Left handed Stimer 51s

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

davidkrycer

Left handed Stimer 51s

Post by davidkrycer »

Has anyone seen a left handed Stimer 51 pickup? I'm not sure whether the ones offered by Dupont are really different between left and right handed even though they're listed as such.

David, Australia
emackenz

Post by emackenz »

Hi David - thanks for the jams over the last week - sorry you missed the jam with Yorgui and Samson :wink: - I have a Stimer and I'm looking at it and I can't see any reason it couldn't fit both ways...the arms are at different points either side and the higher one avoids the brace behind the hole on a right handed guitar, but I've seen pics of Stimers mounted from above so.. I could probably sell it at the moment if you're after one. I could have brought it down if we'd had this conversation last week .. :D
btw love your Shelley Park! pity we're John and Paul..
cheers
Ewan
davidkrycer

Stimer offer

Post by davidkrycer »

Thanks for the offer Ewan. It sounds like it's a big 48 you're offering but I'm after a lefty 51, the small one Django is seen playing on the cover of the Rough Guide to Gypsy Swing CD. I don't see how the right handed one of them can fit a left handed guitar except to have the wire sticking out on top. I don't know if there's any asymmetry in the wiring inside them, like in Fender pickups (I believe) so am loathe to swap them around anyhow.

All the best,

David
emackenz

Post by emackenz »

ah yes of course - dopey me - rushed in before looking at your post :) - mine is indeed a 48 - the lead has been hardwired to the pickup, and the volume knob is broken - but it sounds fine.
seeya mate!
Ewan
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

for a left handed guitar just attach it upside down so that the wire hangs down.
davidkrycer

Post by davidkrycer »

Thanks for the suggestion but so far, when I attach it, the wire goes up, not down. The internal bracing stops me attaching ito the back part of the sound hole though a couple of bits of gaffer tape or sticky muck might help there. Did you mean to somehow reverse the clip at the back of the pickup? I don't know if it can be done but it would be good if it could be. What I'll have to try, I think, when I have a bit more time is to see if it feels OK with the wire going up instead of down. That is, see if the wire leading to the amp doesn't get in the way.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I was assuming you were planning to find another means of attaching it - the clip is a pretty recent innovation I believe. Or you could just tuck the wire somewhere out of the way.
davidkrycer

Stimer 51 clip

Post by davidkrycer »

Oh, I see, and I just saw a photo of Maurice Ferret (in Dregni's book) with his 51 sticky taped (sellotoaped/clear taped) to his grande bouche. That puts things in perspective for me. Thanks
Phydeaux3

Post by Phydeaux3 »

Blue Tak. Works everytime.
Alors! Un, deux...
davidkrycer

Post by davidkrycer »

Blue tak's good for posters but in my experience not so reliable for pickups. Anyway, my question still is current, has anyone ever seen a lefty Stimer 51? I know the company advertises them but I'd like to know if anyone's seen one. I'm now not sure that a right handed one on a lefty guitar is better than a bona fide left handed one - I still have to explore that possibility.
emackenz

Post by emackenz »

just thought you'd like to see this from last Saturday in Melbourne Orstralia ... not Melbourn in Cambridgeshire.
that's David with the lefty everyone!! :) - now I've embarassed you David - and you one of nature's gentlemen (is there an emoticon for a bow?)
Ewan

I'm sure that's a cigarette in Jules' hand - dont' see them in Australia much these days :) nor alcohol... must be that new PM ....
Sorry - back to Stimers...
emackenz

Post by emackenz »

Also in case some of you have never seen a photo of the guru himself Ross Hetherington - that's him in the back with the D Hole pointing southeast - author of countless amazing powertab transcriptions on this very site.
...ok you're right .. enough red wine..go to bed ewan...
kimmo

Post by kimmo »

davidkrycer wrote:Blue tak's good for posters but in my experience not so reliable for pickups. Anyway, my question still is current, has anyone ever seen a lefty Stimer 51? I know the company advertises them but I'd like to know if anyone's seen one. I'm now not sure that a right handed one on a lefty guitar is better than a bona fide left handed one - I still have to explore that possibility.
I've got one, which I use upside down on my righty oval hole. Vol knob is on top of the side and so the cord goes between me and my guitar. I'll try to remember to post some pics when I get home, I'm not sure I can explain this with words only...

Modern cords (especially the good ones) are quite heavy, so it's better IMO to have the knob lying on top of the upper side than attached to the top. If your putty fails you (knob attached to the top) and your cord pulls the knob down, your Stimer is sure to follow, the clip is not really that tight.

kimmo
frater

Post by frater »

A bit off topic but I couldn't help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RlVXMjBn0

Raffalli is an immense guitarist... and his playing is perfect for the Stimer.
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
Phydeaux3

Post by Phydeaux3 »

Blue Tak the Stimer on to the guitar, because the clip only allows you to position the Stimer in one position. I've been Blue Tak-ing my Stimer on my guitar for 7 years both in recording and playing live with absolutely no problem and now have a 'sweet' spot for it on the soundboard because I can move it around. Those with the annoying little bar clips, hacksaw them off and use Blue-Tak.
Alors! Un, deux...