Thought on DG-300 John Jorgenson model?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Scotsman » Thu May 26, 2005 4:51 am

emackenz wrote:I agree. I was jamming with a friend of mine yesterday who owns a DG255 - i have a Piers Crocker oval hole, a very accurate replica of an old Selmer and an expensive beautifully made guitar - and my guitar has a lot less 'woof' in the note than his. But mine sang and bounced while his just sat there I thought - sounds like with the JJ 300 they've tried to go for a more accurate style of gypsy guitar. It may be that you need - with all respect - to 'hear' the gypsy tone rather than looking for a murky flat-top sound.
I'm no expert so don't shoot me but I do think the classic guitars in this style have that lightness of tone that responds to the correct picking technique...

Where does such such arrogance come from ? :roll:
Scotsman

Postby emackenz » Thu May 26, 2005 5:18 am

wooahhh!! didn't i say don't shoot me? :shock: i'm just saying what is generally recognised amongst the players i've met and jammed with - and whose comments i've read on this forum and others - that the tone of a good selmac is markedly different from a conventional acoustic steel string guitar - lighter and with more mids and a certain bounce when played right. It appears that the Gitanes are mid-way between the two.
And i also said 'with due respect'. It just seems to be a common feeling amongst players trying to go for the sound, style and feel of the European gypsy players, Django included.
Sorry to rock your boat mate, but i just said what i felt, there was no arrogance about it - i harbour no illusions about my prowess.
But when i play a flattop steel string acoustic now, it's tone is generally dull and unsatisfying.
frater wrote:I do agree: you shouldn't give up on that axe too soon. My Dupont MD 50 E (priced above 3000 euros) has far less bass and volume than my Dg 250 M. But the tone is in a different league... and it took me some time to realize that.

i was only lending my support to frater's post.

Scotsman - you have every right to do whatever feels good to you - ignore me.
I should stop posting.... :?
emackenz

Postby Scotsman » Thu May 26, 2005 3:25 pm

emackenz wrote:wooahhh!! didn't i say don't shoot me? :shock: i'm just saying what is generally recognised amongst the players i've met and jammed with - and whose comments i've read on this forum and others - that the tone of a good selmac is markedly different from a conventional acoustic steel string guitar - lighter and with more mids and a certain bounce when played right. It appears that the Gitanes are mid-way between the two.
And i also said 'with due respect'. It just seems to be a common feeling amongst players trying to go for the sound, style and feel of the European gypsy players, Django included.
Sorry to rock your boat mate, but i just said what i felt, there was no arrogance about it - i harbour no illusions about my prowess.
But when i play a flattop steel string acoustic now, it's tone is generally dull and unsatisfying.
frater wrote:I do agree: you shouldn't give up on that axe too soon. My Dupont MD 50 E (priced above 3000 euros) has far less bass and volume than my Dg 250 M. But the tone is in a different league... and it took me some time to realize that.

i was only lending my support to frater's post.

Scotsman - you have every right to do whatever feels good to you - ignore me.
I should stop posting.... :?

emackenz- It sounds a little better put that way,I guess maybe I just took it the wrong way. In no way do I think that you should stop posting .

Peace,
Scotsman
Scotsman

Postby emackenz » Sat May 28, 2005 6:30 am

So much of written communication is subject to the vagaries of semantic confusion - anway no worries - good luck with your guitars :)
I've only just noticed that you're not in Scotland!
Ewan
emackenz

Postby Plectrum » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:57 am

I guess this is the guitar you are discussing.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DG300.htm

On the internet I found a lot of complaints about the manufacturer, also about the 500 model.
http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009324.html
When day is done
Plectrum

Does it have that 'magic'??

Postby GitanePlayer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:54 pm

If it sounds anything like the DG250-M then it is missing that certain 'je ne sais quoi'?

Whilst I think the Gitane DG250-M is an absolute blinder of a guitar for the money - after having it for almost a year and playing it in really well, it still doesn't sound quite right.

