the repetitive "super lick"

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

djangology

the repetitive "super lick"

Post by djangology »

I was watching the Samois 2002 video again, and there is a scene about 30 minutes into tape #2 where stochelo is playing with some other guys outside the back of a van.

In this scene there was a guy sitting and facing directly at the camera and he was playing really really fast, but it was the same repetitive pattern near the top of the neck. 50-80% of his solo seemed to be merely this tiny little lick being repeated over and over.

I was wondering, if anyone knows what I am talking about, and if there exists a transcription of that lick anywhere? Stochelo was using the same lick quite a bit, although not as much.
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

That would be Paulo Schaeffer (spelling??)
Though I'd have to get it out again to see what you mean.
Cabo was there any ideas Cabb
By the way Stochelo was playing my guitar there. I can't get it to sound like that, any ideas?
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Yep! I know exactly which lick you're talking about, it's a big fave with the gypsies, I use it myself...often. It's the reverse triplet thingy right? Also used in conjunction with the classic Rosenberg descending minor arpeggio thingy up on the 12th fret. If I remember correctly , I had a whole bunch of the guys practising that one at Samois and none of 'em pegged it because of the picking . Never mind.
djangology

Post by djangology »

hey Cab, can you post some tab that explains this lick either partially or entirely? or can you explain in words so that i can figure it out with your hints? or can you send it to me privately? i really want to learn this one and I dread going through the work of recording it, slowing it down, figuring it out, etc... it would take me at least 1-2 hours of work, but I fear that if I tried, I would come up with something that was incorrect...
Plowboy

"...sound like that."

Post by Plowboy »

Zoot,
Try a heavy pick--preferably one soaked in vinegar.
Beer and cigs seem to help too.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

Djang,
The lick in question is pretty easy to work out just a tad difficult to execute at tempo, in fact, cuz it's a bog standard riff or 'filler' it's musicality would probably be in question. But, hey, who cares? sounds meaty eh? ok, say you're playing in g , up on the 9th fret, d string you got B down to A (7th fret) play B Bb A then move upwards /across etc always 3 in a row.

Plowboy,
You've sussed the secret! :lol:
djangology

Post by djangology »

it sounds like your basically describing playing triplets along the leading edge of a basic diminished run with the triplet consisting of the note in the leading edge of the diminished scale along with the note above it and the note below it. am i close? i will play around with as many different combinations of what you describe as I can think of, and hopefully I'll get it. thanks a lot though, i really appreciate your answer, even though it is cryptic. also, hopefully i haven't pissed anyone off because i asked about one of the gypsy "secrets".
Zoot
Site Admin

Post by Zoot »

djangology wrote:hopefully i haven't pissed anyone off because i asked about one of the gypsy "secrets".
We'll let you know if you piss anyone off. Please continue to dig.
djangology

Post by djangology »

alright... this british sense of humor is a little hard to get used to but I am getting better at recognizing it i think...
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

djangology wrote:it sounds like your basically describing playing triplets along the leading edge of a basic diminished run with the triplet consisting of the note in the leading edge of the diminished scale along with the note above it and the note below it. am i close? i will play around with as many different combinations of what you describe as I can think of, and hopefully I'll get it. thanks a lot though, i really appreciate your answer, even though it is cryptic. also, hopefully i haven't pissed anyone off because i asked about one of the gypsy "secrets".
umm??!!! If you say so. I sort of don't look at it like that, I figuered it as just a 'device' thats characteristic to gypsy style, in theory it'll fit over
anything depending on key/chords etc, I really didn't mean for my answer to come across as cryptic(?) I'm a simple person at heart. :roll:
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Caballero wrote:I'm a simple person at heart. :roll:
...........and in the head? :roll:
djangology

Post by djangology »

i was wrong when i posted this message initially, i think i saw the "super lick" at the end of the first tape of the Samois 2002 tape set...
Rene

Post by Rene »

I could have sworn this lick was in the "playing" section of the site. In tab.
djangology

Post by djangology »

well, i still haven't had a chance to sit down with the video and figure it out. i did look around and i didn't find any evidence that someone had already written out notation for this lick... i will sit down with the video sometime soon and take a closer look but i don't expect that I will figure it out correctly...

the clip is on the first video right after the Pearl Django portion... i cant identify the tune but its the first song they play as soon as it switches from Pearl Django...
Last edited by djangology on Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Primus

Samois Video

Post by Jan Primus »

Where can I get the video?