agressive rhythm

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

RayIan

agressive rhythm

Post by RayIan »

I was jamming with a guy the other day and he seemed to think that I should be playing rhythm much more agressively and much louder. I don't know, I just play the way I play.

So do you guys try to play very loud and agressive or what?
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Two different things, here. For me, it tends toward aggressive without being too loud. You always want the crispness and the attack, but your volume level should follow that of the soloist; you should be quieter than he is.
nwilkins

Post by nwilkins »

yeah - one thing you notice about going to Samois - all of the good players play surprisingly quietly, but still with great authority and "crispness", as Jack put it. Most of the people I have played with in N America play rhythm too loudly (and wrong in other respects, but that's a different story).
devinci

Post by devinci »

Ryhthm should be light, the drive and crisp precussive swing should be achived without hitting the guitar with all ones might. Angelo Debarre recently told me, down the Quecumbar, you get to meet people like him down there, that he doesn't really like big jam sessions that much because the ryhthm often gets too loud. The art of the rythem guitar is to sound full whilst remaining quite enough to allow the lead guitar to comforably play and be heard. Yeh.
Djazz Nomad

Post by Djazz Nomad »

Rhythm should always be an accompaniament, driving but lightly played. I'd go as far to say there's no place for aggession of any sort in this music; passion, yes. 8)
RICK-D15

Post by RICK-D15 »

I've found with my Gitane that the softer I hit the chords the more color/texture I cvan get out of them them. If I hit them very hard it sounds harsh. It definately is a balancing act, trying to play soft but also being crisp and driving.
"It's all one big note" - Frank Zappa