Chording the Melody

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Chording the Melody

Postby phildiamond » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:20 am

Hi all,

I am really interested in learning how to do this. I'm not sure if it is called Chording the Melody, but the type of playing i am thinking of is generally unaccompanied, with the person playing lots of chords and lead around each other. The examples i could think of are the song that Emmet Ray plays for Haddy(sp) in Sweet & Lowdown and some Martin Taylor songs. I don't think i've heard Django do this much.

I hope that huge description did something :lol: .
Anyone have any advice on how to pick some of this up, and if there are any tabs of any songs like this online I could find?

Another Part of Question: I know alot of the Boom-Chick chords. Can anyone suggest some pretty ones?

Thanks a bunch,
Phil Diamond
phildiamond

Postby justjack » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:13 am

Hey, Phil. Sounds like you're interested in chord melody playing; you can probably find some free lessons on the web. Checking the archives of various magazines might be a good start. Also, I know there's a book out there called something like Joe Pass Guitar Style. He's often looked to as the master of this style, along with guys like Jim Hall and Lenny Breau. If you don't have any of their recordings, you can probably find them at the local library (at least, they've got them here).
Basically, the idea is this: you take your lead sheet, and as you play the melody on the top couple of strings (usually), you add the chord tones beneath it. The hard thing is knowing all your chord forms and theory well enough to keep the melody note on top and grab everything as it goes by. Just remembered Arnie Berle covers this as well in Chords & Progressions for Jazz & Popular Guitar.

Good luck-for this stuff, everyone needs it.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby justjack » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:30 am

justjack
Mad For It

Postby phildiamond » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:59 am

I actually just found something fairly useful for it too.
www.jazzguitar.com the 17th lesson has a neat little piece to play.

Thanks a bunch,
Phil
phildiamond

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:02 pm

cheers..this is something i have often wondered about this style after seeing that film.
It'll be very useful to learn because at the moment when people ask me to play I have to say stuff like "it would sound better with someone playing the chords underneath".
Thanks for the links.
Rich

Postby DKP » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:34 am

At one time, Mel Bay puublished a volume called "Masters of the Plectrum Guitar" or something like that. It has some of the old Carl Kress/Dick McDonough tunes & etc., many of which featured chord melody soloing. Allen Ruess is another great player from that era who played acoustic arch-top & soloed in chords. Some of these old players put the bar up pretty high.
DKP

Postby nwilkins » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:43 am

Look for Django's solo recordings of Belleville and Nuages too 8)
Also, check out Michael Horowitz's book "Unaccompanied Django" for transcriptions
nwilkins

Postby phildiamond » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:23 am

Where is a solo Belleville and Nuages? I hear about a solo nuages all the time, and i have 3 or 4 recordings of it but never a solo one.

phil
phildiamond

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar