Fapy plays "Daphne"?

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Fapy plays "Daphne"?

Postby Thrip » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:06 pm

In the dim and distant past I remember hearing a version of "Daphne" played by Fapy. It stuck in my mind because of his really cool motivic approach to soloing over the changes. I'd like to hear it again if anyone has it in their collection.

The trouble is that I can remember very little about it as regarding other instrumentation etc. It's possible that it might not even have been "Daphne" at all. I must have heard it around 1985, so it may have been a rare WASO recording or something.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thrip

Postby Wallace » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:27 pm

I'm your man for Waso recordings. I've got three LP's by them. (one signed by them all) so when I get home I'll check for you. The first time I saw them was in a small crowded jazz club. Having mugged a few old ladies and kicked a few kids (anything goes when trying to get a good view of Fapy) I secured a seat within touching distance of the great master. When they offered to play requests I asked for 'You Took Advantage Of Me' . it's on one of the LP's and he plays a tremendous downward chromatic run and sure enough he played it exactly the same.

It wasn't just Fapy that made it all sound so good, (although his solo in 'It Had To Be You' would serve as a lesson to anyone on how to build a solo ) it was everyone. Vivi played so hard he nearly bounced off his chair. No pickups on the guitars, just mics.

A Waso fan
Wallace

Postby Wallace » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:43 am

No Daphne I'm afraid.
Waso4 ? Gipsy Swing ? 1979 - BM 150227
Side A
Undecided
Nuages
Mop Mop
Melodie a Crepuscule
Si tu Savais
Rosetta

Side B
Fantaisie
I Surrender Dear
Cavalerie
Blues Mineur
Summertime
Fleur de
Lavende

Waso ? Live in Laren _ 1980 -Polydor 2925 111
Side 1
Douce Ambiance
Georgia On My mind
Sugar
Si tu Savais
You Took Advantage Of Me
Summertime

Side 2
Blues en Mineur
Clair de Lune
It Had To Be You
Nuages
Le Danseur de Charleston

Waso ? Gipsy Swing Vol 5 BM 150246 (vols 1- 4?)
Side A
Swing Guitars
Sweet Chorus
I?m Crazy About My Baby
Vert Campagne
Waso
Je me suis fait tout petit
Django?s Tiger

Side B
Some Of These Days
When Day Is Done
Minor Swing
Aurore
Yeux Noirs
Les Feuilles Mortes

The cover of Live in Laren shows Fapy playing a D hole and Koen de Cauter playing Tenor. On all three covers you can see ?stick on pickups? on the guitars.
Wallace

Re: Fapy plays "Daphne"?

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:45 pm

Thrip wrote: It's possible that it might not even have been "Daphne" at all.

......or that it was actually Fapy playing it Thrip? If so, identification could perhaps be a little difficult. 8)
Teddy Dupont

Re: Fapy plays "Daphne"?

Postby Thrip » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:25 pm

Thanks Wallace

Teddy Dupont wrote:......or that it was actually Fapy playing it Thrip? )

...er,yes. I am fairly certain it was Fapy playing.

Like I said, the tune may not have been "Daphne", so what I think I'm looking for is a pre-1990 recording of a motivically based solo on a medium tempo tune with a Rhythm changes "A" section. How much more info do you need?!
Thrip

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:08 pm

Waso the band had at least a few more albums out than the three listed above. At home I have a complete Fapy discography up through 1990, complete with a track listing for each album. I will check this out tonight and see if I can't find it on record.

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby Thrip » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:29 pm

TedGottsegen wrote:Waso the band had at least a few more albums out than the three listed above. At home I have a complete Fapy discography up through 1990, complete with a track listing for each album. I will check this out tonight and see if I can't find it on record.

Splendid.
Thrip

Postby Jan Primus » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:39 pm

Thrip wrote:
TedGottsegen wrote:Waso the band had at least a few more albums out than the three listed above. At home I have a complete Fapy discography up through 1990, complete with a track listing for each album. I will check this out tonight and see if I can't find it on record.

Splendid.

Isnt he?
Jan Primus

Postby TedGottsegen » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:37 pm

Thrip wrote:

Splendid.

Hey Thrip,

Sorry, Fapy never recorded "Daphne" according to my discography. I find that off considering he such a traditionalist and "Daphne", next to "Minor Swing" and "Nuages" has got to be one of the more over played Reinhardt compositions.

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby TedGottsegen » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:38 pm

Jan Primus wrote:
Thrip wrote:

Splendid.

Isnt he?

:oops: aw shucks.....
TedGottsegen

Postby Thrip » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:42 pm

TedGottsegen wrote:
Sorry, Fapy never recorded "Daphne" according to my discography. I find that off considering he such a traditionalist and "Daphne", next to "Minor Swing" and "Nuages" has got to be one of the more over played Reinhardt compositions.

Thanks for your time Ted.

So it appears I was mistook. Must have been a different tune. Oh well, maybe some day I'll come across it.
Thrip

Postby TedGottsegen » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:54 pm

Thrip wrote:
TedGottsegen wrote:

Thanks for your time Ted.

So it appears I was mistook. Must have been a different tune. Oh well, maybe some day I'll come across it.

No trouble at all. But just because you saw them play it live doesn't mean that they necesarily recorded it, too. Which is a shame!
TedGottsegen

Postby nwilkins » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:58 pm

Thrip,

could it have been any one of the numerous songs which use that progression in various keys? Perhaps it was Swing 42 or Swing Guitars?
nwilkins

Postby Thrip » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:59 am

nwilkins wrote:Thrip,

could it have been any one of the numerous songs which use that progression in various keys? Perhaps it was Swing 42 or Swing Guitars?

Yes it is entirely possible it could have been either of those two tunes. Anything with an "I Got Rhythm" A section.

TedGottsegen wrote:No trouble at all. But just because you saw them play it live doesn't mean that they necesarily recorded it, too. Which is a shame!

It was a recording I heard, although I did see him live a few times in the eighties. The trouble is I can't quite remember where I heard it. Perhaps it was all a dream, after all.
Thrip

Postby nwilkins » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:39 pm

Thrip,

what Fapy albums do you currently have? If I have any you don't I could check out the "I Got Rhythm" songs on them for you.
nwilkins

Next

Return to Tunes