"I Can't Give You Anything But Love" arpeggio ex.

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

"I Can't Give You Anything But Love" arpeggio ex.

Postby Thrip » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Hello,

Here's a short lesson on one the key tunes in the Gypsy Jazz repertoire: "I Can't Give You Anything But Love"

I look at the chord progression and devise an arpeggio exercise over the changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjK-arBWHG0

Notation, tab, chord diagrams and backing track all available on the "lessons" page of my website: http://timrobinsonguitar.com/

cheers, Tim
Thrip

Postby Munta909 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks tim, will get into it asap - I had just started on the djangology arpeggio exercises when I had my first GJ lesson from an actual real life teacher lol i've been workin on my homework from him this week
I had got me head round your first arpeggio/scalar exercise a few weeks ago but I'm now workin on the gypsy right hand downstroke, previously I was using a lot of upstrokes and upward arpeggios - it's causing a bit of brain strain reprogramming that right hand I can tell ya!
Munta909

Postby Thrip » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Well you're definitely heading in the right direction. You don't need to tell me about the reprogramming of the right hand, I've been through it myself. Still going through it, I should say.
Thrip

Postby Munta909 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:51 pm

lol yup i'd spent literally years practicing strict alternate picking

my brain is just settling down & starting to work in the gypsy picking fashion now after some weeks

been having some lessons with chris walker in sheffield, he is an excellent teacher

:D
Munta909

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar