Looking for a Left handed gypsy guitar

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

edan13390

Looking for a Left handed gypsy guitar

Post by edan13390 »

Does anyone know what should I do to FIND a left handed gypsy guitar.
I have been searching everywhere, I dont know what to do plz Help.

Thanks
Edan
Scotsman

Re: Looking for a Left handed gypsy guitar

Post by Scotsman »

edan13390 wrote:Does anyone know what should I do to FIND a left handed gypsy guitar.
I have been searching everywhere, I dont know what to do plz Help.

Thanks
Edan
elderly instruments has one http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/46U-103.htm
frater

Post by frater »

Yes: it's a MD 30, solid indian rosewood back and sides. Great guitar. Dupont sells it now for 3000 euros, 3200 $ is not a bad bargain (3200$=2640 E)

Best
Franco
edan13390

Post by edan13390 »

Man these guitars do cost A LOT of money. I am a 15 year old kid with hardly any money. My parents said they wont pay that much.....
Is there anything cheaper?
Thanks
Edan
frater

Post by frater »

Your parents are right!

I'm afraid it will be rather difficult to find a left handed GJ guitar at a cheap price (simply because you won't easily find a factory-made one and hand-made guitars are expensive!). Have you already got an acoustic guitar? If not, you might consider to buy an Ovation waiting to raise the money for your first 1939 original Selmer... damn, Bireli e and Stochelo have used them too!

Take a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 55117&rd=1
djangology

Post by djangology »

you might also consider playing right handed... I have a friend who is left handed who plays guitar right handed and he does just fine... you can also string a right handed guitar backwards... which is what Patrick Sassois does isnt it?
edan13390

Post by edan13390 »

I could string it backwards, but, what about the cutaway?
bungalowbill

lefthanded guitar

Post by bungalowbill »

greetings from a fellow lefty.. I've been playing to long to change to righthanded. I currently play a Takamine dred with extra light strings. As I cannot afford a custom guitar at this time I'm considering a Gitane and stringing it lefty!!! Cutaway be damned!!! New nut I could have done anywhere, but a lefty bridge???? ...any ideas out there? Besides it would be easier to sell when I can afford a handbuilt.
everybody is from somewhere,..even if you've never been there...
Lmntry

Post by Lmntry »

you can also string a right handed guitar backwards... which is what Patrick Sassois does isnt it?
Actually...Patrick Saussois plays left handed...and strings his left handed guitar backwards. :shock:

So...when he does play a left handed instrument he will actually string it backwards. :?

Albert King did the same thing....just flips it around and plays a guitar strung for a right handed player .. left handed...AMAZING

David
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

djangology wrote:you might also consider playing right handed... I have a friend who is left handed who plays guitar right handed and he does just fine... you can also string a right handed guitar backwards... which is what Patrick Sassois does isnt it?
No, Patrick Saussois plays a right handed guitar (strung for right handed people) left handed.
edan13390

Post by edan13390 »

It is so difficult to find a gypsy guitar for leftys I really dont know what to do.
How will it cost to custom make it?
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

if you're looking for a cheap left handed gypsy guitar then a Patenotte looks to be the way to go. www.gypsyguitars.com sometimes has left-handed Patenottes for sale - go to the website and email Jacques, and ask him about them. Cheers,

Nick
Djangoslefthandman

Post by Djangoslefthandman »

Hi Edan

As a right-hander who plays left handed I have every sympathy with your problem. I bought an instrument from this shop in Paris which had the right sound/volume and playability at a good price 1000 Euros/800 uk pounds approx. They had a couple of lefties in stock or will make.

Downside is they don't speak English so you will need someone to speak francais.

Have you considered a Dobro/resonator guitar ? I used a BluesShouter for a while - left hander at approx 250uk. You will be amazed at how close you can make these sound with the correct picking placement/style and strung with argies - much closer than an ovation.

Best
Ray

http://www.romeinstruments.com/

ROME INSTRUMENTS
54, rue de Rome
75008 Paris
Tél. 01 42 93 23 62
Fax 01 40 08 08 07

Ouvert du mardi au samedi
De 9h30 à 13h00
Et de 14h00 à 18h30

contact@romeinstruments.com
frater

Post by frater »

There's certainly a link between Selmac and Resophonic guitar... Maccaferri used a resonator, Bob Brozman plays often a D-hole guitar (not to mention Johnny Depp in "Chocolate"!).
Also you can get close to the GJ sound with parlour guitars: the Seagull Grand for example, with Argies on, can do the trick quite well...

Best,
Franco
BachelorNo2

-

Post by BachelorNo2 »

I love parlour guitars they're so cute. But I actually enjoy playing them and with the right strings IMO would replicate the gypsy sound well.