Possible guitar trade

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

nwilkins

Possible guitar trade

Post by nwilkins »

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who would be interested in potentially sending me a Gibson L-7 or similar acoustic archtop in return for a high end handmade gypsy guitar? PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Nick
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

You're not giving up on us, are you?
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

oh no, don't worry about that :)
blindbluesandjazz

Post by blindbluesandjazz »

Hi Nick--

I'm selling one of mine if you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

--Colin
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

hey thanks for the tip Colin, but I am now (as of the 25th) the proud owner of a rare (and pretty much mint) professional grade 17" Epi - a 1951 Devon :)

BTW I see you were looking at buying an early 1930s L-12. If it is the one I'm thinking of with a small crack in the back and a refin job then good luck - it is a tiny bit overpriced but if the refin job was done well it should be worth the money (I almost bought it), esp seeing as how cheap it is!
blindbluesandjazz

Nick--

Do you mean the one from Nothing New Music in New Jersey? It's on it's way and should arrive tomorrow. How is the Devon? I've never played one of those.
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
djangology

Post by djangology »

I am also thinking of buying a Gibson L7-c ;-)
Campus Five

Post by Campus Five »

Not a new custom shop L7-C because those things are terrible! Any particular reason you're looking at a cutaway? I've been playing my Eastman 805 non-cut fo the last couple months and haven't found the need for a cutaway. Plus any archtop without a cutaway will sound way better (acoustically) than one with a cutaway.
blindbluesandjazz

I agree, I wouldn't get a cutaway unless it was going to be a dedicated electric. That having been said, my friend Jordan uses an L-7 C that does have pretty great acoustic tone. For acoustic archtops, I strongly suggest anybody looking for one try as many pre-war ones as they can. I'm generalizing, of course, but I find that most post-war archtops, including L-5's and Emperor's were built too heavy, and sound kind of flat.
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

yeah Colin - that was the guitar I almost bought. let me know how it is (if it is amazing then I will probably kick myself, but at least I know it's owned by a good guy who will appreciate it). The Devon is just to tide me over until I have enough money to buy a nicer archtop (I'm currently a grad student with no job)- I figure it should still be a pretty great guitar, and it will only appreciate in value, so I may sell it when the time comes :)