Just my thoughts.....
GitanePlayer

Postby lnb » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 am

I managed to get my hands on one to try this weekend and thought it was pretty amazing.
lnb

Postby GitanePlayer » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:29 pm

Did it sound like the DG250s ?

It would be great if manufacturers would put some decent sound clips on their sites so we can get some idea.
GitanePlayer

Postby lnb » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:06 pm

No, i have a 255 and was really happy with it then i tried the Jorgensen and its worlds apart i was amazed how good it was, its as good as if not better than guitars ive tried in the £1500 price bracket. The neck is a bit thicker (more Selmerish) and the hardware better but the overall sound was stunning. I bought it.
lnb

Postby Paganini » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:22 pm

I know that all the songs at http://home.wanadoo.nl/akplectrums/Index.html
are played with a dg255, it definately shows the quality of these very well sounding guitars (IMO).
Paganini

Postby blindbluesandjazz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:00 pm

Since this post if up again, this seems like a good place to ask. Has anybody tried the dell arte pigalle guitars yet? I have always played archtops, but I'm looking to buy a gypsy guitar now. I have ruled out the dg-255, and 250's, because of their small neck. I have heard good things about the DG-300, and the pigalle, though there doesn't seem to be much information about the pigalle yet. If anyone has tried both I would love to hear a comparison. My other option is of course the DG-500.
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
blindbluesandjazz

Postby DjangoPastorius » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:48 pm

Bought a John Jorgenson Model a few months back. Sound and build quality really good. Great value for money. Feedback from other guitarists who've played it also positive. Intonation slightly out but hardly noticeable. IMO probably worth the extra money over a standard Gitane but this is subjective as ever. Would like to try another JJ to see if they are all as good or if I just got lucky. Would almost certainly buy another if anything happened to this one.
DjangoPastorius

Postby frater » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:17 pm

Well, finally I received my brand new DG 300, paid 799 dollars fitted hard case included (!) on ebay.

I've been playing it for about half an hour now (after putting Argentine 010 on it, of course) and my first impressions are absolutely positive. It needs a little setting but even so, the guitar sings. Beautiful tone and sustain and the neck is great! Quite different from other Gitane's I own: this one is a really Selmerish one. Don't ask me why, but definitely it makes a difference (expecially on vibrato: finally something resembling Stochelo's patented one out of my fingers!).

I would say this axe is a little bit quiter than my DG 255 M, but let's wait till I raise the action a bit and till the guitar opens up (although I suspect the 255M is a difficult one to equal in terms of volume... it's really LOUD).
On the other end, the DG 300 has a much warmer and rounder sound.

Well, that's it for the moment: excuse me but I got to play it some more now!

Cheers

F
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby SoulShade » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Thanks for the heads-up frater. I'd be interested to know who you went with on the sale, and your experience. Shoot me aPM when you get a chance, thanks! -s
SoulShade

Gitane John Jorgensen

Postby johntziallas » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 am

I've been using the JJ for 4 years now, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. I bought it from a store in Greece but I'm living in Paris now and study jazz manouche at the Swing Romane Academie, so I had the opportunity to listen some very good (and expensive) hand made guitars from french luthiers and I have to say that the didn't impress me that much. Yes there are great guitars out there. Yes, there are many better than the JJ. But thinking about the price, I think that the differences don't worth 2 or 3 thousand more than the price of a JJ.
Anyway I think that you need to keep in mind:
1st: that there is always room for critical improvements (change the bridge with a Dupont, put some felt under the metal string-holder, etch...)
2nd: these are "cheap" mass production guitars so it's not such a good idea to order it from the Net. Buy it from a store. Listen to it first. Check it out thoroughly! They make some very nice instruments but they are not the luthier of the neighbourhood! For example you shouldn't need a fret job for a new JJ unless you picked up the wrong guitar!
3rd: don't compare a 255M with the JJ, they are different instruments! The maple one has a lot more projection but the JJ is mellower AND it's a signature model, meaning we are after the taste of a man named John J. here. Either you like it or not. Take it or leave it... :)
johntziallas

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..