Stephane's violin?

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

polkat

Stephane's violin?

Post by polkat »

This has been asked before without a response, but does anyone know the type of violin Stephane preferred? I'm sure that early on, like most of us, he played whatever he could get his hands on. But later on, after he had become somewhat established, he must have preferred certain types (or a loved single instrument). One observer of the DVD says it looked like an old Italian style.

Any guesses?
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

Stradivarius
polkat

Post by polkat »

Hummm...he did pretty well later in life, but could he have afforded one?
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

Supposedly Stephane was really cheap, and used cheap violins so that he wouldn't have to worry about them on the gig and travelling. For the last decade or so he used two, one was made by American jazz guitar builder Benedetto, this is the one in the museum. Not sure what the other one was, but it was most definitely not a Strad - way too expensive and valuable.
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

According to Paul Balmer's book on SG he reports that in the 70's Stephanne's agent told him to invest his newly found wealth in a (very)good violin. He therfore bought a 1742 Gagliano from E. Vateot in Paris replacing his previous good quality violins (but not in the Stradivarius or Amati quality bracket).
SG also had on loan Michel Warlop's Pierre Hel violin that he eventually passed on Jean-Luc Ponty and later Dieier Lockwood.
It's all in the book.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I'm afraid my unsubstantiated claim carries more weight than your "facts" because I have more posts than all of you combined.
TedGottsegen

Post by TedGottsegen »

nwilkins wrote:I'm afraid my unsubstantiated claim carries more weight than your "facts" because I have more posts than all of you combined.
True, or tells us that you spend more time posting than playing :twisted:
I'm Kidding, I'm Kidding!

:oops: Sorry Nick! It was just sitting out there, perfect composed waiting for me to pounce on. I kid because I love. :lol:
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I had fully anticipated that retort :D
polkat

Post by polkat »

Okay, so we know that he played a Gagliano (there were three Gagliano family members making violins in 1742), and at some point played a Benedetto and a Pierre Hel as well. During this time can we assume he preferred th Gagliano...or?

Also has anyone ever mentioned the strings he preferred with these instruments?
Last edited by polkat on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

I believe he used violin strings, but maybe Ted can correct me on that? :wink: