Should I play only Gypsy Jazz

Welcome to the Hotclub Forum

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

edan13390

Should I play only Gypsy Jazz

Post by edan13390 »

Well, today was my first day of school. :cry:
In my school in Israel we have different art departments since I am in the school for arts. I am in music department.
So these whole two months I have been playing only gypsy jazz and have absolutely fallen in love with the style. I have never felt this way about any kind of music. Before I was introduced to gypsy jazz I listen mainly to Wes Montgomery and some be bop guitarists. So anyway today in school my music teacher handed out some standards and latin stuff to and my schoolmates, and that is where my problem is. I kind of want to play only Gypsy jazz since it is the only music I enjoy playing, and music is mainly having fun while playing and not having a horrible time while playing. So what do you think? Should I follow my heart. Something tells me this is what I want to do in the future--GYPSY JAZZ!!!
any suggestions? Is this normal?
Edan
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

i think you should follow your heart, and perhaps you should consider leaving israel for sometime and moving to europe... you can live in ghent and study with fapy for a year or two....

i hear that jazz is really strong in israel... lots of israelis go to the US to learn and gain experience and go back to Israel to make the music grow...

you should perhaps do the same if you can find the means
Rich

Post by Rich »

How does studying with fapy work? does he run lessons or something?
edan13390

Post by edan13390 »

Actually I have thought of it. The only problem is that I am only 15 years old. I have 3 more years of school. But I have seriously thought about it as much as I can at my age. Its like a dream to me to move to europe and really live the music.
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

fapy does not give gypsy jazz lessons, he gives music / guitar lessons. He's such an amazing teacher, and i believe you benefit most from him if you stay at least a few months with him, unfortunately at the moment that is not possible for me.... i only stayed with him for short periods of times (i've gone twice so far, once in 2004 and another time last june right before samois)....

you can get more info on his webpage... www.hotclub.nl he designed it himself!

anyway edan, since you have 3 more years of school, use that time to work on your ears and timing.... try to learn from records and videos and whatnot then when you graduate from school, go to europe... spend a few yrs there, and go back home to israel or something...
Rich

Post by Rich »

I've never seen that site before..

So you actually go and stay with fapy? how much does it cost roughly?

I'd be interested in doing something like this.. though i'm not sure if I qualify as an "advanced" jazz guitarist. Though I feel I have the physical technique now to learn start learning fairly well.

I'd be interested to hear anyones experience with fapy.. I've seen him play live and he is amazing.
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

you don't stay with him, you stay nearby...

anyway, fapy has a reputation of being very rough... i know that it has discouraged a lot of students ... and he is highly opinionated... i don't think he d be popular if he posted anonymously on message boards!!

but i think it's great that he's totally not PC.... he totally whips you into shape.... kinda like bruce wayne in that new batman movie, where he gets his ass kicked around til he becomes strong...

email him for all the info u need.
boral

Post by boral »

Hello,

Just by curiosity, do you know of some sample (mp3)of him playing the the Portugese 12-string guitarra.
In the photos it seems that he is playing with a pick. Does someone knows if he uses the tradicional tuning and if he plays with thumb and index false nails?

thanks
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

he plays with a pick, i dont have any mp3s, but he has made numerous recordings featuring the instrument .

i don't know the tuning of the instrument so i couldn't tell you
SwingOpi

Post by SwingOpi »

Tach,

the »Guitarra Potuguesa« is tuned (lowest to highest):

d-d' , a-a' , b-b' , e'-e' , a'-a' , b'-b'

I can send you a sample of the sounding of the Guitarra de Fado.
gipsydirtstache

Re: Should I play only Gypsy Jazz

Post by gipsydirtstache »

edan13390 wrote:Well, today was my first day of school. :cry:
Me too! umm - it's cool that there are younger manouche enthusiasts on the board. I had figured that you was all annnncient(:P).

I try and play our fair genre as exclusively as possible, but its pretty hard considering - well, no one's really interested. Which sucks. I've stuck to playing as much as I can(with whomever) and slyly fitting in as much django as possible. I'm the pink fucking panther!
devinci

Post by devinci »

I would play all the stuff scholl has to give you but try doing it with gypsy picking technique and with a gypsy/django feel perhaps, listen to Boulou Ferre or Bireli Lagrene playing straight ahead jazz or Stockelo Rosenberg playing latin things for inspiration. You are young enough to play it all.