the repetitive "super lick"

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

Verchacho

Samois Video

Post by Verchacho »

I was gonna ask the same thing
djangology

Post by djangology »

i was trying to figure out what Cab was explaining in his answer to this original post and this is what I came up with but I still need to actually sit down with my guitar and try it. my guess is that i will need to somehow pick out the correct picking pattern and i guess i will use the Horowitz book as a guide.

i am guessing that this is basically a whole tone scale with passing notes. my guess is that the passing notes are upstrokes and all the scale notes are downstrokes... i want to try to figure out this lick, but for now i am going to start with this basic idea:

Code: Select all

-------------------------------------9-8-7-------------------------
------------------------------10-9-8-------10-9-8-----------------
----------------------10-9-8----------------------10-9-8---------
---------------9-8-7-------------------------------------9-8-7--
--------8-7-6------------------------------------------------------
-7-6-5------------------------------------------------------------
BluesBopHarry

Post by BluesBopHarry »

Hi, I haven´t seen the video in question yet, so I don´t know what lick you´re talking about, but anyway here are a couple of cool licks that fit the gypsy style and are fun to play, hope you like them:
Say the second guitar is playing a D9 chord:

D9
------
--5---
--5---
--4---
--5---
-(5)--
You can play this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--765---------------------------------------765----------------------345--
------765------------or this:----------765------or-this:--------345------etc.
----------654----------------------654-----------------------234----------
--------------765--------------765-----------------------345--------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idea is to play two chromatic aproach notes to each note of the arppegio or chord form, you can also do this using a higher form than the rythmn guitar like this for example:

D9
--12--
--13--
--11--
--12--
-------
-------
A similar concept, often used by Django, is to play double aproach notes chromatic or diatonic, one above and one below the chord tones like this:
G6
--------------------6343-------
--------------7545-------------
--------5434-------------------
--7545-------------------------
---------------------------------
---------------------------------
The cool thing about this ideas is that you can use them with all the apppegio forms you know and they always match the harmony.
For a more "outside" flavor move the first 3 or 4 notes chromatically or just across the strings like Caballero said, it is also cool to move chromatically up a couple of times then back, a bebop concept.
Hope you like this stuff even if it´s not the lick you wanted.
Harry.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

wow - it is so strange to see threads revived after almost two years
djangology

Post by djangology »

well, somewhere in that 2 year time frame I did end up getting an answer to my question which started this thread... its something I can only show in person because it takes about 30 minutes to explain...
stublag

Post by stublag »

djangology wrote:i was trying to figure out what Cab was explaining in his answer to this original post and this is what I came up with but I still need to actually sit down with my guitar and try it. my guess is that i will need to somehow pick out the correct picking pattern and i guess i will use the Horowitz book as a guide.

i am guessing that this is basically a whole tone scale with passing notes. my guess is that the passing notes are upstrokes and all the scale notes are downstrokes... i want to try to figure out this lick, but for now i am going to start with this basic idea:

Code: Select all

-------------------------------------9-8-7-------------------------
------------------------------10-9-8-------10-9-8-----------------
----------------------10-9-8----------------------10-9-8---------
---------------9-8-7-------------------------------------9-8-7--
--------8-7-6------------------------------------------------------
-7-6-5------------------------------------------------------------
The picking pattern is down up down--thats what the gypsies use anyway.
stu
kcox

Post by kcox »

Would you consider that to be based on the diminished arpeggio or the whole tone scale? Sorry if that's a ridiculous question, but I'm theory disabled.

K
c'est chaud!!!!!!!
woodyhonkin

Post by woodyhonkin »

Great Thread ---- no matter how old...

thanks to all of you for putting what you know out there - so newbies can get it.... even if we have been playing 45 yrs... new stuff is always good!!
djangology

Post by djangology »

well, it turns out that the answer to this question of how to play non-stop super fast is answered in Stephane Wrembels book simply by mastering all of his approach patterns...

all that stuff I posted above is a bunch of guessing... I never did get half an answer from anyone.
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

actually there's one little secret that doesn't seem to be covered in any django method books (then again i haven't really looked at any so i may be mistaken)... and that is the use of pull offs and hammer ons... a lot of the top players (especially the dutch) use pull offs to play even faster and get better articulation

in the

e- 7 6 5
b -----------7 6 5

example

the picking would be D U D D pull-off U
Manouche

Post by Manouche »

I have finally got round to editing together my footage and Keith( the teeth)'s from the session originally referred to in this post. So far I have done China Boy & Djangos Tiger with Rose room, Sheik of Araby etc to follow here:
http://www.manouche.co.uk/Samois.htm
It is nice to see Mary H enjoying her penultimate time at Samereau. BTW does anyone know the literal meaning of "aches" obviously a Rom word of encouragement/appreciation much in evidence here?
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

you mean latches? it means well done.... latcho alone means good...

if you eat good food, and they ask you how it is, you can say " latcho"

btw thanks very much for the videos
djangology

Post by djangology »

China Boy & Djangos Tiger with Rose room, Sheik of Araby etc to follow here:
http://www.manouche.co.uk/Samois.htm
thanks for posting this. are you planning to post another one? that China Boy track is exactly the one I was talking about when I started this thread. I don't remember the names of the guys playing with Stochelo in that video though...

also, on one of those Samois vids somewhere there is a guy playing the most incredible solo version of "Hot HOuse" that I have ever heard... i wish i could remember which tape it was on...
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

are you referring to mozes rosenberg from samois 2003?
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

btw that's paulus schafer, and i can't make out the guy on the right because of the angle, but it could either be one of stochelo's brothers or paulus' cousin Sendelo

and of course, the guy facing away from the camera is a wonderful british guitar player whose name i forget!