di Mauro Guitars

Makers of Gypsy Jazz guitars

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

di Mauro Guitars

Postby Swing This! » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:26 pm

What do people know about these guitars, anyone have one? Jacques Mazzoleni currently has a few of these guitars for sale, one is from 1950s

http://www.gypsyguitars.com/makers.php?id=24&status_id=

Seems that $4,500 is not a bad price for a 50 year old guitar, but what are they really like?

cheers

Phil
Swing This!

Postby radiotone » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:34 pm

If I remember what Jacques told me a year ago correctly, DiMauros were much more affordable than Busatos and Favinos in the era after Selmer ended guitar production. I think the shop was trying to meet the demand in the lower end of the market, and the guitars were not as carefully made as those of the competition. Hence, they are relatively more affordable as vintage instruments. Methinks the market for them today might be more about the collectability than the playability, but I've never played one so I'm just guessing here.

Neil

Edit: I stand corrected on the tone of DiMauros. Thanks, Mr. Wilkins. Also, I was misspelling Di Mauro as Di Maurio

n
Last edited by radiotone on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
radiotone

Postby nwilkins » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:48 am

Di Mauros were indeed more cheaply made, but they have a great sound. So I think it is more about tone than collectibility. Although obviously some of them are probably not that great tone wise. I have heard that the heart shaped soundhole Di Mauros are killer tone wise - the inflated price of that particular model is however due both to its rarity and to the practice of the vendor.
nwilkins

Postby frater » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:37 am

$ 4500 for a Di Mauro is simply insane ...
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby Swing This! » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Well. thanks for the reply...I appreciate it, before I dish out my hard earned cash. So, what in your opinions, would be a reasonable price for a 1950s DiMauro as listed?

What about the Anastasio guitar that's been on Jacques site for ages? How come that's not moving?

cheers

Phil
Swing This!

Postby TedGottsegen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi Phil,

Swing This! wrote:Well. thanks for the reply...I appreciate it, before I dish out my hard earned cash. So, what in your opinions, would be a reasonable price for a 1950s DiMauro as listed?

While I agree that that price is pretty high for a Di Mauro, it is from the 1950's, and those are fairly hard to come by because they sound (at least the ones I've played) so good. They have that sound - much better than a Gallato (which in my opinion are too bright and don't come close to cutting it) and very close to (in some cases better than) a Selmer or a Busato. The sound is warm, very dry, but bright. They just don't build 'em like this anymore. I've played one guitar just like that one (they might even be the same guitar) and loved it. When used with a Stimer/tube amp, it gets this warm, distorted, early rock n' roll sound which is great. So, if you want a great, traditional sound it's worth the price of admission. The prices will go nowhere but up from here, anyway.

My suggestion for you, if your'e serious about this instrument, is to buy it and make sure it's delivered on a Friday so you have the weekend to play it at your home. If on Monday you don't like it, send it back for a refund (less shipping). Losing $100. in shipping is a perfectly reasonble price to pay for buying a great vintage guitar.

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby frater » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:31 pm

Yeah, getting down to the nitty gritty, it'all about playing the darn guitar and deciding if you can live without it. I agree it could also be a good investment considering people are going nuts for vintage French GJ guitars(expecially people from Japan!) so prices ar going up and up.
Personally, for that sum I 'd rather have a guitar built special for me from some fine contemporary luther but, boys, I'm such a strange fella!
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby nwilkins » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:03 am

yeah Frater - this type of guitar is better than the normal Di Mauros tone wise, and as I said it is quite rare, so it's not as insane as you might think.
nwilkins

Postby frater » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm

O.K., I'll buy it! :D

Just yesterday they were selling a 1950 D hole Di Mauro on ebay for 900 euro. No offers. Damn, I missed it! But D hole are probably more easily found, I've seen some actually...
frater

Re: di Mauro Guitars

Postby radiotone » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Swing This! wrote:What do people know about these guitars, anyone have one? Jacques Mazzoleni currently has a few of these guitars for sale, one is from 1950s

Okay, looking at Jacques' site a little closer, I find this about a previously sold heart-shaped soundhole Joseph Di Mauro guitar:

"....a super rare instrument...to start, Joseph di Mauro is not to be confused with Antoine's son.. this is Antoine's brother.. he worked on his own and his guitars are quite rare..initially, I thought his name was Francois..Michael Dregni pointed out the confusion, i called Joseph's daughter, and she confirmed her uncle's name was Joseph..."

