Should gypsy jazz strings come with extras in each pack?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

djangology

Should gypsy jazz strings come with extras in each pack?

Post by djangology »

I was just curious what other people thought about this since it seems that I quite often dont change my strings unless i have to and 8 times out of 10 its a G or D string that breaks first. This being the case, it seems that one of the string makers could steal market share by packing an extra G string or D string?

It would be cool if I had these options:

1. Normal .10s pack with 6 strings
2. Normal .11s pack with 6 strings
3. .10s pack with extra G string
4. .10s pack with extra D string

Maybe this is a bad idea, or maybe its not. What do you guys think? Or maybe if one of the string dealers started adding an extra string single to every pack ordered?

Does anyone know someone who has a 10 pack of G singles in stock? I need some again...
RICK-D15

Post by RICK-D15 »

You should be able to get away with throwing a bronze G string on if you just need a temporary replacement. The difference in sound is not that great. I wouldn't do it with the D string-- too much of a difference there.
"It's all one big note" - Frank Zappa
djangology

Post by djangology »

im thinking about buying a pack of Gali singles... thanks... :-)
overtone

Post by overtone »

they should include extra e's at least, the extra cost would be nominal. or maybe add extra d's for an additional $1 a pack or something like that.

i break more e's than anything, but its usually not while playing. its while i'm tuning. my guitar tends to go sharp while playing and while its sitting in the case. everytime i take it out instead of being flat like any other guitar i've had, my Gitane goes sharp. and while i'm tuning my e string down, that's when it'll usually break.

weird huh?
overtone
pallopenna

Post by pallopenna »

I've been thinking about buying single strings (from juststrings.com), but for a different reason. I'd like to experiment with combining a .11 E-string with a light guage set. Does anyone else mix and match sets? I'd be curious to hear experiences...

In any event, juststrings does sell the G and D strings, BUT they're only the ball-end, and they're pricey ($2.80 a string).

-Paul
-Paul Allopenna

If stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out of it?
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

pallopenna wrote:I've been thinking about buying single strings (from juststrings.com), but for a different reason. I'd like to experiment with combining a .11 E-string with a light guage set. Does anyone else mix and match sets? I'd be curious to hear experiences...

In any event, juststrings does sell the G and D strings, BUT they're only the ball-end, and they're pricey ($2.80 a string).

-Paul
Robin Nolan, I think, uses a mixed set. I think if you look around, you can find some that are gauged that way, even though they're not marketed as a 'mixed set'. Can't remember who it was that made 'em, though.

Jack.
devinci

Post by devinci »

I wish Argentine 10's came with an 11 e string.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I use GHS Gypsy Strings for spares and as they are gauges 11 14 21w 27w 35w 45w so that would be like a mixed set and at $3.95 a set thats cheaper than than buying a couple of single strings and covers all the bases. I think Lenzner also makes a similar gauged set.
Galli

Post by Galli »

I always play with a .11 on .10-set It works fine and you don't have to buy .11 argentines. You can buy them from any brand cause they are all the same. It's all in the EADG strings that makes the difference.
Velvet Goldmine

Post by Velvet Goldmine »

I must ad something to this aregtine string deate that ive been following for months now. I msu declear, that NONE of my strings have ever gone bad, althou I played on my frist set fro aboyt 4 moths, almost evry day, noone ever broke, they did get greasy and stuf, but that slitage is kinda common after 4 months. And the new set I have, played on it for about 3 moths, not a single string has broke, nor is a single string sounding dead or messed up, I have several people that have tested the guitar and confirmed this fact. Im so lucky :)
stublag

Post by stublag »

devinci wrote:I wish Argentine 10's came with an 11 e string.

I agree.
The perfect sound imho is an .011 on top with an Argentine .045 set
Argentines are great!---its their imperfection that i like so much --just like a Vox AC30 :-)
Phosphor Bronze are SO boring(Too bluegrass)---and Silk and steel don't quite have the bite I need!!!
Stu
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I also think the way to go is a set of purples with an .011 on top - what brand do you guys recommend for the top string if I dont want to have to buy Argentines for it?
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

nwilkins wrote:I also think the way to go is a set of purples with an .011 on top - what brand do you guys recommend for the top string if I dont want to have to buy Argentines for it?
When it comes to the plan unwound strings, any brand will work.
pallopenna

Post by pallopenna »

I just ordered singles from Big City Strings for the high E string. They're GHS strings, but as Ted said, for the unwound strings, it doesn't matter. What's interesting is that they carry both .11 and .105 strings, so I'll try them both. They also have both ball and loop ends. And, they're relatively cheap ($.65 for the high E).

-Paul
-Paul Allopenna

If stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out of it?