Gypsy Violin Book

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Gypsy Violin Book

Postby saxappeal » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:06 pm

As well as having a son very passionate about Gypsy Guitar, my daughter is very passionate about gypsy violin. Only problem is, he gets a massive amount of support from guitarists and plenty of books. However, my daughter is getting frustrated not having the access to the right books. :cry:

Can anyone point me in the right direction, where to find Gypsy Violinist books. :?: :?: :?:
saxappeal

Postby djangology » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm

i know that there is a Lache Cercel video and a "how to play Romanian folk violin tape", but i have never actually seen them or heard them and so its at your own risk...

http://www.andysfronthall.com/fiddle.html
djangology

Postby Eb9 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:36 pm

There is a book called Jazz Violin by Matt Glaser and Stephane Grappelli published by Oak Publications.
Eb9

Postby justjack » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:29 am

I know I've seen one (at least) in the local shop; I'll track down the ISBN, etc., and get back to you. I wonder, too, if they can't share some things-that is, can some of the guitar stuff carry over to violin? Maybe not playing identical solos, but learning arpeggios, diminished scales, that sort of thing, with an eye towards improvising?
(And what a lucky guy-two kids into it all!)
justjack
Mad For It

violin book

Postby saxappeal » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:02 am

(And what a lucky guy-two kids into it all!)

That's lucky gal, my husband would rather watch paint dry. He only suffers samois because its such a beautiful location. Enjoys the first few days of Sweet Georgia Brown, after the 10th time the novelty has worn off :shock:

Still thanks for the suggestions!
saxappeal

Postby CB » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:16 pm

I tried to buy a book called Gypsy Jazz - Violin Songbook Sheet Music last winter from the Piano Spot (pianospot.com) . They were temporarily out of stock, they should have them in by now. The email is zshops@pianospot.com

Sounded like a good book at the time.

Craig
CB

Postby justjack » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:47 pm

That's lucky gal, my husband would rather watch paint dry.

You know, as soon as I entered that last post, I could hear my mom's voice in my ear...she always had a favorite riddle:

"A father and son are out driving when they have a terrible accident. The father dies immediately, but the son survives, and is taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. They wheel him into the OR, where the surgeon takes one look at him and says 'I can't operate on this boy-he's my son!'"
How can you explain it?
Strangely, she never caught me with it when I was a kid, yet here I am...
Lucky gal it is, then, and lucky kids to boot.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby justjack » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:07 am

There are a few here, at least one with a CD as well:

http://www.baysidepress.com/results.asp ... ing=Violin

Look under Gypsy...
justjack
Mad For It

violin book

Postby saxappeal » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:09 am

"A father and son are out driving when they have a terrible accident. The father dies immediately, but the son survives, and is taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. They wheel him into the OR, where the surgeon takes one look at him and says 'I can't operate on this boy-he's my son!'"

I have to say with complete honesty, I had that same riddle told to me last year and I am ashamed to say I never new the answer either. :oops: Could of kicked myself when I found out.

Anyway, the site is ideal. There are plenty of books to be going on with :D

cheers
saxappeal

Postby lnb » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:57 pm

there is a gypsy jazz for violin book by waterfield and kraemer in 2 parts ..my 10 year old daughter is learning from them and loving it :D
lnb

jazz violin

Postby danks44 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:19 pm

I've recently placed some jazz violin tuition books on www.ebay.co.uk - including the Matt Glaser Sefan Grappelli book.
danks44

Gypsy violin

Postby benbows protege » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:32 pm

:D The grappelli books are very good. Also find this book: GYPSY VIOLIN BY MARY ANN HARBAR. published by mel bay. ISBN: 0-7866-0843-9. You can get a c.d with it aswell. The book is the Traditional gypsy tunes from Russia, Romania and Hungary. (Dark eyes, Two Guitars, Kalinka all incuded!)
Nice tunes to throw in aswell as playing the Manouche jazz.
benbows protege

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar