Len Lewis

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Len Lewis

Postby Phydeaux3 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:58 pm

Ok. This is a little self indulgent.
Len Lewis was my father who died on 15th June at the age of 83.
He wasn't anyone famous and was only known to a very small handful of users of this site.
Dad taught me to play guitar when I was seven. He introduced me mainly to Django but also other Jazz musicians, Instrument players and vocalist alike.
He was virtually self-taught and his knowledge of chords and their inversions and substitutions was incredible. His favourite style of playing was in chord melody and he had written by hand nearly 200 of the jazz classics tunes in this form.
I will always remember playing snooker or billiards in our front room whilst listening to Django and Stephane. This is where I get my passion for this music although it took over 30 years to realise it.
He visited the two Gossington festivals and always wandered about listening in to any jam sessions that were on the go. I would like to thank anyone who entertained and found the time to speak to him.
I can only aspire to his knowledge and love of the guitar and I cannot thank him enough for the gift he has given me.
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Len Lewis

Postby O.K. YAR » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:24 am

Sorry to hear the news Phydeaux. There is nothing self indulgent about your post - just a fitting tribute to a man you admired.

I can put a name to your Avatar now. We met in Goss a couple of years back. Old Reg and I spoke at length to your Dad throughout the festival, and again last year. I was not aware he played the guitar. I know he was pleased you were making inroads into the Django style and remember him telling us that you needed to listen more - seeing you again last year I think you've taken his advice.

I enjoyed chatting to your Dad and although the meetings were brief I thought I got to know him and found him a really nice guy.

I hope you and your family are coming to terms with the loss and perhaps we'll see you soon.

Best regards,

OKY
I'VE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH ME POEMS IN...............
O.K. YAR

Phydad1

Postby Jan Primus » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:55 pm

Phydeaux3, I am sorry for your loss. What a great tribute to a man that gave you such a gift. Good job lad, I am sure he is proud of you.

Chad
Jan Primus

Postby Shepoid » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:47 pm

Phydeaux3:
I concur with the above.
May I extend my deepest condolences to you and your family in your loss.
And with all respect, to your father who raised such a fine person like yourself.
Keep it swingin'!
Shepoid

Postby justjack » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:33 am

You were a lucky pair, it seems, to have had each other...hope you're well; I'm sure he's glad you're carrying the torch.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Phydeaux3 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:57 pm

Thanks all!
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Re: Len Lewis

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:33 am

Hi

I never met Len Lewis but I live near Leeds where he taught music in the 50s to the 70s. His name keeps coming up when local blues and jazz guitarists from that era describe their start in music and mention having lessons from Len Lewis at Kitchens Music Shop in Leeds. I have recently seen guitars locally (usually small classical guitars) with "designed to the specification of Len Lewis" inside and they look and sound well made. Reading around the subject on the internet some were made in Japan and I would be interested to find which company in Japan made the guitars. One way or another he seems to have made a great contribution to guitar music in the area and wider. I have also seen an accoustic guitar with his name on it and wonder if he designed arch tops and gypsy jazz guitars too?

Nimrod
Nimrod

Return to In Memoriam