Schatten Selmer /Mac Pickup

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

GitanePlayer

Schatten Selmer /Mac Pickup

Post by GitanePlayer »

Just found this website for a Canadian company that makes a transducer to fit our selmer/mac clones!

I've not heared anyone talking about them - anyone got one?

http://www.schattendesign.com/HFN-CS-Artist.htm

I think I'm gonna give one a go.....
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Michael Collins is a big fan of these; I think he's started to use them as his stock pickup, so they must be on to something.
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

I'll post my feedback as soon as I get it installed . .. .
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I'll be interested to hear how it sounds.I wonder how you would get your hand in the petite bouche to install it?There must be a trick of the trade in installing pickups in general in these guitars. Anybody know :?: Iknow I had a helluva time with that homemade radio shack peizo pickup which by the way did'nt work out in the long run. :(
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

Reply from Les at Schatten Design ....
'good day Mike,
If the Saga guys did the bracing the way they were supposed to then the pickup will fit as supplied. The only issue is that with the small soundhole you're going to have to make up a little flat stick (or one with a little S bend to it) to allow you to mark the distance from the lip of the soundhole to the bridge, lightly stick the pickup to the stick, and then reasonably accurately place the pickup.....it really shouldn't be very difficult.
I'm gonna place a small mirror inside placed at an angle....or try and get hold of one of those dentist's mirrors!!!
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Yeh a small mirror might just work,I tried the dental mirror idea and an S shaped coat hanger and it was just too small to see what I was doing and the real trick is using something sticky enough to hold the pickup but not so sticky that you can't get it to release from the S shaped tool. I wish you luck and let us know how it sounds.
All the best ,
Scotsman
Velvet Goldmine

Post by Velvet Goldmine »

Hmm, let us know how you are doing, since the less-exoenisve on of them is in my price range, and I'm thinking about buying it would be good to get some response. I'm not quite happy with drilling in my beatiful Pattenote, is that realy necesary, or is there any other way you might solve it?
seamusmctube

schatten stuff

Post by seamusmctube »

I was just at that site. Those pickups look like the real deal. Certainly unique. I'll get my new AJL 503 in a couple of weeks and I think I'll try that pickup out. Hope it sounds cool. Getting any instrument amplified is a pain in the butt. I've been doing sessions for years on electric guitar and I'm so tired of turning knobs. With a great acoustic instrument I just pick the damn thing up and play and it sounds great and if it doesn't it's because I still suck. Now this whole thing is gonna get jacked up again as I try to figure out away to force my horrible playing on innocent ears in a much louder manner.

God what did I just say? Anyone........? No more beers for Snoopy.
mitch251

Post by mitch251 »

I never met a transducer that liked..... . I just ripped the bigtone out of
my guitar and I am waitng for a new bridge.
Please keep us posted but I wont hold my breath for a good review.
I think you would get a better sound with a mic and some sort of
electro magnetic pickup.
Good Luck
Tom
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

Since the drummer joined my band I have had to get amplified just to hear myself. I started a thread a while back about drums in Gypsy Jazz, and whilst I agreed that they can add a cool groove and swing to the music, modern kits are just too damn loud!!....

I prefer using a mic but suffer from feed back problems. When I use a mic I am always a lot quieter than my other guitarist who uses a nylon strung guitar with a built-in pickup.

Any advice on using mics? I have a Shure Beta 57 style mic which is really nice and also a Shure 16L condenser. I have tried both of these through my Marshall ASR50. The condenser has much more gain but I prefer the sound of the 57.

The main problem I have is with hearing myself on stage - any advice here? Could I use my AMP as a personal monitor without feeding back?
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

GitanePlayer wrote:I'll post my feedback as soon as I get it installed . .. .
Did you ever get that pickup installed ?
GitanePlayer

Post by GitanePlayer »

Not yet... ordering it just after xmas
Djosh

Post by Djosh »

I have been fighting the feed back issue for a while now as I use a mic. I just can't stand the big tone sound and have not come across anything that can truly transfer the tone of my guitar thru my amp. Just the other day got a cool little box called the Shark DSP110 by Behringer. I was ready for the let down as in the past these sort of filters just totally carp out the tone. But I was delightfully surprised. I played with it for the first time in a live setting this morning at our brunch gig. It was great! It took some tweaking to get set (that I did at home) but it was so nice to be able to play at level without fighting feed back. In short a dream. I highly recommend this for any one using a mic for any instrument. It works really well on my guitar. If you can find one to try out go for it. It is a bit of a task to set up but really worth the time.

Josh
If you swing it... Bring it.
Campus Five

Post by Campus Five »

What kind of set up does it entail?
Djosh

Post by Djosh »

Campus Five... here is my set up

mic: Audio-technica AT831b (miniature cardioid condenser mic)
amp: Fender Blues Jr.
shark: Feed back filter and preamp

The set up of the Shark is tricky at first because the manuel is not easy to figure out. Maybe it would be for you but it was not for me. It took me a full evening of messing with the box and buttons to finally understand what the thing was doing. At first all I got was some crazy delay. This is one of the features of the Shark so that you can set up more then one speaker in a large room and sync them so there is not a sound bounce. I turned this off because I only use one amp. The other thing that took some time was finding the correct "gate" cutoff that worked with my guitar. I had to guess how loud the room was going to be i.e. crowd noise and set the gate. As for the feed back that is easy. There is an active filter that is always on and searching for feed back. That kills any feed back almost as soon as it starts. This can be set for "clip" and took about 3 min of sound test at the gig at set up. The Shark is not really user friendly but if it was it would not work well. There is just no way to get around the technical aspect of what it is doing. It is by far the most tech thing I have played with. And the best part is you can't hear it. If you had it tucked away no one would even know you had anything inline!

Let me know if I didn't cover the info you are looking for.
Cheers,
Josh
If you swing it... Bring it.