Thought on DG-300 John Jorgenson model?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Thought on DG-300 John Jorgenson model?

Postby Scotsman » Sun May 01, 2005 4:34 am

I'm considering getting a DG-300 just wondering if anyone has tried or owns one and if they think there are worth the money?
Scotsman

Postby Gadjo » Tue May 03, 2005 9:50 am

I have seen these develop from the first prototype into the current production guitar which is excellent. Some of the early models had slim necks and thin fingerboards but this has been addressed.
The concept was to improve on the standard 250 model and bring it more in line with Selmer specs, improve the hardware and add some decorative features as is JJ's wont.

Spec wise the guitar is a Selmer copy in much the same way a Dupont Vielle Reserve is. The only main difference is the Mahogany neck and poly finish. The neck is very Selmerish, the fingerboard Selmer thickness so you can get a Stimer in. The insides are laquered in the same way Selmers are and this improves the sound greatly in my opinion. The machine heads are good quality.

The decoration differences are the use of tortoiseshell for the binding and tailpiece inlay, the neck 'dots' are ovals to match the soundhole. This is subjective I know but to me they give the guitar a certain charm.

Bottom line is I have seen these in the stores for £850 and that is half the price of a similar spec instrument from the cheapest luthier. Go buy one.
Gadjo

Postby campfire » Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 am

I have one. About 2 months, now. Paid $900. (US) I had a Bigtone p.u. installed, and bought a Dupont Stimer for it, too. Everything Gadjo says about it is true. Nice wide neck, with plenty of meat. Very comfortable, and IMO, improves the sound. The sound is amazingly good. It's the most Selmer-like sound and feel I've ever experienced. You will not find a better GJ guitar for the price, and very likely for even 3 times the price! Like Andy said...go get one. Enjoy!

Larry Camp-
www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy jazz website)
"Archtops are nice, but a Selmer....ahhhh!"
campfire

Postby samick westone » Fri May 06, 2005 1:50 pm

I have a JJ Gitane and I think that it is 'unbelievably good'. It is the best 'selmer' copy that I have ever owned and also the cheapest. I recently had the pleasure of playing on a range of guitars on the same day...Di Mauro, Dupont, Favino, Dell Arte and the JJ Gitane out performed all of these more expensive guitars.

This guitar looks beautiful and plays like a dream. IMO it sounds very like an original selmer, it is a responsive instrument capable of delivering the full range of 'Selmer' timbres. This guitar looks, and plays well above it's selling price.

It did however come shipped with horrible strings but once I changed them for Argies it sprang to life, no need for any further modifications. Perhaps the tailpiece is not as substantial as it should be but it certainly looks good and does not buzz.

I wouldn't hesitate, buy one now!!
samick westone

Postby djangology » Fri May 06, 2005 6:04 pm

what they say is true. one thing that I have to say is that I think that the Dupont Veille Reserve style short/low bridge (something that DG-300's and Gallatos have) is something that I personally dont like but everyone is different and most likely you would never even notice.
djangology

Postby Scotsman » Fri May 13, 2005 4:33 am

Thanks for the information everyone,
I orderd one today from Elderly Intruments hopefully I will get it in about a week :D :D
Scotsman

Postby campfire » Fri May 13, 2005 9:58 am

Scotsman,

You will LOVE it!!! :shock: :D

Larry Camp
campfire

Postby frater » Fri May 13, 2005 1:35 pm

Larry, how does the JJ compare to the Daphne Gallato? Just curious about that...

Best
Franco
frater

Postby campfire » Fri May 13, 2005 10:42 pm

frater,

IMO, it blows it away. Keep in mind, I've never played the Gallato 452. ($2500.) I have the cheaper model Gallato (Daphne), which was still $600. MORE than the JJ! The JJ sounds better, plays better, is more beautiful, and has better hardware. It is the closest thing I've played to a Dupont Vielle Reserve. For $900.!!! It really is as good as everyone says, I don't see how you could go wrong.

