Looking for a Left handed gypsy guitar

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

edan13390

Post by edan13390 »

I dont know, I actually wanted to buy a real GYPSY guitar. I dont want to buy something that almost has the gypsy sound, I wanted a true left handed guitar.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

then get a Patenotte!
frater

Post by frater »

I played an old Patenotte, real entry level model, some weeks ago: laminated top and even so a loud instrument with the right tone! Fat neck and yet reasonable action ( spartan floating bridge working fine). I didn't buy it for around 400 euros and now it's gone, damn! If you can find a left handed one, that would certainly be the way to go.

Good luck!
edan13390

Post by edan13390 »

I looked in the gypsy guitars website and there was a Dupont MD 100 left handed guitar. Is it any good? It sells for $2300, is that reasonable?
frater

Post by frater »

Dupont sells it for 1950 euro, so 2300 $ seems a reasonable price (plus you won't have to wait...). The MD 100 sounds very much like a MD 50, just less gorgeous cosmetically speaking (but I noticed this lefty one has a nice tint and a better tailpiece than usually seen on MD 100).
davidkrycer

Lefty guitars

Post by davidkrycer »

Well, it's been a long time since this post started but I just found it so I thought I'd add my 2 euros worth. The last of the swing/musette guitarists of note, Didi Duprat, was a lefty who played an upside down Selmer style guitar strung left handed. He just played with the cutaway on the 'wrong' side. You can hear him in the Paris Musette CDs of the early 1990s. When I came back from a visit to Paris 4 years ago I went straight to my local guitar store and bought the best Saga Gitane I could find and had them make me a lefty bridge for it. It sounds great, especially with a Schatten pickup in it (but my preference is to mic it). Years after that I had a lefty Shelley Park made for me. It's lovely but for travelling on planes, and keeping on a stand beside my desk, I use my Gitane. I don't know what the 15 year old guitarist has done, but maybe like Duprat (and Hendrix) he's chosen a good righty and flipped it.