Priceless

Exactly what it says on the tin

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Priceless

Postby Carter O'Brien » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:01 pm

Carter O'Brien

Postby djangology » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:09 pm

i think eastern european music is on an upswing...

i went to see Gogol Bordello a few weeks ago... and it was awesome! probably the best punk band ive ever seen:

http://www.pbase.com/elivalley/gogol_bordello

and finally, I wonder if those "Red Elvises" are the same "Red Elvises" that show up every year in Seattle at Bumbershoot?
djangology

Postby Cuimean » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:22 pm

The Red Elvises used to play on Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, CA under the name Limpopo. They did similar stuff, but it was mostly acoustic. They also wrote a lot of music for a movie called "Six String Samurai."

Gogol Bordello are awesome! Definitely one of the best live bands I've ever seen...they even top Scots-Canadian bagpipe punks The Real McKenzies (who are so dedicated to rocking out that they didn't even stop playing when the singer puked on stage at one show I saw). Hutz, the singer of GB, is a madman. I've never seen a crowd at a show here in L.A. get so excited. If you like them, check out the compilation CDs Russendisko and Russensoul on the Trikont label. They're full of Russian rock bands who'd fit nicely on a bill with Gogol Bordello.
Cuimean

Postby FSUGypsyJazz » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:36 am

I have seen the red elvises afew times and each time they were great. They used to have a killer guitar player in their band who I swore did the gypsy style on a tele(at least Gypsy influenced through the russian) better than anyone. Both times I saw them they did Dark Eyes and they also did Bei mir bist du Schoen which they called "my darling Lorraine" I don't think that guitar player is with them any longer though.
Keep Swingin!
Caleb
FSUGypsyJazz

Postby plankity » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:17 am

Cuimean wrote:...
Gogol Bordello are awesome! Definitely one of the best live bands I've ever seen...they even top Scots-Canadian bagpipe punks The Real McKenzies (who are so dedicated to rocking out that they didn't even stop playing when the singer puked on stage at one show I saw). Hutz, the singer of GB, is a madman. I've never seen a crowd at a show here in L.A. get so excited...

I just saw some Gogol Bordello on the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.world-music group, if you wanna check 'em out, there's a good, quick way to hear 'em.

N-
plankity

Postby djangology » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:03 pm

oh crap! the Red Elvises were in Portland last night and I missed it! i could have gone after my gig! :-(
djangology

Postby plankity » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:58 pm

Gogol Bordello remixes Gipsy Kings

http://www.impactartist.com/gipsyremix.htm

Ha-ha!

N-
plankity

Return to Taking the piss etc...