Larry Camp
campfire

Postby Scotsman » Wed May 18, 2005 5:16 am

Well I recieved my JJ Dg-300 today and I must say I am a little dissapointed, maybe I was expecting a little too much but I thought it would at least sound as good as my dg-250.True it does have anice full neck but it also has the same old problems like the tail piece rattleing and uneven fret heights that make them buzz on some chords,it also after some close inspection has some thick spots of varnish around the inside of the soundhole and at the end of the fretboard. I also notice that the inside of the back and sides is mahogany and not rosewood like the dg-250. I would probably overlook these issues if it sounded as good or I was hoping better than the dg-250 but it has amuch thinner sound not as much low end as the 250 so as of now I'm thinking of sending it back :cry:
Again maybe my expectations were to high but for $400 more I was hoping for more,
Scotsman
Scotsman

Postby Lmntry » Wed May 18, 2005 9:50 am

Sorry for your lack of satisfaction......
But it kinda sounds like you're describing a pretty good selmer style
guitar .
The real selmer style sound really is a thinner sound ....they have only mids and highs....not much low end at all.That is common with all the good ones I've played..Busato , duponts , gallatos.
The mahogany you described is because it is laminated back and sides like the originals...the other gitanes are solid not laminated .
I think the tailpiece is the same as on the other gitanes with the exception of the insert and the frets always seem to need to be dressed....you may want to give it a couple of more days trial period , and make sure you have the strings swapped to argentines or equivelent gypsy jazz strings.

I have been more than pleased with mine and would stack it up against almost any I've heard or played....they just need to be set up first.I even kept the original bridge on mine ...which many opt to replace.

I too tend to like a little fuller sound...and thats why my other guitar is a Dell Arte Hommage (Favino style) which is absolutely superb. :!:
But for the selmer sound , the JJ is as close as I'll probably ever come.

good luck.

David
Lmntry

Postby CB » Wed May 18, 2005 2:27 pm

Scotsman:

Strings make a big difference. My DG-250 was sounding thin to me with Argentine 10s so I recently switched to Medium Dell 'Artes for the wound strings and a 012" and a .016" for the plain E & B strings. Big improvement to my ear at least. A tech at Saga suggested Gitanes sound better with heavier strings last winter, but I was too stuck in Argentine Light mode to listen.

Craig
CB

Postby Scotsman » Wed May 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Yes, I currently use the argy mediums and thats what I put on the Dg-300 as well as a different bridge but it still sounded very thin in comparison to my Dg-250.My friend Rick came over yesterday and we compared the Dg-300 to to his DG-250 maple and even it had a fuller sound than the JJ. Go figure maybe I just got a bad one but at this point I think I might just stick with the 250 as I'm really quite happy with it, I just thought a thicker neck would be nice but not at the exspence of sound.
S.
Scotsman

Postby frater » Wed May 18, 2005 7:07 pm

Gitanes back and sides are laminated with no exceptions, to my knowledge. The interior of the JJ probably looks different because is laquered (maybe that accounts for the "thick spots of varnish around the inside of the soundhole"?).
I do agree: you shouldn't give up on that axe too soon. My Dupont MD 50 E (priced above 3000 euros) has far less bass and volume than my Dg 250 M. But the tone is in a different league... and it took me some time to realize that.
frater

Postby emackenz » Wed May 18, 2005 9:43 pm

I agree. I was jamming with a friend of mine yesterday who owns a DG255 - i have a Piers Crocker oval hole, a very accurate replica of an old Selmer and an expensive beautifully made guitar - and my guitar has a lot less 'woof' in the note than his. But mine sang and bounced while his just sat there I thought - sounds like with the JJ 300 they've tried to go for a more accurate style of gypsy guitar. It may be that you need - with all respect - to 'hear' the gypsy tone rather than looking for a murky flat-top sound.
I'm no expert so don't shoot me but I do think the classic guitars in this style have that lightness of tone that responds to the correct picking technique...
emackenz

Next

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..