Django Article In Guitar Techniques Magazine

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Django Article In Guitar Techniques Magazine

Postby John Wheatcroft » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Chaps,

Hope everyone is well.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to let you know that this month of Guitar Techniques magazines features an article showcasing a collection of 25 classic Django phrases, along with a minor blues style-study, with all the related backing tracks and musical notation/tab and audio played by my good self on my trust old battered Alyward (awaiting a new one with haste, but aren't we all!!)

I hope you get chance to check this out, and I hope you like it.. It was a pleasure to put together and I really cherish the opportunity to promote Django's playing style to a wider audience whenever possible, so I'll take any opportunity to do so when I can..

Take care, and feel free to let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions of things I might be able to twist the editor's arms with in the near future.

I've just finished transcribing a bunch of Django's solo improvisations/arrangements, so I will probably push for one of these first...

Best wishes all,

Cheers,

John W

Ps.. The copyright for my transcription for Minor Swing, along with a playable version of Steph's solo, now belongs to me again.. If I get enough positive feedback I'll make this available to all via this forum.. The audio is on my myspace if you fancy taking a listen..
John Wheatcroft

Postby pinkgary » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:37 am

Very good. I'm liking it. I think Andy beat you to it, in terms of advertising the new guitar techniques article.

Impro 3 part 2 is my fav of the solo pieces, and i, for one, would like a copy of Stephs solo to Minor swing, i missed it when that came out 6 months (ish) ago.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Re: Django Article In Guitar Techniques Magazine

Postby Caballero » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 am

John Wheatcroft wrote:
...played by my good self on my trust old battered Alyward (awaiting a new one with haste, but aren't we all!!)

No :D
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby pinkgary » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am

No need to rub it in......, obviously a left-handed model takes longer to make, because we have such a refined touch that you vulgar righties can't comprehend! :wink:
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Minor Swing full transcription

Postby Gypsyjazzer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi John,

I'd just like to say I thought you produced an excellent 'Play Gypsy Jazz' article for this month's Guitar Techniques magazine. Very useful for both beginners, and more experienced players with plenty of challenging examples for everyone to work on.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those who missed your earlier transcription that appeared in GT of both Django's and Stephane's solos for Minor Swing and would really appreciate a copy. So I do hope you get around to posting it here, or if not, perhaps you might send me one by a direct email (is that too selfish!). GT don't appear to be geared up to supply past editions, and of course newsagents don't stock anything other than the latest edition.

Well done again.

Stuart
Gypsyjazzer

Re: Django Article In Guitar Techniques Magazine

Postby BluesBopHarry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 am

John Wheatcroft wrote: If I get enough positive feedback I'll make this available to all via this forum..

Sounds great! I'd love have your transcription
BluesBopHarry

Minor Swing Transcription

Postby John Wheatcroft » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Chaps,

Feel free to send me your email as a personal message and I'll send it to you as a pdf/mp3.. I can also send you the backing track too.

Cheers,

John
John Wheatcroft

Minor Swing full transcription

Postby Gypsyjazzer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:12 am

Hi John,

Many thanks for the full "Minor Swing" transcription - it's an excellent piece of work.

With so much of Stephane's solo happening up in the high register (I had to knock the dust of to find most of the frets up there), I found this part of the transcription particularly challenging to play cleanly. Although having said that, if you can get it right I think it really drives along when played on guitar, and provides a great adjunct to Django's own solo. It's surprising how 'guitaristic' Stephane's solo appears to be.

Thanks again for making it available, and good luck with your latest recording project.

Regards,
Stuart
Gypsyjazzer

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar