chord finder

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

boral

chord finder

Post by boral »

I have this xerox for many years but only now I begin to use it more and to understand its value. It was taken from an old Brazilian book (don't know the name - I hope there is no copyright)
If you know how a chord is built, it gives you the position of the major and minor 3rd, the 5th 7 and 7 major etc in relation to the root being in the 6th, 5th, 4th or 3rd string. It is good to find the inversions too.
It is not based on the notes but on the degrees of the scale. For instance: try to find the different ways to build a major 6/9 chord.(the black dots = Root)
I create a folder named chord builder in the Yahoo group: gypsyjazzguitartechniqueandequipment . Inside there is a excel document with the first two charts : http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/gy ... ent/files/

I hope you find it useful
Any comments?
djangology

Post by djangology »

I am willing to bet that 90% of us should (and probably already do) have that sheet memorized and committed to memory.
boral

Post by boral »

Remenber...No question too silly
lukejazz

Post by lukejazz »

Thanks Boral - I've never seen one of those - it will help me greatly in my teaching. I've got some students working on arpeggios now - Perfect-o!
boral

Post by boral »

Hello,
I've posted 3 more charts showing the intervals on the fretboard with the root beeing on the 4th, 3rd and 2nd string.
Later I will post one chart that includes all the others; this is not possible to do in an excel doc. I think I will try with publisher.
weelie

Post by weelie »

I think the most useful chord thingy is the Only Complete. It's a book that comes with a credit sized card that helps you make any chord (similarly to the xls-sheet above). I have the card affixed to the side of one of my guitars (never read the book, btw, it's not really needed). Not that I look at it often, but it's still nice to have.

There was a similar kinda thingy on the net before, printed it out, but the site is down now... I can scan it for any regulars here PM'ing me their interest in a copy.