Alyward Guitars Offer

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Caballero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

:lol: don't worry, he's probably just opening the tool box to get started. I think y'all be pleased on result, but hey....its a snailwood!
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Cab's not wrong about the quality of the end product.

After a gig I was chatting to a guy that does the post sales tweaking/set up work for Martin in the UK. I mentioned I'd got an Aylward and he went into raptures about the build/finish quality of Rob's work. This from a guy who works on top end Martins.

Btw from memory I waited 18 months.
Djangoslefthandman

Postby Rene » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm not too worried. He'll come through. I've still got a restoration/repair on a turn of the last century classical guitar with another luthier. 3 years and counting...
Rene

Postby Gadjo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:06 pm

A parcel force van arrived today with a big box. Inside was an Aylward maccaferri styled flamenco guitar!!!!!!
Bloody hell!! We leave for Samois tomorrow so you'll never guess what I'll be bringing out.
Well woth the wait I can assure you. Ten days of continual playing should open it up somewhat I suspect.
Gadjo

Postby Rene » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm

How long did you have to wait?
Rene

Postby Gadjo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Sorry for delay in responding Rene but both me and guitar were in France. Rob took my deposit just over a year ago and completed it just before I left for Samois.

I didn't like some things (we agreed from the outset it was an experiment) so he has taken it straight back this week and is fixing it up differently for me and adding some electrics. It should be back in a couple of weeks in time for a return to France. He is now building another similar one with different bracing and will ship me that also to see which I prefer. Basically we are having some fun trying to get the ultimate nylon strung Macc. He probably guesses I will buy them both.

While I was in Samois I played all the pieces and have to say Rob's work is cleaner than any of them. I paid next to nothing for my guitar considering what Dupont and Hahl want for a similar nylon strung model.

He may be slow but he is bloody good!

BTW I was highly impressed by the sound of Geronimo Mateos' nylon strung Macc guitars. It must be in his (Spanish) blood. Build quality was a little rough and ready however for £2000 - and compared to Rob. The sound was slightly better than the Hahl costing over three times as much.

Changing the subject I can't stop listening to 1910 from the Doigts de l'Hommes. They nailed it for me - their standing ovation was well deserved! Listening to the Rosenbergs (the Djangoligists) coming home in the car alongside 1910 showed me how far the Doigts have progressed this music - their interpretation of Indifference compared to TRT's says it all. Sublime.

Best Samois for many, many years IMHO.
Gadjo

Postby Rene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Well, after something like 27 months, it finally arrived. Finishing and build quality is superb, and it's opening up nicely. A luthier friend was particularly complimentary about the workmanship.
Last edited by Rene on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rene

Postby Gadjo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

I think the 9/10 could read September 2010. Mine has 06/10 and came last June.
Gadjo

Postby Caballero » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Rene wrote:Well, after something like 27 months,

Ha ! favouritism. :)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby westcountry1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I 'm waiting for one but haven't heard anything i'm pleased people are eventually receiving them and Mr Aylward hasn't been abducted by aliens.
westcountry1

Postby Rene » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:21 pm

I think the last guitar I had off him - a 14 fret D hole monster - took 18 months start to finish. So he's definitely getting slower. But, hey, he's an artist!
Last edited by Rene on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rene

Re: Alyward Guitars Offer

Postby John Wheatcroft » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:37 am

Hi All,

I've recently got hold of my second guitar from Rob (after I cracked the top of my first in three places by leaving in in the band-room of a West-End show for a week, and then discovering this is where the heating for the whole building comes from. I effectively kiln baked the guitar, but Rob saved it, and it's actually sounding better than ever).... It took a while, but I reckon well worth the wait... If you're desperate to get hold of your guitar, then Rob's not the quickest, but he's an amazing builder, and his guitars sound incredible... Plus, if and when you need to service your instrument, as I have had to do several times (as after 10 years with the first one, the bloody tailpiece cracked and snapped off mid session!!!), he'll go above and beyond to put it right and you'll never know there was a problem!!! He's got my new one back at the moment for a set-up, after things have settled over the winter, and not a peep of complaint from him, and I'm a right fussy sod who wants things a certain way or can not rest, so he has patience and really cares about what the player thinks...

Essentially, he's into the music, makes amazing guitars, and wants those that play them to be happy, so he'll accommodate... I've found him to be most helpful... Okay, he's not the fastest to move on things, but neither am I in certain respects.. I've basically submitted articles for numerous publications over the last decade that have received great feedback, and every one has been submitted at least a couple of weeks late, which in publishing terms is an eternity... Better good and late, than early and bad I reckon...

Anyway, just my thoughts, and I'm obviously biased as I'm a fan!

John
John Wheatcroft

Re: Alyward Guitars Offer

Postby westcountry1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Don't suppose anyone knows if Rob has changed his e-mail address I have tried to contact him a couple of time but haven't had any success.
westcountry1

Previous

Return to Luthiers