Dugain Picks

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

FSUGypsyJazz

Dugain Picks

Post by FSUGypsyJazz »

hey guys. After being a steady wegen user for about the past year now I am looking in to trying other picks, and or making some of my own. I was just wondering how thick (mm wise) are the Dugain Horn picks? Anyone ever use them how do they sound? I like the idea of using natural material.
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
Djazz Nomad

Post by Djazz Nomad »

Dugain pcks are great. I had a couple some years ago and got so used to the index finger/thumb cut outs that I can't play with any other style. I've made a Wegen material one in the same style; though don't particularly like the material, has a too plasticky sound for my taste. The horn would be the one to go for.
Scotsman

Re: Dugain Picks

Post by Scotsman »

FSUGypsyJazz wrote:hey guys. After being a steady wegen user for about the past year now I am looking in to trying other picks, and or making some of my own. I was just wondering how thick (mm wise) are the Dugain Horn picks? Anyone ever use them how do they sound? I like the idea of using natural material.
I recently tried the Dugain bone pick it was about the same thickness as Wegans gypsy jazz around 3.5mm. Bone in general sounds a little sharper but also thinner sounding as you get higher up the neck I've found that Water Buffalo horn sounds
closer to the Wegan.I found the Dugain pick just okay I didnt like the shape of the grip I think you might be happier with your own design plus its kind of fun making your own. You can find bone and buffalo horn blanks at www.TexasKnifemaking.com
overtone

Post by overtone »

dude, we're gonna have to get a forum going just on picks and pick making...i've been toying with the same ideas...some folks threw out some good suggestions in my post "BWE."

what are wegens made out of anyways?

the dugains i have are not quite as thick as the wegan 3.5mm i have, but they vary. i have a rosewood and horn dugains they are both much warmer sounding than the bone. rosewood is as soft and warm sounding as you'd expect, but the horn is very well rounded tone, but flakes and chips pretty easily i think, so does hoof appearantly.

another place that was suggested to get various 'natural' supplies such as bone, horns and hoofs was a pet store.