Stick-on Pickguards.

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

B25Gib

Stick-on Pickguards.

Post by B25Gib »

......I am going to purchase some thin clear Mylar sheets, cut my own to shape and install on my new DG-250M gitane and want to know if anyone has any experience doing this.
.....The Stewart McDonald website has instructions on theirs (has some adhesive on back) either as is, or applying a wetting soultion on back, and then applying. I don't have time to order any, as I want to get it installed this weekend, before I start scratching it. The raw sheets I buy won't have any adhesive on back. Any recommendations on a non-permanent adhesive to use?
......Any website pictures available on size, shape suggestions to fit this oval hole model?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rocky
lukejazz

Post by lukejazz »

Try Here:
http://tinyurl.com/2e94z

Frets.com is great for all sorts of guitar info.

Luke
Lmntry

Post by Lmntry »

Hi B25Gib:
I installed the mylar pick material on my Gitane and on my Dell Arte.
They turned out great.
I purchased a sheet of it from Pioneer music in Portland , Oregon.

I have enough left for 2 guitars...if you want to drive to Portland...It's free for the taking. :lol:

If not....most any guitar repairman should have some on hand...I think if you make a few calls to them you'll find some...if you're lucky they'll sell you a sheet for $5-10$ If they install it it may run $20. (the quote I got)

BTW.....we have a weekly jam Saturday afternoon....

Come and get it. :wink:

David
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Call me crazy, but I kind of like seeing a guitar that's been beat up over the years...has anyone seen the D-hole closeup from the Le Jazz Hot clip on the Grappelli DVD? It's like a war journal, or Bukowski's face.
B25Gib

Post by B25Gib »

.....Thanks for the info. Good installation info on the site you linked, Luke. I checked Michael's and they had some laying around for awhile, but it was sold. I looked at some precut stuff at Ted Brown Music, but it was so very thin and wasn't big enough for me.
.....Jack, my '65 Gibson B25 acoustic has plenty of character, but It's really shown it's age the last 5 or so, and I would just as soon not have it that way. Besides, maybe there's a reason Willie Nelson plays such a rough looker, so maybe it will be more worn looking than he is!
......If I was closer to Porland, I'd take you up on the offer, David. I've got a couple jams this weekend so will have to take a rain check on yours, and get my lead work going better. I hear you guys down in Portland really rule the fretboards!

Thanks,
Rocky
anlotti

Post by anlotti »

justjack wrote:Call me crazy, but I kind of like seeing a guitar that's been beat up over the years...has anyone seen the D-hole closeup from the Le Jazz Hot clip on the Grappelli DVD? It's like a war journal, or Bukowski's face.
Absolutely. One of the best details in that wonderful clip is the state of Joseph's guitar. No signs of TLC or gear fetishism there, and it's probably not spent much time inside a case. No fancy tweaking or set-ups at some local luthier either.

I suppose you would simply shim it up as the years went by and the top sagged or cracked, then give it to a relative or leave it under a hedge for the pixies when it finally died.

. . .

FWIW, if I bought a guitar with a pickguard then fine, but I don't think I'd add one to a guitar that didn't have one.

What's the view on the damping effect on the top? It must be a teensy bit significant otherwise makers wouldn't have used floating pickguards on archtops etc. over the years.

Steve
DKP

Post by DKP »

Michael Dunn installs very thin, clear guards on his guitars. You might check with him & see what he uses. Some materials may affect the sound, but I don't see how this Belleville I am playing could be any louder, & the scratches the top would have sustained by now would probably have it looking like Willie's 'Trigger.' He builds some pretty amazing guitars.
Justin

Post by Justin »

A warning about the static-cling temporary pickguards like "Kling-On":

Don't leave them on for longer than an hour. It messes with the guitar finish, especially if you put one on a brand new guitar (like i did, by mistake)
troychapman

Post by troychapman »

I installed the pickguard myself with a very minimal amount of hassle. I got the material from Dusty Strings in Seattle for a nominal fee (free I think, or 50 cents). I cut a paper template first (I looked at guitars on Jacques M.'s site for inspiration. Quite a few luthiers put pickguards on their guitars.

I would absolutely get pickguard material that is self-adhesive.

Lay the pickguard very carefully so as to not get creases or airbubbles. Start at one corner and rub it on with a soft cloth. Go slow. You only have one shot at it.

Pickguard/No pickguard??

I think this is one of those topics that fall under "they didn't have it to use back in the day so they didn't use it" To make an aesthetic or practical judgement about it because a 50 year old Selmer doesn't have a pickguard...to each his own.

I also like the look of a beat up SelMac. But why hurry the process? It'll get there pickguard or not!
texasrockabillyrebel

Post by texasrockabillyrebel »

I like Jack's point of veiw. No more case for the gitane. :wink:
If you don't swallow it's going in your eye.
overtone

Post by overtone »

Justin wrote:A warning about the static-cling temporary pickguards like "Kling-On":

Don't leave them on for longer than an hour. It messes with the guitar finish, especially if you put one on a brand new guitar (like i did, by mistake)

VINYL IS YOUR ENEMY! sounds like this kling-on stuff is made of vinyl.

nitrocellulose or laquer finishes react when in contact with vinyl, it jsut eats through the stuff. so always know what kind of finish you have even before putting it on a guitar stand...the rubber parts will dissolve laquer. other things with vinyl in them...the outer denier of gig bags and some guitar strap are made of vinyl. (info from frets.com)

check with your manufacturer to find out what kind of finish your guitar has. Gitanes for example have a polyeurathane finish which is pretty non-reactive with anything...except laquer.