Tuning in Fourths

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

Tuning in Fourths

Postby Shawn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:47 pm

Just a thought or rather a question (I can't seem to find an answer on the web anywhere)...

How would one tune a violin in Fourths like a guitar without putting to much tension on the strings or too little tension? I have always tuned my violins in standard Fifths GDAE, so maybe trying something like ADGC would be in Fourths...is this correct?

I basically want to see if guitar fingerings can work on a violin with a different tuning, and also to explore some different sounds.
Shawn

Re: Tuning in Fourths

Postby clausci » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Shawn wrote:Just a thought or rather a question (I can't seem to find an answer on the web anywhere)...

How would one tune a violin in Fourths like a guitar without putting to much tension on the strings or too little tension? I have always tuned my violins in standard Fifths GDAE, so maybe trying something like ADGC would be in Fourths...is this correct?

I basically want to see if guitar fingerings can work on a violin with a different tuning, and also to explore some different sounds.

interesting, to be really "guitaristic" you may do ADGB cause the guitar do this third jump entre SOL -SI and then another fourth -MI.
the tension with ADGB i think can be done, i think with for ex DGBE can cause some problems on the lower...i m not an expert anyway..so we wait for another answer.
Claudio
clausci

Postby BluesBopHarry » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:22 pm

Im not an expert either but you might try:
F-Bb-D-G to get the first four strings like a guitar as clausci said.

And you can try different string gauges to get the right tension.
BluesBopHarry

Return to Gypsy Jazz Violin