Use of the little finger..

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby emicad » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:49 am

boral wrote:For me ,no problem with the little finger but I think we all have to do some stretching exewrcises to achieve this :
http://www.yatesguitar.com/misc/FiveCs.jpg

:shock:
Oh my god...
emicad

Postby emackenz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:46 am

is that what you'd call digital enhancement? :D
emackenz

Postby Mario » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:00 am

boral wrote:For me ,no problem with the little finger but I think we all have to do some stretching exewrcises to achieve this :
http://www.yatesguitar.com/misc/FiveCs.jpg

EEEEEEEK...! :shock:
Mario

HDT, RH and Pinky

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Hound Dog Taylor did have an extra finger - I've seen him - but he cut the one on his right hand off with a razor. There is a large blow-up of it on a t-shirt they offer, (also on a compilation cd) at Alligator Records. It did not move independently, but seemed to help hold the slide. If you go to their site and look carefully at the shirt, you can see it.

My rule is that anything that helps keep hand position should be used, so I've gone to using my pinky when playing downscale to a new string on the lower three. But I happen to have long fingers and can make that five fret stretch on the upper strings without my pinky and still maintain position.

Richie Havens tuned to an open G and so only needed a thumb to chord.
Elliot

Postby tommaso » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am

I tend to use all four fingers (plus the thumb for some chords), because i come from some classical guitar playing.
I am now studying the Andreas book Gypsy Fire and I've noticed that, for some exercises, he suggests the two fingers fingering (3111), where I think that the four fingers fingering (with the use of the little finger is more effective). For instance when playing the double approach arpeggios, on 4 contiguous frets, Andreas suggests the following fingering:

3 (ring) for the two frets upper note,
1 (index) for the target note,
1 (index) for the one fret lower note,
1 (index) for the target note.

This fingering causes the useless movement of the hand to the left of one fret and then back, while the whole thing could be played staying in position with this fingering :

4 (little) for the two frets upper note,
2 (middle) for the target note,
1 (index) for the one fret lower note,
2 (index) for the target note.

What do you think?
Tommaso
Thanks Django!
tommaso

Postby Cattermole » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:38 pm

I also come from a classical background so tend to agree with what you're saying Tommaso, although I have found that, quite often, the Manouche fingering helps to drive and define the sound of this style and I've become more comfortable with it.
Cattermole

Postby Mario » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Well, I don't have a classical background, but for many years, I did lots of fingertsyle stuff, mostly in DADGAD, along with a bunch of other tunings (yet no standard tuning for some ten years!).

And while many people like to play open (or semi open) tunings because they can do a lot of stuff with very sparse fingerings, I got used to using all my digits, including the thumb. It just came naturally.

Funny enough, when doing Gypsy stuff, I feel more comfortable when using mostly three fingers and changing positions frequently. But as soon as I go back to DADGAD, my way of tackling the fretboard changes completely. Not pretty consistent I guess, but it works for me.
Mario

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar