Homespuntapes.com's PICK POWER by Paul Mehling

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

cube_monkey

Homespuntapes.com's PICK POWER by Paul Mehling

Post by cube_monkey »

Hi, I am a newbie to Gypsy Jazz and had a question (yet another!) about
instructional material, in regard to technique.

People rave about the Gypsy Picking book. I was wondering if a DVD
(like the new Pick Power by Paul Mehling) would be better since you can
see the person showing you. Its not out yet, but you can see snippets of it on www.homespuntapes.com. I want to order the book, or that Gypsy guitar Secrets...or the DVD...or if you folks have better recommendations.

This is a fantastic site! I even feel ok that I suck at guitar after reading the
"So you want to be Lindford Christie" article.. It also has made me realize the "getting there" is more than half the fun!

Thanks!
Jay
frater

Post by frater »

I took a look at the sneak preview of Pick Power... my two cents: stick with the Gypsy Picking book and, if you want to see how that work on video, buy Bireli's "Jazz a Vienne" DVD.
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
cube_monkey

Post by cube_monkey »

THank you...as i read more and more of the forum, I am leaning toward
the book, and I will take a look at that dvd.
Thanks for your response.

Jay
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Definitely grab the dvd-it's great for any and all reasons. In the meantime you can find lots of videos online via google video or youtube that will show some good examples of what's come to be known as gypsy picking...if you search the forum (and also the forum at djangobooks.com) you'll find many links that people have posted over the last few months.

Best,
Jack.
chandler_lewis

Post by chandler_lewis »

Funny thing about Pick Power by Paul Mehling, I ordered it weeks ago from http://www.homespuntapes.com and it took so long to arrive (8 weeks!), I complained and they sent me another - which only took 4 days! What the hell are UK Customs & Excise playing at?

So I ended up with two, and I just can't bring myself to sell the second copy because it isn't really mine. And I feel bad for giving homespun a really hard time!

So I'm going to give it away to some needy person.

First "newbie" to PM me with their address gets it!

Sorry - UK addresses only, please.
FSUGypsyJazz

Post by FSUGypsyJazz »

I don't know how good the dvd will be (personally I will go with the buy Michael's book people) but the Dell Arte Di Mauro copy he is playing looks FUCKING FLY!!!!!!
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
patrick.n

Post by patrick.n »

I just can't get past the cheesy grin he has. I can't take him seriously.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Just to be clear...when I said 'grab the dvd', I meant the Bireli...

Best,
Jack.
chandler_lewis

Post by chandler_lewis »

We have a taker - the DVD's gone!

In my opinion, get both! But if you can afford only one, get the Bireli DVD. Just watching him play will teach you far more about the gypsy style than Paul Mehling's DVD.

But I don't find Paul's approach cheesy, just layed back. This is a 90 minute DVD and he covers a huge range of topics. It's just nice to have someone explain these things and show you how, and if you don't understand, you can just play it again and again until you get it.

This isn't specifically a GJ DVD. It purposely designed to have a broader audience and overall, it's money well spent.