Argentine A String Problem

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

RICK-D15

Post by RICK-D15 »

What a disappointment these Argentines have been . Of the 5 sets I ordered, all 5 had a bum A string. That's utterly ridiculous. They won't get any complaints from me. I'm just going to count my losses and wait for my GHS strings to arrive.
overtone

Post by overtone »

so i sent savarez a nice little e-mail describing the problem, and included how i've spoken to several other players about this, and how i work for a maker of gypsy jazz guitars, and that i let a lot of people know i was having this problem...but still said stuff like...i still want to try argentines out and possibly recommend them to others...and that i'm a beginner, don't let this one set discourage me or people i know from ever buying argentines again...that sort of thing...let's see what happens, i don't expect anything, i just like writing nastygrams(mean spirited letters.)

peace.
overtone

Post by overtone »

well, i didn't hear back as of yet, but i suppose savarez is just tired of hearing about and dealing with stupid yanks like me.

anyways i tried the trick suggested on this thread about giving the string 4 to 5 twists in the counterclockwise direction at the ball end before bringing the string to tension...and it seemed to work. it was buzzing a lot for the first few minutes but that went away and all strings are now the same timbre.

i can imagine though, more than a handful of rookies like me out there that aren't on this board or the yahoo group not knowing what to do and basically just giving up. Frankly, I don't see why most people wouldn't, unless they start including some instructions or a diagram or something.
lnb

Post by lnb »

I just bought 3 sets from this site and all three A strings were duff, i know its not this sites problem its saverez's problem, we should all jointly send a demand for better quality controll. I think i will have to look for an alternative string manufacturer. What is out there?.
RICK-D15

Post by RICK-D15 »

Does anyone know what kind of string can be subsituted for these duds that will sound okay? Will a bronze work? Silk and steel?

Please advise,

Rick
"It's all one big note" - Frank Zappa
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I e-mailed Savarez a month ago and got a prompt reply, however I'm still waiting for my replacement strings :x Has anyone else recieved there free strings :?:
mitch251

Argentines

Post by mitch251 »

Have any of you tried DelleArte strings I find them to be more consistant
Than the Argentines and easier to get. And they sound good!
I know some of you may be a little hesitant but they I find they hold
up well with minimal if no breakage.
My 2 cents
Best
Tom
Djazz Nomad

Post by Djazz Nomad »

Scotsman wrote:I e-mailed Savarez a month ago and got a prompt reply, however I'm still waiting for my replacement strings :x Has anyone else recieved there free strings :?:
Yeah, same here. Prompt reply to email, very apologetic etc., asked for mailing address and proceeded to send absolutely nothing!! This was over a month ago. :(
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Djazz Nomad wrote: Yeah, same here. Prompt reply to email, very apologetic etc., asked for mailing address and proceeded to send absolutely nothing!! This was over a month ago. :(
Hmmm.. I suspect, in your case, the person on the other end caught a whiff of your stinky garlic breath on an attachment and decided to terminate any further communication.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Caballero wrote:Hmmm.. I suspect, in your case, the person on the other end caught a whiff of your stinky garlic breath on an attachment and decided to terminate any further communication.
I must say Cabo, I find most of your comments, banal, childish and vulgar but that one made me shoot my third slice of garlic toast all over the computer screen. 10/10 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

I just recieved my first custom built Selmer-Style guitar and went through 3 sets of Argentines. All had a dull or weird sounding A-string! At first I suspected the guitar, since I couldn't believe that such expensive strings could have such a problem. Now that I hear of all your problems, the reason is quite obvious and so is the solution: forget Argentines, it's just not worth the bother! The Galli Silk and Steel Folk Strings that have now don't sound much worse (at less than half the cost) and all strings sound great.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Let's stop nancying around about this, Argentines are grossly over-rated. You are all being brain washed by questionable PR. The same is true of Wegen picks.
RICK-D15

Post by RICK-D15 »

Teddy Dupont wrote:Let's stop nancying around about this, Argentines are grossly over-rated. You are all being brain washed by questionable PR. The same is true of Wegen picks.
I think you are right, doctor. The Wegen is grossly over-priced, that's for certain. I sure like the sound of the good Argentines but that company's got to get their s**t together on these A strings.
"It's all one big note" - Frank Zappa
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

For a nice fat rhythm sound a la Titi Bamberger use some flatwound 13s a la Titi Bamberger ;)
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I thought I'd give the Argentine lights a try thinking they might not have the same problems with the A string. No dead A However the G string snapped almost Immediatly at the loop end.I'm starting to think Savarez must be sending all their old rejects to America just to piss us off :x .I just ordered some Lenzers from Big city,The search continues for some consistant strings that will last more than five minutes.