So am I right in surmising that:

1.)It is Antoine di Mauro's shop is the one that cranked out the Selmeroids in volume for the lower end of the market (and there is also Antoine the younger--right?--to further confuse the issue) and...

2.) That Joseph (Antoine's brother) was independent of Antoine, and thus Joseph's guitars really need to be considered completely apart from the more common di Mauros of the Antoines' (elder and younger) shop?

Not that I'm in the market for any type of Di Mauro in the first place :)
It's probably all in Francois Charle's book, which I missed out on when it was available.

Neil
radiotone

Postby nwilkins » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 am

yes the common DiMauro name comes from Antoine, who was succeeded by son Joseph. The other Joseph DiMauro was Antoine's brother. I don't know if the guitars should be considered separately since don't think there are enough of Joseph the elder's guitars left to generalize about his work.

Frater - the type of D hole DiMauro you are talking about is a much different guitar - 900 Euros is not a bad price - they are nice little guitars for playing rhythm on.
nwilkins

Postby radiotone » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:47 pm

nwilkins wrote:yes the common DiMauro name comes from Antoine, who was succeeded by son Joseph. The other Joseph DiMauro was Antoine's brother. I don't know if the guitars should be considered separately since don't think there are enough of Joseph the elder's guitars left to generalize about his work.

Frater - the type of D hole DiMauro you are talking about is a much different guitar - 900 Euros is not a bad price - they are nice little guitars for playing rhythm on.

Oh, right, Joseph is Antoine's son - no "Antoine Jr."

I take your point about scarcity making generalizations difficult. My further thoughts are:

The elder Joseph is behind the heart-shaped soundhole Di Mauros that this thread is considering, right? So there are at least a handful of reports that "Uncle Joe's" boxes are something special -- you say you've heard this from someone in the know, and Ted (if he's talking about this same model) says they are great, and Jacque M (granted, he has a business interest in the discussion) also speaks highly of them.

Again, I know only what I've read online, so I'm just making the equivalent of armchair arguments (keyboard arguments?). I guess old rare French guitars are just fun to speculate about.
radiotone

Di Mauro Heart shape soundhole - Original pieces and case !!

Postby dominik » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 am

I have a original Di Mauro guitar with original tuners, bridge and tailpiece. The guitar is in perfect condition no cracks, one superficial dig on it. The guitar is in my family for about 60-70 years. It also comes with it's original case !!!

The guitar for sale at gypsyjazzguitars.com is the same but that one has no original piece on it and it's without the original case.
http://www.gypsyguitars.com/makers.php?id=24&status_id=

My guitar has everything + the case.

Difficult to price it. Only interesting offers will be consider.

Images coming soon !
dominik

Di Mauro

Postby crookedpinky » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:25 am

If you're in France or Europe what about this place for Di Mauros - or other makes as well

A bit cheaper than elsewhere

http://www.guitare-village.com/occasion/jazz/jazz.php

Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Re: di Mauro Guitars

Postby Neil Frost » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi . I'm a retired engineer who now spends his time doing a proper job - building Selmer Maccaferri type guitars. I've had excellent results with D Holes but dislike the small hole design. The workshop were probably trying hard to calm down the sound to get nearer to the archtop which was king at the time. The Di Mauro design used a normal size hole and reaped the benefits of more volume and a more resonant instrument not to mention the improved access for repair work etc. I've just finished a Di Mauro and it's a monster. If anyone would like me to make one or hear this one give me a shout on facebook where some pictures are posted.

Neil Frost
Neil Frost

Return to Luthiers