonderful tone and projection , the only downisde is that it doesn't do your laundry...
daveblag

Post by daveblag »

After the brilliant write up Maurice Dupont got in Guitar Buyer last year i went to the Birmingham guitar show with my pockets stuffed with Euros to meet the man and buy an md50. I went with another player and we swapped between a D hole a vielle reserve and the md50, i know with the the constant hum at shows it is not the best place to check out a guitar but we were both of the opinion that they were not as good as expected soundwise, needless to say i came back with a bag full of posters and a few free weedy 1mm picks!!!(the only good thing was i got to try his parents own label cognac fantastic stuff!!!)
On my return i started the guitar hunt on the computer, i tapped in "marin" and up popped an oval hole for sale, it turned out to be a guitar i had tried and was impressed with at "Lesprit Manouche"belonging to stublag!! needless to say i bought it over the phone and collected it a week later!!.Ihave played many original Selmers and olivier Marins guitars soundwise are in my opinion the closest around.
If you do buy one, they are not numbered but if you check inside the sound hole towards the neck with an inspection mirror and torch, you will find a year and date upside down in french!! good luck!!

daveblag
Last edited by daveblag on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FSUGypsyJazz

Post by FSUGypsyJazz »

they sound great guys. Unfortunately with no US distributor and the exchange rate I probably wont get one, unless someone in the US has one for sale. Oh well.
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
londonpuppy

Post by londonpuppy »

We shouldn't forget though that stublag left the Marin guitar for the Godefroy Maruejouls.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

is he endorsing them though?
londonpuppy

Post by londonpuppy »

definitely not ...
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I wish I could try one - and a Marin :)
frater

Post by frater »

Stublag's sound samples with the Maruejouls are simply outstanding...
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
daveblag

stublags Godefroy Maruejouls

Post by daveblag »

I spoke to Stu the other day and he is still smarting about selling his Marin, but you can't argue about the stunning impact the Maruejouls has on the ears --don't sit to close --it makes them bleed!!!! check out the pained expression on my face at "Lesprit Manouche" 2005, (www below) great playing Stu but i'm going to sit on your left side this year!!!!!
stublag

Post by stublag »

frater wrote:Stublag's sound samples with the Maruejouls are simply outstanding...

Well thankyou!!!
Hope to finish my CD before Samois finances allowing!
The maruejouls is a wonderful guitar
I notice there is one for sale at the moment in the classifieds section
Stu