Trouble with Django's Bolero Rhythm?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Trouble with Django's Bolero Rhythm?

Postby B25Gib » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:13 am

.....Django's bolero rhythm with the quick DUDU rhythm part of the measure requires a loose wrist obviously, but recently I've found that my worn, somewhat rounded tip Wegen 3.5 mm is much easier to get a consistent rhythm and volume than my thinner 2.5 that I usually play with. So, on Bolero songs, I'll use the 3.5, Simple! I think the white colored Wegens don't wear as quickly as the Black ones either! Anybody else notice the wear correlation to color with Wegens?
......Rocky
B25Gib

Postby Zoot » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:59 am

They wear the same fore me
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with Django's Bolero Rhythm?

Postby BachelorNo2 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:48 am

B25Gib wrote:.....Django's bolero rhythm with the quick DUDU rhythm part of the measure requires a loose wrist obviously, but recently I've found that my worn, somewhat rounded tip Wegen 3.5 mm is much easier to get a consistent rhythm and volume than my thinner 2.5 that I usually play with. So, on Bolero songs, I'll use the 3.5, Simple! I think the white colored Wegens don't wear as quickly as the Black ones either! Anybody else notice the wear correlation to color with Wegens?
......Rocky

Hi B25Gib. I think the key to playing the Troublant Bolero rhythm is to make sure that the DUDU as you call it sounds confident and on time. I know that I've had trouble getting the DUDU part sounding solid, because as I pratice it, I sometimes have the tendency to make it sound a little half assed. I have yet to try the white wegens, so i can't comment whether they wear quicker than the black ones. My standard on has lasted me for ages but lost it when I was babysitting some kids the other day! grrrrr
BachelorNo2

Postby Elliot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Boleros sound like crap to me with a pick, you don't get that great glissando effect. Using the fingernails is so much cooler, although I'm sure they don't last too long...maybe fingerpicks just for the occasion is the way to go....?

Are you guys using 02214X on the first chord like in the Astuces book? What do you think the Django sub for this would be?
Elliot

Postby BachelorNo2 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm using x7687x for the first chord, but using the low open E string to get that bolero feel. I'm not sure what Django would use, is he able to hold this chord? On the subject of the astuces book, are you working from the second one? I think Angelo Debarre's solo is just fantastic. I prefer his playing in the astuces book than some of his other recordings!
BachelorNo2

Postby Elliot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:23 am

That must be the next best choice, although I'm covering the A and D strings with the middle finger and hoping that working through the pain will do me some good....provided the pain ever goes away, that is...

But yeah, both books. Anything from Angelo is pure gold, especially something rootsy like a waltz or a bolero. Even the simple versions are elegantly done.
Elliot

Postby joef » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:02 pm

Try using 022444 as the first chord . It allows you to put in the descending line as per the Django record i.e.

regards

Joe
joef

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar